Losing the towcar...

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Louise, as the van is only 1500kg, why not look at the Kia.

There are some good Sedonas out there which are great towing vehicles, as well as the Sorrento.

Having recently changed cars from Renault(never go there)to a Kia Sedona, I am more than happy with the change.

Huge amount of room inside the car, great tow capability, and very comfortable.

Added bonus, was not expensive to buy second hand.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Mitsubishi Delica's as mentioned by '602' are 2.8 Pajero 4x4s but with mpv bodies rather than the familiar 'jeep' type 4x4 body.

They have the same legendary reliability and simplicity of maintenance as Pajero / Shoguns and high spec examples with 'panoramic' style sunroofs and swivel seats are available at very modest prices.

Aug 17, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for your suggestion, Dustydog. I work full-time as a registered childminder, Mon to Fri, 7.30am to 5.30pm. My OH works in IT, again leaves at 7.45am, home about 6.15pm. Realistically we could work weekends, but would then have to pay for childcare, and then we wouldn't be able to use the van which means we wouldn't need a tow car, which means we could easily afford the fee's!

We are not badly off - I just need to re-allocate money which currently pays for the Freelander to, in my opinion, a more worthy cause.

My children appreciate everything we do and my son knew when he took the entrance exam that it was about money and not just him passing. He did his bit and now we have to do ours. The boys love caravanning but they also loved the nice hotel holidays we had abroad a few years ago! We applied for a bursary but didn't get one as the school expect you to make lifestyle changes first. That means not driving expensive new cars! Ho hum!

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

IF you have a mortgage, and IF its with your bank, or you can move it to your bank, look into OFFSET mortgages. You finish up paying interest only, which can save a monthly bundle for some people .... BUT YOU MUST BE DISCIPLINED.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Louise

Coming in a bit late on this and not wishing to delve into your circumstances but even giving up the current car and perhaps swapping for a cheaper alternative is surely still going to cost money? The education and type of education you want for your son is clearly very important to as it is, I am sure, with most parents. Should you not consider giving up caravanning for a while until the future is a bit more secure (if that is the right term) OK I accept you will miss your trips in the caravan but at least you would have the comfort of knowing that financially you would not have to worry about your son's school fees. Obviously you would loose a lot of money on the caravan but needs mustetc.

David

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Louise

Just a few more thoughts crossed my mind whilst I was rebuilding the en suite this afternoon.

The PCP leaves you with no collateral. Thus you will have to find the cash even for a cheapy as we have suggested.

I am sure a loan for this will be cheaper than the

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi Louise

We tow with a Renault Espace 1.9TD. This has a tow limit of 1500kg. Therefore you don't necessarily need a 4X4.

You could try looking at different cars on www.whattowcar.com

We found it useful when looking for our 1st caravan, brought May last year.

Hope this is of some help

Reg

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
If for some reason my towcar has to go I'd love to get a nice slightly ancient Land Rover or similar. And I mean old! about early seventies old.

My nice shiny not too old car has suffered badly since I've had it with about 4 minor knocks and 2 really nasty ones last year which has cost the insurance company about

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
Hi Louise,

Cheer up!

If you don't tend to get snow/mud bound its not compulsory to have a 4x4 to tow your caravan! My money would always be on something German. An tidy older BMW 5 series or Mercedes can be picked up for very little and will easily tow a 1500KG van. My 5 series will legally tow 2000kg. I have just looked on towsure and the old style Audi A6 touring 2.5d is a perfect 85% match for a 1500kg van. These cars go on for ever so don't be put off by high mileage. They are stylish practical and at least have some kudos so the kids wont be too embarrassed.

BTW. I cant believe the hard time you have been getting from posters. Having people telling you how to run your life is one thing but some comments do seem a bit insensitive!

I do hope you find a solution to keeping your precious caravan. :eek:)

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi louise do whats best for your son, but DONT give up your caravan as everyone has said buy an older tugger.WE gave up 25years ago and have only just returned to the delights of caravaning in the last 5yrs and do you relise what you have missed! Remember home is where you park it.

Aug 17, 2008
Visit site
Hi and thanks for continuing to reply.

Had a busy day at work yesterday so didn't manage to get on here! Still looking at swapping the towcar, went to the Kia dealer today to see what 'approved' cars they had got as they are doing 0% finance. Nothing there which would pull out van so for a laugh got them to price up a brand new and shiny Sportage. They quoted the same as what I'm paying for my Landrover! Not much point in changing!

Gonna keep on hunting!

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
You dont say what your final payment is on the Freelander?

The Freelander only retains approx 40% of its value after after 3 years so a

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
We tow our twin axle with a 1997 Toyota Hilux Surf 3.0L auto. The vehickle is cheap to run from maintenace point. Solo gives about 30mpg and towing averages about 22 mpg. To buy be prepared to pay about

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
good stuff martin, you seem to have a good thing going there.

but, remember the affrontery that would be to some of the school drop off parents, allegedly. good stuff buddy,do yer thing :)

May 5, 2005
Visit site
If you can find a nice site with storage and you dont mind going there all the time thats not too bad,my inlaws store thers at Ladys Mile in Dawlish Warren and the pull it round to pitch even a small car could tow it at 4mph and if you werent happy the site owner would probably do it.Personally I'd get rid of the van til I was finacially better your children are mre important.Incidentally my grandkids go to a village school near Daventry there are 14 in his class and seem to have very high standards.They dont live in the village but all the village schools round here struggle to attract pupils,so are happy to welcome townies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts