Looking for some 1st time buyer advice

Nov 16, 2005
Visit site
I was looking to buy a caravan - 1st time buyer - and was looking at a nearly new Ace Award Nightstar or a Sprite Major 5. Can anybody give me any feedback on either of these caravans or may be reccomend a different 5 birth. My max pulling wieght is 15ookgs and my car meight is 1400kgs. I understand the nightstar would be close to the 85% rule so I would plan to load it lightly.

Cheers

Mark

G

Not sure I understand your data correctly. If your car is 1400kg then the caravan you are looking at should not exceed that weight and ideally should not exceed 1190kg (85%), that is fully loaded. Ih the caravan you are looking at is 1500kg fully laden then you will be running into serious problems if attempting to tow it safely.

G

I suggest you look at 'whattowcar.com and fill in your data. It will give you a good idea of where you are.

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Mark,

I would recommend joining one of the major clubs, Caravan Club or Caravan and Camping Club or at least looking at their respective websites before you take the plunge, also of course there is this website.

There is a wealth of information out there, for instance in the CC handbook there is all the towing info and advice you are ever likely to need, it's probably on the website too in the non members area.

Your car at 1400kgs sounds like an average saloon so as a newby you shouldn't be considering any van that goes over 1190kgs fully loaded - dont be confused by towing limits and if as you say your towing limit is more than the cars kerbweight don't be tempted to go there! Look up snaking in search if you want to know why or look at accident statistics for caravan incidents involving outfits overturning on motorway downhill stretches.

Don't want to scare you - it's a great hobby but you gotta be safe!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts