Living permanently in a caravan

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I'm not convinced that the enquiry is an advert Sir WC, thanks for your vigilance and I'll investigate further and keep an eye on this.
In reply to the question, most of the forum users own touring caravans purely for leisure purposes.
There have been forum members who have lived in touring caravans for lengthy periods for various reasons and there is a very long thread in This Topic which is likely to contain most of the information anyone may need if they opted to live in a touring caravan.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
Parksy said:
I'm not convinced that the enquiry is an advert Sir WC, thanks for your vigilance and I'll investigate further and keep an eye on this.
In reply to the question, most of the forum users own touring caravans purely for leisure purposes.
There have been forum members who have lived in touring caravans for lengthy periods for various reasons and there is a very long thread in This Topic which is likely to contain most of the information anyone may need if they opted to live in a touring caravan.

yes I saw this last night, well done WC, I did not report it as it contained no links or spam material, just an enquiry.
but a note for John, if you want to be taken seriously on the forum and not treated with suspicion it would have been better to use a normal avatar, and not a web address.

edit, yeah just opened the link. WC , interesting I see where your coming from. a question directly linked to a service provider, who posted on the same subject, ummm.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
There's a fine line between fairness and heavy handedness when a volunteer like me has the authority to edit or to delete forum material.
I've seen that the url navigates to a mail re-direction service of some kind and the person making the enquiry is possibly assessing what sort of demand would exist for such a service by asking for information which is freely available via the forum search tab.
I have no authority to edit the url from the avatar or signature otherwise I would have already done it.
If the person making the enquiry decides to continue to use this forum I will contact them to insist that the avatar is altered in line with forum etiquette.
Experience has taught me that enquires such as the one under discussion, and which taken at face value do not break any rules, (apart from the url which is highly unlikely to affect anybody using the forum), are often done on a one off basis.
A simple question has been asked and it has been answered.
As I mentioned I will monitor the activities of our potential postman and if any further content appears then I will draw myself up to my full 5 foot 3 and a bit and go into full power crazed moddy mode
;)

EDIT
p.s. Carole, who reads every bit of print in the Practical Caravan Magazine has just this second told me that there is an advert involving the mail service there.
This doesn't alter the fact that anybody is allowed to ask a question although this will be their only opportunity unless the avatar and signature are altered..

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
I'm sure that an up to date list of recommended "on the road" services would be welcomed by many. Here's another useful tip. If you are on the road and need somewhere to receive parcels (urgent caravan spares, forgotten laundry, forgotten suitcases etc) then vendors/relatives can use Collect+ to post items to a local participating convenience store or petrol filling station. In many regions, like at the pointy end of Cornwall, these may be considerably closer than the Royal Mail or Parcel Force delivery office and with far more convenient opening hours. Let's be proactive and embrace these innovative ideas as they come along. :)

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
I apologise if I have caused any offence to your forum - it was not my intention

Yes, I do have a business associated with mail/caravans but wanted to join this forum so my expertise (over 30 years in the mail industry at a senior level and the leading mail forwarding provider in the Inland Waterways market) could HELP anyone in this area

Simply, anyone who handles your mail and 'forwards it' for you is termed a mail forwarder. If the term is put into a well known search engine, there are many entries with much choice

For getting items/parts across the country members may not be aware of the Poste Restante service run by Post Offices where items can be sent care of the Post Office for collection with identity. Be aware that not all Post Offices provide the service so it is better to check before using the address. Some sellers will only send items to the registered card holders address and that's where mail forwarders can be used either as a one off or by having an account

If anyone needs information about mail services then I am in a good position to advise having been a Product Manager for many of the Royal Mail services eg Royal Mail Redirection. PO Boxes

As I say happy to help and answer any questions that are raised

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
hello John,
I think you have missed the point a bit, it is not so much that one is able to assist other members with some aspect of caravan ownership, indeed it is welcomed, one of our moderators was for many years a caravan maintenance engineer who ran a business in that field, as do others like Gary from ARC systems who deals with maintenance of boilers and heating systems, indeed up to a few years ago there were representatives of major caravan manufacturers who posted advice when asked.

BUT none of them have ever made the slightest innuendo that you should use their services or implied that their service is better than any other, to do so would breach forum rules, the owners of the site Haymarket publish a variety of magazines which contain advertisments that the subscriber pays for, the use of the site by a forum member that contains a web address as their avatar is always going to be seen as suspicious and viewed as a breach of the rules.

it would therefore have been better to call yourself Caravan-mailman or moblie-postie but not a web address,
see where this is going, change your avatar and stop backdoor advertising or you may not be around long enough to actually help anyone.

Colin. [ex miner] boat builder, motorbike restorer, and professional [retired] Diy'er.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts