Mains socket wiring. If it seems wrong then it probably is.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I've just serviced a 2004 Bailey Champagne. The mains socket in the kitchen would not work unless the space heater master switch above it was turned on. The owner thought that this was normal so hadn't done anything about it. The workshop that serviced it last year picked up on it but didn't fix it, they said that it would take too long to sort out.

It took ten minutes with a screw driver and multimeter. The socket had been correctly connected to the input side of the heater switch, but the 'in' and 'out' wires on the switch were the wrong way around. The switch therefore still worked, but the socket only got power when the heater switch was on.

It had passed it's factory test, PDI and two dealer servicings without being sorted out. It's a bit worrying.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
I'm amazed that the service even picked it up, to my knowledge no electrical testing is done, other than checking the road lights work.

Electrically it was safe, assuming the switch was 20amp rated.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm amazed that the service even picked it up, to my knowledge no electrical testing is done, other than checking the road lights work.

Electrically it was safe, assuming the switch was 20amp rated.
Ray

A servicing includes fully checking the integrity, safety and operation of the mains system, including earthing, bonding and polarity.

The 12v system should also be fully checked, not just the road lights.

If this isn't being done, then the servicing isn't being carried out properly.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Mick c

Are you near the sheffield area, i could do with a proper service engineer, i have been "unlucky" with the three i have had, didn't rate the service at all.

The last mobile "engineer" managed to bend the bottom lip over on the alko chassis, didn't jack in the recommend area.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mick c

Are you near the sheffield area, i could do with a proper service engineer, i have been "unlucky" with the three i have had, didn't rate the service at all.

The last mobile "engineer" managed to bend the bottom lip over on the alko chassis, didn't jack in the recommend area.
Hi Ray

If you go to the Mobile Caravan Engineers Association (MCEA) website, then you can find a mobile engineer near to you. Many members are ACOPs gas, City & Guilds or NCC Approved Workshop qualified, and all work is guaranteed. Blimey that sounds like an advert: http://www.mobilecaravanengineers.co.uk/mcea-find-an-engineer.htm

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Hi Ray

If you go to the Mobile Caravan Engineers Association (MCEA) website, then you can find a mobile engineer near to you. Many members are ACOPs gas, City & Guilds or NCC Approved Workshop qualified, and all work is guaranteed. Blimey that sounds like an advert: http://www.mobilecaravanengineers.co.uk/mcea-find-an-engineer.htm
Cheers mick

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Shocking ( of the electric type) To think only road lights are tested on a service is worrying when there are so many 240 volt things that can kill in a caravan. It seems that Mick C has done a very diligent job. Any idea who the previous servicing companies are as best avoid !

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Shocking ( of the electric type) To think only road lights are tested on a service is worrying when there are so many 240 volt things that can kill in a caravan. It seems that Mick C has done a very diligent job. Any idea who the previous servicing companies are as best avoid !
Unfortunately the servicing book was completely blank. No-one had previously stamped it up or signed for a servicing being carried out. The owner did have the bills of course but I didn't get to see them.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Unfortunately the servicing book was completely blank. No-one had previously stamped it up or signed for a servicing being carried out. The owner did have the bills of course but I didn't get to see them.
Paul, just realised that you are probably referring to Ray's servicings. The above is just about the one that I did.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts