mains/12 volts

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I HAve a sprite major 1993.

The 12 volt items appear uneffected by mains hook up. Do I need a leisure battery to run the 12v systems. Can I supply the battery from the mains at the same time as using it? If so what with? Can I supply the 12 volts with a supply from the mains without the battery? if so what?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Colin

Yes you have to have a leisure battery. Being an older van you may be limited on the physical size for the battery location. There should be an externally accessible battery box with a pair of red and black cables with battery connections on. Go for a 110volt battery if it will fit, should cost around

Hi

You need to have a battery in line as the output from some 12V chargers/transformers can a prone to fluctuations and the battery protects your circuits from these, secondly if the mains fails you have a power source.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Colin, The 12v components and the mains operated equipment are seperate. The 12v circuits require a battery, unless you have a battery charger / power source fitted which is capable of providing smooth sufficiently high current rating for the 12 v equipment. The charger requires mains voltage to operate it. Some equipment e.g. mains heaters also require battery voltage to run the controls.

I've re read my reply and almost confused myself, but I think you will understand what I thought I meant!

Colin

Yes you have to have a leisure battery. Being an older van you may be limited on the physical size for the battery location. There should be an externally accessible battery box with a pair of red and black cables with battery connections on. Go for a 110volt battery if it will fit, should cost around

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts