Maintenance

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi all.

Just a note to let you know that our forum will be out of action tomorrow morning from around 9.30 for approximately an hour. It's while we apply some upgrades and do some maintenance.

Thanks for your understanding and apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Thank God your maintenance man doesn't fix aeroplanes :p
I have 101 unread General items and the first screen doesn't say who the last poster was.
Further it's telling me I haven't viewed 298 Woosie posts.
Are we really going back wards :angry:

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Re edited for clarity.

Its definitely lost the plot!!

Old posts are suddenly showing as "New"

In some areas such a Regional Chit Chat and Brand Banter we have lost the option to "Mark Topic Read"

Where it is available on some topic areas using mark "Mark Topic Read" does not clear all the new post flags that have been created.

Why did it need to change?

My son has been a web site developer for several years, and he tells me the best practice is to run any updates on a dummy site or environment to prove all the changes work on all platforms before it's released to the main websites, or its posted a Beta site for a fixed time and members are invited to try it on the understanding that it may still contain errors, which will be addressed when they come to light.

This is not the first time that changes to PC forum have been implemented and, the user experience is severely hampered, even compromised on one occasion where member details were displayed than should have been. I know that PC forum is not the highest priority in Haymarket's empire, but all too often changes are implemented that clearly have not been thoroughly tested.

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Its definitely gone backwards, We have lost teh ability to mark " threads as read" and its dose where it still appears on the page header when its used it does not clear the new posts which I have decided not to read, so its all very confusing and a giant backwards step.

Why did it need to change?

I have no doubt we will get the its "teething troubles" excuse, but good site development and maintenance should be test run on a dummy site to make sure these sorts of errors do not get through to the real web pages.

So that makes us Test Drive Dummies then??

It changed for changes sake. Most software developers have ADHD I understand. Don't fix wot ain't broken I say.

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback everyone, it will be passed on. If you have specific queries, please explain them as clearly as possible, to ensure we're able to remedy matters and thanks for your patience.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
We know of things that aren't working since the upgrade. Please could you let us know what things were planned changes in the upgrade?

There also appears to be a new default that displays only 'new' posts since last viewed. I find this annoying and keep resetting it to 'last 24 hours' or similar so I can see the history.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I think I will not look at the website until after the weekend, too many little jobs around the house and van to do. Bye for now all .
Very best Regards to all.
Hutch

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:
There also appears to be a new default that displays only 'new' posts since last viewed. I find this annoying and keep resetting it to 'last 24 hours' or similar so I can see the history.

Once changed, it should save your settings for next time.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi Lizzie. Similar issue to those above. It isn't showing unread posts in some sections but flagging up lots of unread posts ( which I have read) in others. Can you send in another techie please.
Mel

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Mel said:
Hi Lizzie. Similar issue to those above. It isn't showing unread posts in some sections but flagging up lots of unread posts ( which I have read) in others. Can you send in another techie please.
Mel
How about pressing the back to before changes buttob :p

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Mel said:
Mel

Hi Mel and thanks for posting. We're investigating this issue now.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
LizziePope said:
WoodlandsCamper said:

Once changed, it should save your settings for next time.

Maybe that's what the programmer thought it should, but it doesn't.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The apparent number of 'New' entries shown in green seems to be the same all round. That is, number of replies plus original.

Just had my weekly browse and thought we had a large number of new correspondents !

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Lizzie

Things seem to be getting back to where we were in most respects now.

It would be interesting to know what changes were planned and why?

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Re Automatic emails for replies:

After a previous upgrade we managed to get you to revert to NOT having automatic reply emails as the default. It now appears that this has gone back to getting emails again. Please could you check.

Edit - or did I accidentally hit the 'Subscribe' key? :unsure:

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:

After a previous upgrade we managed to get you to revert to NOT having automatic reply emails as the default. It now appears that this has gone back to getting emails again. Please could you check.

I have found tat I am now receiving emails about new postings. THIS MUST STOP. I have not requested them, and if you have reverted to "opt out "rather than "opt in", then you are going to make this contributor very angry.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I recieved one Email but went back and edited the "subscirbe" to unsubscribe and all has been good. Finger trouble.

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
WoodlandsCamper said:

I have found tat I am now receiving emails about new postings. THIS MUST STOP. I have not requested them, and if you have reverted to "opt out "rather than "opt in", then you are going to make this contributor very angry.
Dear Mr Angry, I too am getting auto subscribe to thread, however go back to the thread and click unsubscribe until this is fixed. If nothing else it will lower your blood pressure :p :p

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts