london to scotland to buy car

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi folks , friend of mine has just paid a deposit for 58 plate kia sedonna 2.9cdi ts with delivery miles 14,000 pounds (locally 17/18k ) with 6 months road tax , had a quick look at their web site every thing seems ok, car has been pre registered dec 2008 , also thinking of buying one , only problem dealership in scotland we live in london , friend said fly london to edinburgh 60 pounds , 40 pounds taxi to dundee , 350miles drive home ....what do you think...pete

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
it can work travelling to buy a car. if its new then theres no chance of travelling hundreds of miles to view an "exceptional" car which turns out to be a dog.

presumably there is a kia dealer near you which can take over the servicing and honour the warranty? if so then you've nothing to lose really.

Jan 22, 2009
Visit site
I wouldn't hesitate to do it. I would want many high resolution pictures first and foremost and then some sort of money back guarantee if everything was not as described.

I have done this a couple of times, only I have driven or flown to see the car, left a deposit and collected the car the previous week.

I would rather see the car before buying it and if the deal is good enough, you have won a watch and if not you have saved a lot of money.

I am looking to do the same but the car I am looking at is in Hampshire and I live in Scotland

G

You could try for a cheapie train ticket. There are some out there. Alternative is fly to Edinburgh and take bus/train to Dundee. There is a regular service and much cheaper than taxi.

Curious as to why the car is cheaper up here as we usually have a price premium compared with 'down south'. On average cars are 10-20% more expensive up here than for example the Midlands.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Pete - as Scotch Lad said why not buy a cheap rail ticket - try the following web page: http://www.thetrainline.com You will need to book in advance and it is a one way ticket - book the ticket for the outward journey and also book the ticket for the home journey assuming you do not buy the car. Checking on the web page an advanced single jouney from London to Dundee with Virgin trains is

Jun 16, 2006
Visit site
The price is super keen, maybe almost too good (?) If thats the bottom line I would take a taxi from wherever you are to scotland, snap their hand off and your mate will still be in the money.

Apr 1, 2008
Visit site
The price is super keen, maybe almost too good (?) If thats the bottom line I would take a taxi from wherever you are to scotland, snap their hand off and your mate will still be in the money.
Ifl the dealer is Arnold Clark Kia in Dundee they deliver car from one branch to another "for free" - they have English branches which must be closer to you than Dundee!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Pete

Last september my friend did a p/x on his 4 year old Laguna for a 6 month old one. We live in Wiltshire , dealer in Nottingham. They drove the new car down and collected the old one. He did the usual HPI checks first and swapped pics. Very happy.

Cheers

Dustydog

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi folks than for the positve replies , i've now paid 200 pounds deposit after the good replies i have recieved from you all & thanks, i will phone the aronld clark dealers tomorrow to see if i can get the car delivered nearer to home , but as my wife has just said do i want some one else driving my car nearly 300 miles when it has only done 25 miles when i would prefer to run it in myself....pete

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
hi folks than for the positve replies , i've now paid 200 pounds deposit after the good replies i have recieved from you all & thanks, i will phone the aronld clark dealers tomorrow to see if i can get the car delivered nearer to home , but as my wife has just said do i want some one else driving my car nearly 300 miles when it has only done 25 miles when i would prefer to run it in myself....pete
Pete

Collect it yourself. Will they fit a Kia towbar foc?

Cheers

Dustydog

Oct 2, 2008
Visit site
It won't get driven down

It will get taken on a transporter.I used to bring cars down south from a lot of Arnold Clark dealers.

G

Ooh! You have now mentioned the dealer's name. They have a 'reputation' up here if you understand my meaning. Pretty much sell it out and forget it afterwards. There have been some Court cases concerning them and aftersales, or the lack of it.

However, every instance is different and you must make your own decisions. If the vehicle is what you are looking for, and you feel the deal is attractive, then why not.

Feb 15, 2009
Visit site
HI! Scotch lad have had 5 vehicles from Arnold and not had any problems with anything so you must only be speaking from you own problems but then not all people like the company .i do so there you are

cheers Duggie

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
got it , went up couple weekends back , car is a1 condition , still can't believe it 14k , 58 plate manual top of the range sedonna with only 20 miles in the clock , will do it again , arnold clarks very friendly , it was so easy...pete

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts