M6 Service Area Fiasco

Oct 24, 2007
Visit site
I've never, ever been directed by permanent, official signage at a motorway service area to park a caravan in a car park which is still in use as a car park until I last visited Corley services on the southbound M6.

I kid you not. The permanent, post mounted caravan parking area signs took you into the main car park! Still marked out for cars as well, so that meant all markings had to be ignored. I appreciate caravanners were keeping themselves over one side but what happens when the two sides meet? I guess quite rightly car drivers would keep to the markings, caravans would simply be stuck with no room to maneuver.

I did contact Welcome Break, the franchise holder, several weeks ago but it seems they don't have the courtesy to even acknowledge my email let alone respond to it!

One to avoid in the future me thinks!

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
I have been to the services on the M3 near Winchester. Considering this is on the route to one of the South of England's premier tourist area ie. the New Forest and adjacent beach resorts. Welcome Break think that providing 3 caravan parking slots are sufficient. I wrote to Welcome Break a couple of years ago, didn't get a reply though. Fortunately there are 2 other service areas not too far away. Fleet services where you park with the lorries and the associated urine stink, and Rownham services where there is plenty of room, but still among the lorries.

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
I think we take up too much space and eat our own food when we stop in their parking areas. Unlike the truckers we do use the toilets though. Clackets Lane services on the M25 has minimal facilities for caravans to, space for 2 twin axles or 3 singles. With that place, once you notice there is no space to fit in, its too late, its back on the motorway again.

G

It is accepted that the standard of motorway service area in the UK is probably the bottom of the pits. The prices are atrocious, often the toilet facilites are so overloaded, that they literally are and of course caravanners are giving just a cursory mention. We gte guided to boxed in sections, or told to mix it with the trcuks, or even when given a deciated area usually find it occupied by cars and trucks. One of the factors that is contributory to this is the inability of any Government to allow non commercial parking areas on motorways, as is the case everywhere else in Europe. As the Law currently states you cannot stop on a motorway, therefore you have little choice except to be packed in to some of the filthiest places you cannot wait to get out of. I assume this intransigence on the part of the Government is due to 'loads of dosh' being handed to them in brown envelopes from the Compnaies currently demanding, and getting a monopoly. If there were parking facilties, with picnic areas without commercial premises then there would be plenty of places for us recreational users to park, without upsetting anyone. It seems our EU cousins ahave no problem with this, but here.........?

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
I can underatand to some respect the lack of space for caravans in service areas as we dont tend to spend much or not at all in their shops or cafe ect.

would it not be an idea to have our own parking area just for caravans and pay a nominal charge for parking their, eating our own food and using their facilities, I would be prepaired to pay a charge if I got a good parking area away from the lorry park and it would also stop the cars from parking in that area. Id pay

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
Hi Trucker,

Now that is a brilliant idea. I would be happy to pay a nominal fee like that. As you say it would keep the cars and white van man out too. The area would not have to be that big either.

Sep 15, 2009
Visit site
The lease that is granted to motorway service stations has a clause in it that they must allow free parking for two hours.

There doesn't seem to be any regulation that says they are allow to limit the number or types of vehicles.

If I pull up on a services and there isno caravan spot I'll just park at the back end of the car park.

Jimbo

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts