Lunar Caravans

Apr 2, 2005
Visit site
I am thinking of purchasing a Lunar Freelander (2003-5 Berth). I have noticed that Lunar vans seem to have a lower mtplm than most other vans. Can anyone who has one of these vans tell me if the quality of build work is affected to gain a low mtplm.

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
D, I've recently bought a new Lunar Clubman, mainly because it gave more facilities for my maximum tow weight.

I've found the build quality to be excellent. There have been a few teething problems that should not have occurred in a new van, but these were easily sorted, & did not detract from what is, I think, an excellent van.

Regards,

Peter

May 22, 2008
Visit site
We have a Lunar Zenith 6, 2.5 years old, only had one problem down to frost on the tap.

I would reccomend Lunar to anybody, build quality on our model is great, no problems except the usual teething probs that you get with new caravans.

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
We have endured a brand new Lexon SE for two months! Countless problems, and looking to get rid as soon as possible. Appalling for a new caravan.

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Hi, we have a New Lunar Delta TL - looked at every make/model of van last year at the NEC - could see no appreciable difference in quality within any given price band - question of you pays your money you take your choice.

We have used our Lunar four times so far this year with no major faults that could be attributed to the 'Build' - ok the Thetford toilet leaked, and the microwave packed in - both have now been replaced by the manufacturers.

I would stop short of recommending any make of van - you can get good and bad in every make (just like cars) I would suggest that you check the van out thoroughly and compare your findings against other make vans of the same age?

Good luck

Jon

Mar 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi We took delivery of a Quasar 626 6 berth twin axle in Feb. The van is excellent, build quality very good and no major faults. The few issues we have had have all been rectified without issues. I would recomend them.

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Hi All

We have a Lunar Delta s/b ,its 11 mths old we have only had one problem with it and that was sorted within 1 hour ,just been away in it for 2 wks no problem whatsoever .After its been serviced we have two more trips planned ,Fantastic van cant reccomend it highly enough. Tom

Sep 20, 2006
Visit site
We have a Lunar 585Si and have had no problems from new (2008).

The weight is a bonus and we would upgrade to another Lunar when the time comes.

Julie
We have a lunar quasar 462 which at the time we purchased was the right layout for us with good build quality and not heavy

Only complaints is rubbish back up from the Sussex dealer just like your long lost friends when buying soon changed when you get a problem

Had to contact Lunar for some replacement paperwork and couldn't be more helpful and no charge as well

three years old now and still happy

Sep 20, 2006
Visit site
We have a lunar quasar 462 which at the time we purchased was the right layout for us with good build quality and not heavy

Only complaints is rubbish back up from the Sussex dealer just like your long lost friends when buying soon changed when you get a problem

Had to contact Lunar for some replacement paperwork and couldn't be more helpful and no charge as well

three years old now and still happy

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
We bought a new Lunar Quasar 524 in January 2007 after looking at ALL other manufacturer's products. We found the Lunar to be comparative to all British made van's and better than some. They also had some nice finishing touches. Use of our van has proved we made the right choice for us in terms of layout, weight etc. and so yes, we would recommend a Lunar too.

Dec 27, 2006
Visit site
On Lunar number 4.1st one was a 1986 Micron, great entry van, p/exed it for a 1994 mercury which was one of the best vans we ever had, in 8 years no problems. Next a 2001 Lexon EB , only problem was the switch for the water heater packed up , but was fixed almost immediatley. Now we have a 2005 Delta 640 , this was my dream van and has lived up to expectation, light for its size, every mod con you could need and well insulated so can use it 12 months a year.

Would I have any other van? Well yes if I could afford a Van Master Occasion 640. But until then the Delta will suffice

Apr 25, 2008
Visit site
Hi D

2003 was a bad year for Lunar as far as I am concerned,I bought a new Lexon 640 EW T/A and the list of faults was endless,it was so bad I sold it 4 months later,the first thing you should check would be the hieki rooflight and the freedom of the slide,the roof of my lexon was so buckled and twisted that it fouled when trying to open it,this was not an isolated incident as several Lunar owners at that time were site wardens for the CC&C and we used to compare notes.Mine was so bad,it suffered from floor delamination,

furniture parting from the walls

draws falling to bits

door hinges coming away from frames

ingress of water from just about every seal

suspension fouling wheelarches

and the fixed bed base was steel mesh and a foam mattress which was really uncomfortable.

Freelander by the way was the brand name for mendip caravans.

I do hope you find a good one at the right price good luck.

G

Others can correct me but my understanding is that up until last year Lunar was part of the Tirus Group and as such probably a lot of components and parts came from the Tirus Plant in Belgium. Last year Tirus went bust and Lunar became subject to a management buyout, and appear to be doing well. They seem to be confident enough to re-introduce other Tirus brands such as Chateau again, so good luck to them.

However, what I am trying to say is that you are looking at 2 different organisations before and after 2008 in terms of supply and control, if not in workforce in the UK. I do not mention quality as this is very subjective. Tirus did things on a large scale with lots of computer controlled machines so this usually gave good quality at a cheap price. When you look at the number of vans they sold in Europe, it was huge. However, things can and did occasionally go wrong. The UK vans would have been assembled in the UK and therefore subject to a different 'production' process. Was this better or worse? I cannot say.

Apr 25, 2008
Visit site
Hi D

2003 was a bad year for Lunar as far as I am concerned,I bought a new Lexon 640 EW T/A and the list of faults was endless,it was so bad I sold it 4 months later,the first thing you should check would be the hieki rooflight and the freedom of the slide,the roof of my lexon was so buckled and twisted that it fouled when trying to open it,this was not an isolated incident as several Lunar owners at that time were site wardens for the CC&C and we used to compare notes.Mine was so bad,it suffered from floor delamination,

furniture parting from the walls

draws falling to bits

door hinges coming away from frames

ingress of water from just about every seal

suspension fouling wheelarches

and the fixed bed base was steel mesh and a foam mattress which was really uncomfortable.

Freelander by the way was the brand name for mendip caravans.

I do hope you find a good one at the right price good luck.
Delta 640 2006 similar probs I thought different company owners would improve matters,it didn"t.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts