LONG TERM ELECTRICAL HOOK-UP

Nov 11, 2005
Visit site
my coachman is parked on my drive at home, is there any problem leaving it hooked up over the winter with the heating set at a low setting to ward off frost and dampness?

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
It's going to cost you a lot of money if you leave the heating on all the time, even if it is on a low setting. I'd just give the caravan a good airing and then heat it up well a day or so before using it.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Would disconnecting/storing the battery and hooking up to the mains be ok while the van is parked on the drive overwinter. What I had in mind was putting a dehumidifier in the van occassionly. Perhaps that would be better than what paul had in mind.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Paul,

Only do as you suggest if your heater has a very low setting like a frost watch. Alternatively you can purchase small fan heaters with a built in thermostat which can be used for that very purpose. It is best to keep all internal doors open to allow good circulation.

For dampness, it is important to ensure you have no leaks, but then the best (and cheapest) solution is to keep the caravan well aired.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Having stored my van at home in the past, it is good practice to have your van hooked up to the mains. you can buy these very small heaters which are rated at around 50watts and the if connected through a timer and frost stat. can serve you well. and with your internals having a good air supply you should not suffer a lot from the winter.

My local council is warning us that this winter is to be the coldest for some years, or are they preparing us for more local tax rises.

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
theres no problem with leaving your van hooked up,paul.id recommend a low wattage tube heater,which will just keep the chill off it.more important is air circulation.leave all cupboard doors and drawers open a little and once in a while leave the door open for a bit to let fresh air in.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Does te inside ofhe 'van need to be heated? I believe that as long as it is dry and ventilated with all water drained it does not matter if it is cold inside.

I hav also been advised in the past that heated air will condense on a cooler surface ie the inside of windows, mirrors or worktops etc, this condensation is water which will lead to dampness so again I keep my van cold, dry and well ventilated.

Incidently I also keep the mains hooked up through the winter, this keeps the battery charged and add to security bcause the lead would have to be cut before the 'van could be moved away from my house. I hope that anyone who cuts through the lead des not get an electric shock (NOT)

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
your probably right.as long as your vans at a roughly constant temperature dampness shouldnt be an issue.if the temp varies by 6 or 7 degrees day to night perhaps then it may be.thats my theory behind trying to keep it at a constant temp.i cant verify whether it work or not,but my van isnt damp.but then yours probably isnt either.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts