Locker door issues

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
As the caravan has been standing for about 6 months without use, we have accumulated mould on top of the rear nearside locker door which does not see sunlight. All the rest are okay with no mould. What is the best way to get rid of the mould or green?

Secondly we have a locker door on the offside front where it appears the mastic is splitting. This the battery locker. The concern here is damp. Can one push some mastic into the gap to close it up if there is no damp or would the whole locker need to be removed to reseal it again?

Locker door mould.jpg

Locker door mastic cracked.jpg

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’d use Fenwicks on the green mould, but it’s unlikely to come up pristine.
Re the battery box it’s best to remove and fully reseal. Just trying to insert sealant in is only a panacea for a short term fix.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I just scrub it off with the brush used to clean the caravan. I do avoid any chemicals as I do worry about damaging paintwork or the effect it may have on the sealant.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I just scrub it off with the brush used to clean the caravan. I do avoid any chemicals as I do worry about damaging paintwork or the effect it may have on the sealant.
I thought of using a toothbrush and Fenwicks to clean the mould away. Can't get the locker with the mastic issue done until May at the earliest!

What about using SikaFlex EBT+ Adhesive, Sealant and Filler as it is grey in colour?

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
i would use Fenwick Cleaner on the green mould
Like what otherclive says have the battery box removed and resealed at the caravan dealer .

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
IME almost any form of soap-based (i.e. not detergent) cleaner will shift the green - we have huge problems with it on our conservatory which collects it from the trees about 40m away. Get a decent moderately stiff brush to use such as those made by Oxo - Lakeland sell them if you have a branch nearby - so that you can easily get into the locker door edge.
I use Muc-Off which is intended for cleaning pushbikes that have got muddy. The manufacturer also does a version for caravans (Caravan Muc-Off) but significantly more expensive. Halfords sell the plain version - but look for it when on offer. A 5L is normally about £27 but I've had it as low as £14.50 - and you use so little it lasts for ever. It gets black stripes off with ease, and its a doddle to clean the van roof with it!
The advantage of Muc-Off is that it is water soluble and biodegradable so it doesn't damage the paintwork of whatever nor does it hurt plant life. A couple of tablespoonsful into your screenwash and you will <never> have smear issues, even when you have used wash and wax!

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The mobile AWS technician I use charged £138 to do both battery locker and the storage locker - removed the complete box, cleaned up round the edges, refitted and resealed.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Contacted the AWS technician at the storage compound and he checked it and said that it was not serious and required a bit of silicone to seal up the cracks.
When he was inspecting he also pointed out that the screw was working its way out on the trim above the windows and he would fix that also. Told us he would do it first week in April.
He has not even touched it so its looks like I will need to do a temporary seal and find another AWS technician as phone calls are not returned. The caravan is less than a 100m from his workshop so we are quite disappointed!

Front window beading.jpg

Reactions: saradanyal
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Link relating to the answer below has been removed and the author banned.
The mould is on the outside so dehumidifier and ozone machine wouldn't be much use, although sunlight and some warmer weather may help.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Buckman
May 24, 2014
Visit site
IME almost any form of soap-based (i.e. not detergent) cleaner will shift the green - we have huge problems with it on our conservatory which collects it from the trees about 40m away. Get a decent moderately stiff brush to use such as those made by Oxo - Lakeland sell them if you have a branch nearby - so that you can easily get into the locker door edge.
I use Muc-Off which is intended for cleaning pushbikes that have got muddy. The manufacturer also does a version for caravans (Caravan Muc-Off) but significantly more expensive. Halfords sell the plain version - but look for it when on offer. A 5L is normally about £27 but I've had it as low as £14.50 - and you use so little it lasts for ever. It gets black stripes off with ease, and its a doddle to clean the van roof with it!
The advantage of Muc-Off is that it is water soluble and biodegradable so it doesn't damage the paintwork of whatever nor does it hurt plant life. A couple of tablespoonsful into your screenwash and you will <never> have smear issues, even when you have used wash and wax!

I had a real issue with Muc Off, Caravan and Motorhome cleaner, where it stripped the shine of the decals on the side of the caravan. This in fairness is some years back and they may have changed the composition of it, but I personally will never use it again.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The link to the post relating to the dehumidifer has been removed and the author banned.
What make you think that?

Last edited by a moderator:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts