M1 or M40...M25, services...?!

Aug 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm just musing which route is most likely to provide motorway services I can actually park in, as it's a longish journey with young kids. I'm leaning towards M1 as there are more services, and hence more possibilities, but I've not tried any of them with a caravan. I'm heading South onto M25 either way. Anyone tried Cobham services with a caravan?
Once we leave the M23 I'm intending finding lay-byes and having the van toilet usable; my distant memory of Pease Pottage is that I wouldn't want to take a caravan in there, but I might be out of date...
Thanks for any tips or pointers!

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
chrisbee1 said:
If you mean Cobham Services the caravan parking is one of the best I've encountered. Never seen it more than half full.

Clearly never visited Gloucester services on the M5 then? Superb is not the word!

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Woodentop said:
chrisbee1 said:
If you mean Cobham Services the caravan parking is one of the best I've encountered. Never seen it more than half full.

Clearly never visited Gloucester services on the M5 then? Superb is not the word!

Stopped there on the way to Cornwall in May, Brilliant and very eco-friendly as well.
Though I had taken the wrong exit, you cannot see any buildings or parking until your well off the motorway, will admit to a moment of panic :S :silly: :silly:

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Gabsgrandad said:
I had read that Dusty, -- but will it set precedent, or will us mere mortals still get away with paying?
Sir Gabs.
I guess he who shouts loudest..... will win.
Never be scared to challenge but equally don't break their rules. Too much aggro

Aug 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks all. (I would never stay more than 2 hours, I get tetchy after 20 minutes in service areas!)
I've settled on M1 and will try out Cobham and see for myself!

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Woodentop said:
chrisbee1 said:

"One of the best", ergo there are others.

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
timhowarduk said:
I would never stay more than 2 hours, I get tetchy after 20 minutes in service areas!
I find it hard to be stopped for less than 20 minutes, even for a basic loo stop. By the time you have parked, walked to the service building (and found it, not always obvious from the caravan parking), been made to walk past what seems like half-a-mile of mercandise and food outlets, waited for a vacant hand drier, and then all in reverse, 20 minutes can just fly. I loathe the places, but generally unavoidable.

Aug 6, 2017
Visit site
Unlike my first trip, I managed to park everywhere I tried to this time. I actually found Cobham pretty full on way there (I took last space) and full of motorhomes on journeys back, but I agree it's nicely setup, though spaces are a little bit short.
The surprise was finding Oxford services on M40 are very good for caravans (dedicated area in coach park with lots of signs telling other vehicle types to go away or else). I say surprise as I've had some horrendous stops with the car there.
I'd also recommend Chester for caravans, a nice set of dedicated spaces, again near the coaches.

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Tim, I'm not sure from your post where you're planning to travel from and to but if you're heading from the Birmingham area to anywhere south of London (including Dover) then it's M40 every time. The M1 passes more larger towns and cities (Northampton, Milton Keynes, Luton, Watford) and is more prone to congestion. (Especially when I use it, it seems. I don't think it likes me.)

The M40 only really has Warwick, Oxford and High Wycombe which don't generate anywhere near as much traffic. Caravan parking at the Oxford and Beaconsfield services is good, as is Cobham Services on the M25.

Gloucester Services on the M5 is lovely (owned by the same people as Tebay on the M6 in Cumbria) but personally I wouldn't go so far as to say the caravan parking is 'superb'. Yes there is a dedicated caravan parking area but it's as far from the building as it's possible to be and not overlooked. I spent most of my time in the services worrying about whether my caravan would still be attached to my car when I came out!

Aug 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks - the journey was Oswestry to Eastbourne, my longest tow yet. The original thinking behind M1 (which I agree is not intuitive) was avoiding the horrendous M5 roadworks and providing many more services options for young family that need regular toilet stops! At least that was the idea. In the event I went on M6 Toll and M1 and came back on M40 (after M4, A404(M) detour avoiding nasty accident on M25).
Its a shame that services vary so dramatically in terms of their provision for caravans. Some like Oxford, Beaconsfield, Cobham, Chester, Tebay are easy to use. Some e.g. Charnock Richard are a bit of nightmare! In general terms I'm finding that the ones that put caravans and coaches together along with lots of threatening signs are the easiest to use and the most likely to have a space.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts