Long Outfits in Spain!!

Nov 20, 2007
Visit site
What a waste of time! just arrived back from 3 weeks away, did not see one other outfit with marker boards on and nobody I spoke to even knew about them!! They are coming off and will not be going back on next year...

G

:) :) :) :)

Well what do ya know ;) tried to say earlier when this became a debate here. We and friends have not had any problems.

We're supposed to have freedom to travel freely within the EU, all local regulations in all EU countries just can't be enforced on visitors.

But with the CC n Co and the regular worry wonders you'll always have people in a spin on here.

Some questions such as those about which number plates for continental travel become laughable really.

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
Euro

"all local regulations in all EU countries just can't be enforced on visitors. "

Why should visitors be exempt from a countries laws ? & if they should be, which laws would you draw the line at ?

G

I did see a few, but then again it only applies if your outfit is over 12 meters and the majority of outfits are under that. However, if you are over the 12 meter line then you are taking a chance, and it only takes 1 Spanish plod to make your holiday a misery.

G

Because differences are already ignored for vehicles visiting neigbouring UK countries!

Width of vehicles and caravans for one. You are entitled to travel in others countries without hindrance, observing local traffic laws such as speed limits is one thing, every little regional differance such as signs and lights are not practical or in the spirit of free movement within the EU.

Nov 20, 2007
Visit site
It would be interesting to hear from anyboby who was stopped and measured or even fined during their trip to Spain this summer...

G

I am sorry I disagree with Euro. You cannot enter any EU country and not obey all the laws applicable to that country. Licence is given to vehicles and trailers as these are purpose built for each EU country but traffic laws are not exempt. I do not have to use light reflectors in the UK but I certainly do in any other EU country. Similarly drivers may be allowed to drink and drive in certain recently joined EU countries, but they will be charged if they do similarly in the UK.

It is also courtesy to familiarise yourself with local requirements, and obey them.

G

Rubbish Scotchlad.

If that was correct why are motohomes and caravans of a wider width that are illegal if towed or used with a UK registration aloud on UK roads if registered abroad.

I also believe there are still differences with other EU countries re vehicle specs, this means that some vehicles can not be registered in the UK or some other countries, but they are able to visit countries they can't be registered in if they are registered legally in another country.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Scotch Lad is correct. The width issue in the UK applies only to caravans, not motorhomes. Motorhomes can be 2.55m wide in the UK, just like everywhere else. It is only caravans that are limited to 2.3m if the towcar has a GVW of less than 3.5 tonnes. This applies equally to foreign-registered rigs entering the country. If you have seen wider ones behind a regular towcar then either they were let in due to ignorance of the law or because a conscious decision was taken to ignore it.

Sep 8, 2009
Visit site
Lutz is spot on, I took legal advice on this as a friend of mine (Spanish) wished to visit the UK with his German caravan that is 2.50 m wide and he was advised that it is not legally allowed on UK roads, again Lutz is right in that if his tow vehicle was over 3500 kgs it would be legal, no cars of course are over this weight.

G

We're talking driving and legal not just caravans and motohomes.

Again you are wrong as well Lutz, there are wider motorhomes and other vehicles on European roads. Some european countries will still register them I believe and some are registered outside the EU. Providing they are not kept permanently on one EU countries roads, ie, they cross borders as visitors they remain legal and accepted.

Until we have pan european standardisation of vehicle specs and lights and reflectors and warnings markers, host countries can't bully and enforce visitors to make changes to their vehicles.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
2.55m is the maximum permissible vehicle width throughout Europe, including the UK, (except Finland and Sweden, which allow 2.6m and refrigerated vehicles which may also be 2.6m throughout the EU). Anything wider than that is just as illegal on the other side of the Channel.

Countries may, however, impose stricter standards if they feel that local conditions require them. It is this loophole that restricts caravans in the UK to 2.3m, although it just doesn't make sense. If trucks (including motorhomes) can be 2.55m wide, why can't caravans?

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
I can assure you that Newell coach motorhomes have been on British and European roads for many many years and they exceed your 2.55.

McLaren F1 and Ron Dennis probably had the first one and it spent many years based at the old F1 factory in Sheerwater Woking and travelled throughout europe. I believe it is still on the road and there are plenty more that are over width.

G

I think at the end of the day it is the case that do you wish to take the risk? 9 times out of 10 you probably get away with it and think you are wonderful. On the 10th you are stopped and every check in the book, and probably some you don't know about are made on you and your outfit. Getting stroppy and telling local police that they have no right to stop you is I suggest tantamount to commiting suicide. At the very least a very long wait in a police station room and possibly a large fine, which you will have to pay if you wish to continue your holiday, is the likely outcome. At worst you are in a cell and hoping the UK embassy can get you out. Don't bank on it.

The world has many areas where things 'just ain't right', but I always get worried about people carrying guns. If the local customs suggest I should show marker boards, then I will fit them. If they suggest I need to drive wearing pink pajamas then I may draw the line, but a shopping trip to M&S could be on the cards.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
If they exceed 2.55m (actually they are 2.59m wide) then they either require special dispensation or removal of some exterior protrusions. (Considering the difference is only 2cm on each side, this should be easier than it sounds - it may only involve modifying the wheelarches. This is common practice on cars exported to Japan where vehicle tax is based on vehicle width.)

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
That isn't actually the case Lutz, there have also been other differences with RV imports that don't comply with EU regulations.

Other local regulations are not adhered to as the vehicles are only visiting EU or European neighbours.

I've never known anybody fined in our business or people with caravans or motorhomes. Drivers who have been involved in accidents have also had no problems providing the vehicle is legal in the country it comes from.

You might as well insist that I take a driving test for every country I visit.

If Spains wants marker boards every EU country should have the same. The same with French speed stickers.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Germany is well known for having things organised, but even here one sees American vehicles, for example, which do not comply fully with EU regulations. An obvious feature is the amber sidelights at the front and red indicators at the back. However, one can get special exemption for such variances by individual approval if the cost of bringing them into line with EU regulations is prohibitive. All such deviations are then entered into the vehicle log book. Once documented in the log book, no other EU country can refuse entry.

G

In all our years of caravanning I've heard tales about many various problems when visiting other countries yet we've never had any no matter where we have towed or where we've lived.

My own simple belief is that you drive with thought and care the authorities in host countries will be happy to leave you alone and make you welcome with your home country spec'd outfit.

Some of those that have problems probably attract attention to themselves. Often they are the people moaning on sites that something isn't to their like as it's not the same as at home :)

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I agree with you Euro. 99 times out of a 100 one can get by with flaunting the law on such issues even though, strictly speaking, it is an infringement. It's just that you get the odd over-zealous police officer who can make a life difficult for you. Whether you are prepared to this albeit minor risk or not is something that everyone has to decide for themselves.

G

If I towed a caravan through Germany at 150 kph and ignored lights and parking regulations I would consider that "flaunting the law" and I would expect to get in trouble.

A tow car and vehicle that comply to an EU standard and are quite legal in the drivers own country, I don't consider the rear end display of my caravan that is different to some petty local idea as law breaking.

If the driver has log book and insurance and is on the road legally in their own country that should be good enough for the local plods, and in the spirit of EU free movement. Any plod trying to hassle you or impose a fine should be fed in to the boiler furnace of the EU parliament building to help cut the fuel bill.

My UK passport states that I should be

"able to pass freely without let or hindrance, and to afford the bearer such assistance and priotection as may be neccessary"

That is what I expect, not the idea of petty plods picking on visiting tourists that are only driving in their country for a few days!

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Agreed, but on the same basis, 2.5m wide foreign-registered caravans should be allowed into the UK. On paper they aren't, so it's a matter of tolerance.

G

No one has told our friends from Europe they can't enter the UK.

Swedish friends go to the UK or through the UK to their Eire cottages every year with their caravan and they've not had problems.

But then no one hassles the usual users of over width vans in the UK ;)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Agreed, but on the same basis, 2.5m wide foreign-registered caravans should be allowed into the UK. On paper they aren't, so it's a matter of tolerance.
Lutz,

2.5m caravans are allowed into the UK but on the proviso that they are towed by a vehicle that is registered from a country that allows them to be towed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts