Longleat

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We are due to go to Longleat tomorrow,got home today to find a letter from the CC, the access is now via the narrow lane next to the White Hart pub,no arrivals before 1pm and departures before 12.No dogs allowed in the grounds and no walking in the grounds after the park is closed. Seems a shame as we are in the habit of booking an extra night and then leaving late on the day before,looks like there could be problems if a departing caravan meets an incoming one. Wonder whether Longleat is trying to get rid of the Club Site?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Woodsieboy,
I agree, I just had the same letter as I had reservation in Sept which have now cancelled. Have been to Longleat several times with grandson. Alway had a bit of a job finding somewhere to exercise my Springer off the lead. Last time used the field oposite the site which was then earmarked for rallying. Had no probs then with access to the site which took you up and around the estate. Now you will have to enter and leave by the same narrow road. No arrivals until after 1.00pm? will believe that when I see it!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just back from Longleat, the access was not too bad, but it was the first weekend of the site being open, and I would estimate less than half full. The wardens were really good,although they are concerened about the access road.they gave me the impression that any body who wants to leave after 12 noon would be 'encouraged' to leave much later to avoid a potential meeting in the narrow road. Longleat Estate have cut the hedges either side of the road so visibility is good at the moment, the pinch point will be at the junction where you meet the main road, by the White Hart pub.The other potential hazard that I foresee is that vistors to the Safari Park have to pass the turning to the site so there will be caravans travelling through the farmyard meeting Safari Park vistors coming from the other direction. Dog wise our old boy doesn't go far now but I assume that if you have an active Springer you will need to leave the site and follow the lanes until you can find a suitable exercise area but you will not be allowed into the grounds by the house with a dog. If you go in without a dog you are likely to be challenged by Longleat Security and will have to produce your CC receipt.
smiley-frown.gif

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We live quite close to Longleat and the Estate and locals have been hard at it in the press re the restrictions on access and dogs. The Estate say their insurers have made them tighten up given the perceived risks to the collection in the house. Nice walking around Sheerwater or Heavens Gate without restrictions but you need to drive to get there. You will also see lots of signs asking you not to sit,or picnic under the park trees. Dreaded H&S again and staff will ask you to move. Good job Westonbirt arboretum does not have such rules otherwise they would go bust. Enjoy!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts