Loss of power in Nissan X trail 2.2 diesel

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
i dont disagree with you Johnny,your quite right diagnostics is the best way forward.For me though as long as its repaired thats good enough.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
.........and my Nissan has now done 123000miles and has recently had the gearbox reconditioned and a new turbocharger at a cost of £1500 using DIY labour.
MAF sensors are chicken feed IMO and the replacement at 65000 miles is just fine and cost me £36.00 :)

Johnny........I simply advised the OP it was the first check I would do on an engine that was down on power.
He was free to take that advice or not.
I have looked for the advice you gave at the time but can't find any!

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
LOL GB i know were your coming from.Drop in the ocean.Im now looking at a hefty bill for an automatic gearbox repair,although it still operates as normal im not too chuffed with the clunk out of the diff.Cant moan first real spend in 5 years.It begs the question though why make high torque engines if the gearbox struggles to cope with it.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
seth1 said:
It begs the question though why make high torque engines if the gearbox struggles to cope with it.
All transmissions have a torque limit set by the manufacturer - but it costs more to make a higher torque version so car manufacturers often the lowest torque limit they think they can get away with - it doesn't help that Nissan use Jatco for their transverse transmissions, not reknowned for long life - unlike Jatco's longitudinal transmissions found in a number of very high power/torque cars.

At one time Ford used Jatcos but ensured the higher output diesels were manual only - they've since switched to Aisin for their conventional autoboxes.

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
hi Rodger which is what i have-aisin warner TF80SC.Max rated torque 330lbsft,Cars max rated torque with the dealer/factory upgrade 380lbft.Sort of defeats the object of having an auto.My fault,kept hold of it too long.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Seth - I'm baffled as the Xtrail isn't listed as one of the applications for the 6-speed TF80SC which is rated for 440Nm (325lbft) - the engine only gives 310Nm (230lbft) in standard form so that's a helluva upgrade you had!

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Gafferbill said:
.........and my Nissan has now done 123000miles and has recently had the gearbox reconditioned and a new turbocharger at a cost of £1500 using DIY labour.
MAF sensors are chicken feed IMO and the replacement at 65000 miles is just fine and cost me £36.00 :)

Johnny........I simply advised the OP it was the first check I would do on an engine that was down on power.
He was free to take that advice or not.
I have looked for the advice you gave at the time but can't find any!
yep get where you are coming from about the advice, but the chicken feed remark ? with regards MAF?? i can only assume you have cheap Chinese rip off MAF's . they can work fine,heck they should work better than a knackered one but the proper ones are not chicken feed.I suppose the most important bit is if your happy and the car runs okish,its fine....personally i would never buy a cheap MAF have seen the difference where it counts.

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
Yeah sorry for the confusion,still the 2.4 multi jet fiat.Only another 40k till it hits the 100k mark and that will be time.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
seth1 said:
Yeah sorry for the confusion,still the 2.4 multi jet fiat.Only another 40k till it hits the 100k mark and that will be time.

Fiat's reskin of the Opel/Vauxhall Vectra-C but with the bigger engine ;)

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
You got it.The old joint venture.In all honesty its been a fantastic car.Just of late its developed a clunk on take up from junctions.I was lead to believe the aisin is bombproof.Not according to the Volvo forum though,its regarded in hate.Reading RAYS post on the other nissan thread,his thought path is correct-what do you expect on a 7 year old car.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
We have a Vectra-C estate in the family, with the 1.9 Fiat engine - most of the usual things have needed repair!
The Aisin does have an excellent reputation - but if manufacturers (or owners) exceed the torque rating then they can't be expected to last.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
JonnyG said:
..........but the chicken feed remark ? with regards MAF?? i can only assume you have cheap Chinese rip off MAF's . they can work fine,heck they should work better than a knackered one but the proper ones are not chicken feed.I suppose the most important bit is if your happy and the car runs okish,its fine....personally i would never buy a cheap MAF have seen the difference where it counts.

Just for you Johnny I have looked out the paperwork for the purchase of the MAF sensor...........

Purchased Bosch MAF from Nissan Main Dealer on 16/09/2008 for £35.57.
The part was the same as the Original Equipment and sold to me at a trade price!

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
Totally agree Rodger,plus no one seems to mention the recommended 30k oil change interval.I to have had the 1.9 jtd fiat in a previous car.Superb engine.

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Gafferbill said:
JonnyG said:
..........but the chicken feed remark ? with regards MAF?? i can only assume you have cheap Chinese rip off MAF's . they can work fine,heck they should work better than a knackered one but the proper ones are not chicken feed.I suppose the most important bit is if your happy and the car runs okish,its fine....personally i would never buy a cheap MAF have seen the difference where it counts.

Just for you Johnny I have looked out the paperwork for the purchase of the MAF sensor...........

Purchased Bosch MAF from Nissan Main Dealer on 16/09/2008 for £35.57.
The part was the same as the Original Equipment and sold to me at a trade price!
yeah that's right the Chinese ones do come with all original markings and used to retail for about £75 ,where as the proper Bosch where extortionate, i believe at that time VW did an exchange service where they valued your old MAF at 60 or 70 pounds,did hear something about re-manufacturing MAF's at the time and indeed my local Fiat dealer would sell you an original or you could buy non original MAF' at a fraction of the cost..they looked identical . have to say i don't know anything about Nissan,except an original Bosch MAF for £35 even to the trade? well it amazes me..

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Unlike many mechanical components where physical differences could be identified and thus their origin, or likely performance be deduced, the external appearance of electronic components belies their function and durability.
A classic example is the humble BC109 transistor where there is a standard package, but the internal silicon chip can have numerous different suppliers and the extreme performance envelopes from two manufacturers can be very different.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
JonnyG said:
[ i don't know anything about Nissan,except an original Bosch MAF for £35 even to the trade? well it amazes me..

........but I do Johnny ;)

The sensor has been on my Nissan for 6 years and 60000 miles and works just fine. and that is what it cost me.

Mind you I have recently purchased a plastic centre cap for an alloy wheel on my Nissan from the same main dealer........price £45 :eek:hmy:

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I have a Passat 1.9 TDi with the same problem and went thro a series of changing parts. 1. First was the air mass meter. (£120 for parts) This had occurred on a previous Passat Diesel and cured the problem. But on this occasion a couple of weeks later the fault reappeared on a return towing trip from Wales, I stopped for a break and on starting again the problem resurfaced along the M5, I stopped on the hard shoulder to check the caravan brake was not the problem and ,managed to get nearly home to Weymouth doing at most 45mph. I stopped in a layby near home switching the engine off to check my jockey wheel was inflated OK (as I had a previous puncture) And upon restating the power was normal again. So clearly it was an intermitant fault that was reset upon switching the engine off.
My Garage checked the system and only found the EGR (Exhaust gas recirculation) was coked up. It was cleaned and replaced.
Just t wo weeks later on a tow to Cornwall the fault re appeared, so I stopped at a downhill layby on the A30 switched off the engine for a about ten seconds and the fault disappeared.
Took the car to a super one man garage in Perranporth. He ran full tests and confirmed the turbo pressure was perfect. I explained it was intermitant and on further inspection the mechanic found a small leak in charge pressure control valve. It was replaced (£50 parts cost.). This is a solenoid valve. Problem now solved, towed back home no sign of an issue.
Hope this helps ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts