Locked out

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Fire pal looks an interesting concept. Bit like a Fireball that my son bought. It sits in a holder and is ready to instantly lift out and you throw it into the fire. In three seconds it’s supposed to activate. Great if the fire is low down not so great if the balls residence time doesn’t activate it or the fire isn’t low down

I’m a bit more conservative. Three 2 kg dry powder. One in kitchen. One on landing and one in hall. But several smoke detectors more than normally recommended.

Reactions: Hutch
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
How many of us have fire extinguishers in the home.
I have one in the kitchen, a 100gm, Firepal, Two Dry Powder, in the garage front and back one, 1kg CO2 in each bedroom, and a 2 kg dry powder by the front door. 2 in the car and one inside the caravan and a 2 kg CO2 outside on the A frame, placed there once we have pitched up. Thankfully never been stolen ,Yet.
We have two 2kg dry powder one at side door and one in conservatory and smoke detectors and one Fireshield 1kg dry powder in garage

Reactions: Hutch
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Would you agree that the cylinder I showed a picture of in # 28 achieves the same ends?

John

Basically, yes. It’s up to personal preference unless one specifically wants to be able to prevent an exit without a key, such as young children who could easily turn the inside knob and run out of the house.

I fitted something similar to the front door of our last house. The keys are different to the “ standard” key and came with a unique security code printed onto a “ credit type” card. Only manufacturer approved companies could provide.replacements or extra keys.

The lock cylinders that have this feature are available both in “standard” bit key and in dimple key versions. It’s the latter that only be copied by companies approved by the manufacturer.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Basically, yes. It’s up to personal preference unless one specifically wants to be able to prevent an exit without a key, such as young children who could easily turn the inside knob and run out of the house.

The lock cylinders that have this feature are available both in “standard” bit key and in dimple key versions. It’s the latter that only be copied by companies approved by the manufacturer.
Yes that is why I opted for the dimple key option.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Yes that is why I opted for the dimple key option.

A further advantage of these registered keys is that you can order more cylinders for other doors and then have a single key system for all doors.

I stupidly did not think of the child problem as I have a great granddaughter who is just at that age.

John

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
You and me both. I see that there is a later barrel on the market which has a thumb turn on the inside. Makes more sense IMHO

View attachment 4238

John

I have this in my association flat, I think they are possibly a legal requirment for new builds due to fire regs. Of course no good if you want to put a cat flap in. I was going to change mine over for a key either side but chickened out of cutting a hole in my composite door without permission!

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I have this in my association flat, I think they are possibly a legal requirment for new builds due to fire regs. Of course no good if you want to put a cat flap in. I was going to change mine over for a key either side but chickened out of cutting a hole in my composite door without permission!

Different regs for flats. Individual houses are seemingly fairly unregulated. See #20. But if you just want a key on both sites it only needs the cylinder swapping over. No more security but as Lutz said you can prevent kids from escaping.

John

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
Different regs for flats. Individual houses are seemingly fairly unregulated. See #20. But if you just want a key on both sites it only needs the cylinder swapping over. No more security but as Lutz said you can prevent kids from escaping.

John
Oh yes. I know you just swap the barrell but I decided against fitting the cat flap due to the price of the door which I’d have to replace if I moved out.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Has anyone come across a key that you insert into a mortice lock, give it a turn and then remove half the key? We used this is our rear doors when in SA. This prevents people accessing the home while you are out as they cannot get in through a window even if they smashed the window.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone come across a key that you insert into a mortice lock, give it a turn and then remove half the key? We used this is our rear doors when in SA. This prevents people accessing the home while you are out as they cannot get in through a window even if they smashed the window.
Yes I have one " in a safe place" in the garage, I can't remember where I got it from. It was for a mortice lock.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buckman

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts