Looks can be deceiving !

Oct 12, 2013
3,037
4
0
Visit site
This weekend we visited Doe Park at Barnard Castle , lovely site massive pitches and even got shown round the farm and just missed the Lambs being born by 2o minutes , weather was a bit wet at the weekend & snowy but was lovely on Friday when we turned up but as the title says when we went to hitch up on Sunday morning I got bogged in and stuck but luckily enough two pitches down was a bloke with a massive Land Rover Defender with huuuuuge tyres on which pulled my van straight out to the gravel . How embarrassing , first time in 5 years I've been stuck !! There wasn't even any black left on the tires of the sidewall as they were covered in mud and then so was the van once we started getting going on the country roads straight up the front :blush: :angry:

Hats off to folk who help one another I and no 4 x 4 quips from the usual jokers !!

https://goo.gl/maps/qqHgkMiitt42
 
Nov 16, 2015
10,753
3,060
40,935
Visit site
Hey Craig sounds like you typed your message after a few bevvies , as I Tend to do, but glad the trip went well.
:p
 
Oct 12, 2013
3,037
4
0
Visit site
I also forgot the awning poles so could not get the awning up but as it happened the weather turned to nasty and wet on arrival and so quick set up .
 
Nov 16, 2015
10,753
3,060
40,935
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
I also forgot the awning poles so could not get the awning up but as it happened the weather turned to nasty and wet on arrival and so quick set up .

You really have to get to Woosie Fest after all your are Knighted. :p
 
Nov 11, 2009
20,827
6,496
50,935
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
This weekend we visited Doe Park at Barnard Castle , lovely site massive pitches and even got shown round the farm and just missed the Lambs being born by 2o minutes , weather was a bit wet at the weekend & snowy but was lovely on Friday when we turned up but as the title says when we went to hitch up on Sunday morning I got bogged in and stuck but luckily enough two pitches down was a bloke with a massive Land Rover Defender with huuuuuge tyres on which pulled my van straight out to the gravel . How embarrassing , first time in 5 years I've been stuck !! There wasn't even any black left on the tires of the sidewall as they were covered in mud and then so was the van once we started getting going on the country roads straight up the front :blush: :angry:

Hats off to folk who help one another I and no 4 x 4 quips from the usual jokers !!

]https://goo.gl/maps/qqHgkMiitt42
https://goo.gl/maps/qqHgkMiitt42[/quote
I’ve even been stuck on CLs when I had four wheel drive cars. One was a Gen 1 Sorento with AT tyres and she wasn’t going anywhere with the van coupled. In the absence of assistance (none on any occasion) my method is to off load the noseweight to very light then drive it off with the mover. Sometimes I’ve spun the nose wheel around and reversed the caravan off. Once to obviate moving stuff around in the caravan and filling the flush and cassette tanks Mrs OC just got in and slowly moved aft until the noseweight came light. I have also used my griptracks to prevent nosewheel digging in.
 
May 24, 2014
3,687
765
20,935
Visit site
I have a fool proof method of getting off in those conditions. I simply attach the caravan to a Shogun and drive off. There are 4x4s and then there are Shoguns.

Locking diffs can make a huge difference.
 
Nov 11, 2009
20,827
6,496
50,935
Visit site
A really good idea having grass in front of the hard standing. The site could have at least made it a bit narrower so fwd could have put the driving wheels on the tarmac. Assuming they are long enough that is. Better still just extend the hard standing forwards it makes getting on and off so much easier. Assume the car was parked off pitch elsewhere as normal coming and going wouldn’t do much for the grass.
 
Nov 11, 2009
20,827
6,496
50,935
Visit site
Thingy said:
I have a fool proof method of getting off in those conditions. I simply attach the caravan to a Shogun and drive off. There are 4x4s and then there are Shoguns.

Locking diffs can make a huge difference.

I had a Pajero 2.8TD SWB which was absolute ace off roading. Compared to my earlier Disco 2 the Pajero was streets ahead. It’s Super Select system was so easy to use. I did think about fitting front and rear diff locks but with a center differential lock and rear Limited Slip differential there wasn’t much fazed it especially with its 33 inch BFG mud terrain tyres.
I didn’t realise that the SG3 Shogun came with diff locks other than the centre one used as part of the 4wd locked mode. Have you had them fitted or were they an option?
 
Feb 23, 2018
889
66
10,935
Visit site
otherclive said:
A really good idea having grass in front of the hard standing. The site could have at least made it a bit narrower so fwd could have put the driving wheels on the tarmac. Assuming they are long enough that is. Better still just extend the hard standing forwards it makes getting on and off so much easier. Assume the car was parked off pitch elsewhere as normal coming and going wouldn’t do much for the grass.

I don't get why these 'island' hardstanding pitches exist. Surely the grass will get churned all the time?
 
May 24, 2014
3,687
765
20,935
Visit site
I didn’t realise that the SG3 Shogun came with diff locks other than the centre one used as part of the 4wd locked mode. Have you had them fitted or were they an option?

My last SG3(actually the Elegance) came with them fitted, they had been an option factoy fitted from new. Unfortunately this one only has the centre but its enough, in four low with the centre locked, its fairly bomb proof.
 
May 7, 2012
8,598
1,816
30,935
Visit site
Looks a nice site but those grass strips can be very difficult if the tow car has to set off on them.
Having rallied Landrovers in my youth I know there is little to match the Defender though.
 
Oct 12, 2013
3,037
4
0
Visit site
CustardAvenger said:
otherclive said:
A really good idea having grass in front of the hard standing. The site could have at least made it a bit narrower so fwd could have put the driving wheels on the tarmac. Assuming they are long enough that is. Better still just extend the hard standing forwards it makes getting on and off so much easier. Assume the car was parked off pitch elsewhere as normal coming and going wouldn’t do much for the grass.

I don't get why these 'island' hardstanding pitches exist. Surely the grass will get churned all the time?

It did this weekend and i felt terrible !
 
Nov 11, 2009
20,827
6,496
50,935
Visit site
Raywood said:
Looks a nice site but those grass strips can be very difficult if the tow car has to set off on them.
Having rallied Landrovers in my youth I know there is little to match the Defender though.

It would have been its tyres that did the trick. Any decent 4wd with tyres designed for more tha tarmac would have coped. Were the Defender comes into its own is its inbuilt off road ability with clearance articulation and 4wd. Saying that my old Pajero did help some out of tricky spots including D2, D3 and 4 too. Tyres, clearance and traction being the key to good off roading.
 
Oct 12, 2013
3,037
4
0
Visit site
otherclive said:
A really good idea having grass in front of the hard standing. The site could have at least made it a bit narrower so fwd could have put the driving wheels on the tarmac. Assuming they are long enough that is. Better still just extend the hard standing forwards it makes getting on and off so much easier. Assume the car was parked off pitch elsewhere as normal coming and going wouldn’t do much for the grass.

Out of respect I thought id park the next graveled pitch up so I didnt turn any grass up but my time was wasted on Sunday morning while hitching up !! :blush:
 
Sep 29, 2016
1,807
216
19,935
Visit site
Thingy said:
I have a fool proof method of getting off in those conditions. I simply attach the caravan to a Shogun and drive off. There are 4x4s and then there are Shoguns.

EDIT: My bad, should have read all of the previous threads
 
Jun 20, 2005
17,630
3,718
50,935
Visit site
Some years ago on a PCv rally at Stowford we were all bogged in. Using our levelling boards under the jockey wheel and the mover was the only way out. None of our 4x4 coped.
 
Oct 12, 2013
3,037
4
0
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Some years ago on a PCv rally at Stowford we were all bogged in. Using our levelling boards under the jockey wheel and the mover was the only way out. None of our 4x4 coped.

Feeling much better !!! :) :lol:
 

Parksy

Moderator
Nov 12, 2009
11,904
2,399
40,935
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Some years ago on a PCv rally at Stowford we were all bogged in. Using our levelling boards under the jockey wheel and the mover was the only way out. None of our 4x4 coped.

Mine did! It was a Mitsubishi Pajero (grey import Shogun) and using the trusty Super Select 4wd with minimum engine revs we were out and away. :cheer:
 
May 24, 2014
3,687
765
20,935
Visit site
Mine did! It was a Mitsubishi Pajero (grey import Shogun) and using the trusty Super Select 4wd with minimum engine revs we were out and away.

And another right thinking man. Well said, sir. B)
 

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts