Make/Model advice for newbies please

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I would go along with the advice given. As a first time buyer and with no experience of the subject I would stick with a reputable dealer, as was said it will cost a bit more but you are far less likely to be sold a problem model and will get some guarantee and good legal rights if things go wrong. With a private sale there can be problems and there are a few people out there selling seriously wrong caravans to unsuspecting people. If you buy privately make sure you have a caravan engineer look it over as he should know what to look for

Mentioning a reputable known dealership is a very strong and valid point as there are a few fly by night dealers around to catch the unwary. Also do not forget to ask for the service history of the caravan as that should have been done annually.

When buying privately a ruse is to tell the person that they have other buyers lined up who are willing to pay even more than what the buyer is asking or that the next person will definitely be taking the caravan. Be careful if buying privately to save a few bob as it may cost you more in the long run if something goes wrong. There are many honest sellers out there, but there are always a few chancers who will swear that the caravan does not have any damp.

Enjoy visiting all the dealerships and do not be afraid to ask any questions.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Mentioning a reputable known dealership is a very strong and valid point as there are a few fly by night dealers around to catch the unwary. Also do not forget to ask for the service history of the caravan as that should have been done annually.

When buying privately a ruse is to tell the person that they have other buyers lined up who are willing to pay even more than what the buyer is asking or that the next person will definitely be taking the caravan. Be careful if buying privately to save a few bob as it may cost you more in the long run if something goes wrong. There are many honest sellers out there, but there are always a few chancers who will swear that the caravan does not have any damp.

It’s quite difficult knowing how a dealership will treat you when things go wrong. A friend of mine bought an Autotrail motorhome from a very well known and established dealership in the Home Counties. He’s had it 18 months and it cost £36000 for a 2011 model. Early problems were addressed but these were relatively straightforward part failures. I’d advised him to have regular damp checks. At 6 months damp was found. So they had it in for “ repairs”. Then at 12 months more was found in the same area so the repairs hadn’t been successful. In it went for a second set of repairs. He rechecked at 15 months and damagingly high levels of damp were found and the affected area had extended. Dealership said it was out of warranty. So he took it to a repair Center in Somerset who estimate a cost of £10k to repair. So now he’s asking the original dealership to take it back and refund him less his beneficial usage. They have not responded yet, but he’s fully intent on using consumer legislation to pursue his rights if that should prove necessary. He’s been so affected by the situation that whatever the outcome, motorhome will be going and it’s AirBnB from hereon.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It’s quite difficult knowing how a dealership will treat you when things go wrong. A friend of mine bought an Autotrail motorhome from a very well known and established dealership in the Home Counties. He’s had it 18 months and it cost £36000 for a 2011 model. Early problems were addressed but these were relatively straightforward part failures. I’d advised him to have regular damp checks. At 6 months damp was found. So they had it in for “ repairs”. Then at 12 months more was found in the same area so the repairs hadn’t been successful. In it went for a second set of repairs. He rechecked at 15 months and damagingly high levels of damp were found and the affected area had extended. Dealership said it was out of warranty. So he took it to a repair Center in Somerset who estimate a cost of £10k to repair. So now he’s asking the original dealership to take it back and refund him less his beneficial usage. They have not responded yet, but he’s fully intent on using consumer legislation to pursue his rights if that should prove necessary. He’s been so affected by the situation that whatever the outcome, motorhome will be going and it’s AirBnB from hereon.

I think I may have an inkling of the name of the dealership going by past reviews, but you are correct regarding an established dealership which was probably why "reputable" was also mention. I guess we have now put off the OP from ever venturing into caravan ownership. LOL! :D

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
It’s enough to put anyone off buying a caravan ! I have bought my last two caravans privately and had no problems both sellers were very nice and honest they answered all my questions and I had a few ! So please don’t be put off by depressing answers/reviews on here

Reactions: stevebill
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It’s enough to put anyone off buying a caravan ! I have bought my last two caravans privately and had no problems both sellers were very nice and honest they answered all my questions and I had a few ! So please don’t be put off by depressing answers/reviews on here
Some of the reviews or answers may not be to your liking, but they are facts based on members ownership experiences. Every caravan owned by me has had damp, and I’ve had a total of one front panel replaced through cracking and two rear panels ( Bailey and Swift) replaced, plus a complete axle failure. No point in hiding experiences they are something that any caravanner may encounter.

Jul 23, 2022
Visit site
Like the O.P., I'm a newbie and looking for my first van. After searching for months, we thought we had found " the one", - well looked after, all the paperwork, the last 10 years service stamps and stickers. We agreed a verbal price with the seller ( private) and made it " dependant on engineers inspection". I'm so glad we did...... The AWS approved pre-purchase inspection cost £150, but saved us thousands as he found a few patches of high reading damp, poor combustion on the appliances, tyres that were well out of date, plus a few other minor things. We were sad to walk away, but the head ( and wallet) must over rule the heart !

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Some of the reviews or answers may not be to your liking, but they are facts based on members ownership experiences. Every caravan owned by me has had damp, and I’ve had a total of one front panel replaced through cracking and two rear panels ( Bailey and Swift) replaced, plus a complete axle failure. No point in hiding experiences they are something that any caravanner may encounter.
On the opposite side, my first caravan a Sterling Eccles Jewel, and my next two Coachman have been damp free, a rear panel on the present one replaced at year three by Coachman at Hull no problems. Some you win some you feel bad and never forget.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We also brought a one owner caravan private and it was a great buy and the previous owner was great

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We also brought a one owner caravan private and it was a great buy and the previous owner was great
The previous owner might be great, honest and pleasant with a nicely maintained and immaculate caravan. But there’s no way of knowing what might crop up post purchase. It’s a bit of a lottery and unfortunately there isn’t the in depth of data on caravans that there is on cars. But that shouldn’t put anyone off buying a caravan as we always enjoyed our trips away. They just need to be aware that it’s not all plain sailing if things go awry.

Mar 5, 2023
Visit site
Several comments have included the suggestion of getting your own damp meter. and some have also suggested using it to check your prospective purchase.

Most moisture meters use two sharp points that you need to press into the the material you want to check. That will leave marks in the surface, Professionals know how to do this with minimal visual impact.There are some non invasive meters which tend to be more expensive and are probably more likely to be used by professionals.

If you do get a meter, you need to understand what the readings show, and how certain caravan constructions can skew readings.

Under no circumstances should you use a meter without the owners permission as you are technically damaging the goods.

Ok mate, good point 👍🏼 I’ll check it checked professionally before the purchase then maybe look into how to check yourself for future piece of mind.

Cheers
Ollie

Mar 5, 2023
Visit site
I would go along with the advice given. As a first time buyer and with no experience of the subject I would stick with a reputable dealer, as was said it will cost a bit more but you are far less likely to be sold a problem model and will get some guarantee and good legal rights if things go wrong. With a private sale there can be problems and there are a few people out there selling seriously wrong caravans to unsuspecting people. If you buy privately make sure you have a caravan engineer look it over as he should know what to look for.
Of the three models you are looking at a lot may depend on your tow car and its kerb weight and towing capacity.
Lunar have gone out of business but all caravans use the same parts and it is only the body parts that are different. Frankly with any caravan over 5 years old getting new parts if you need them is difficult. A firm called Caravan Panels in Preston do make parts for hem. The caravans tend to be lighter than other makes which helps when towing. Provided you have a clear damp test I would not rule it out. We have had two and although the first one did have damp, this showed up quickly, and was sorted by the dealer. All of the makes do sometimes have damp problems in some models so a clear damp check is the best bet.
Bailey is a fairly middle of the road make and a decent model that has been well looked after should be a good buy. Do make sure the damp check covers the floor though as some models have had problems there.
Coachman are probably the best made of the three, but tend to be heavier, which might rule it out if the car is not up to it.

Awesome, thanks for that 👍🏼 We are steering towards the Bailey Unicorn 2015 atm. Will buy from a reputable dealer though and get a full damp check prior to buying 👍🏼

Ollie

Mar 5, 2023
Visit site

I live 10 mins from White-Arches caravans which are a very reputable dealer (I think) so gonna speak with them to see if they have what I’m after, or try get them to source me one 👍🏼

Thanks,
Ollie

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I live 10 mins from White-Arches caravans which are a very reputable dealer (I think) so gonna speak with them to see if they have what I’m after, or try get them to source me one 👍🏼

Thanks,
Ollie
There are various “ review “ sites that might give an idea how customers rate companies. Might be worth a trawl.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

Thanks,
Ollie
May I suggest that if possible you also look at other dealerships within a 50 mile radius of your home. You can then use one to play up with another if you get my drift. LOL!

Reactions: Gixergupster
May 7, 2012
Visit site
May I suggest that if possible you also look at other dealerships within a 50 mile radius of your home. You can then use one to play up with another if you get my drift. LOL!
Not sure this works at the moment as sales are still reportedly very good. There do seem to be a few more caravans for sale but not sure if there is any real competition yet and you need to find two with the model you want which could be a problem.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I’m with Clive here. The OP has no knowledge of caravans being a first time buyer. The general consensus is that his investment will be best protected buying from a recognised well respected dealer. He gets the full protection of the Consumer Rights Act 2015. Plus if he uses his credit card for all or part he gets further financial protection under theConsumer Credit Act Section 75.
Some of the most “ nice and honest” private sellers are brilliant actors🤪. Privately he is pretty much alone . Any legal attempts at redress against the private seller will not be easy .

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dusty just beat me to this reply.

As a novice the OP does not have the experience and knowledge about many of the major pitfalls that can afflict a caravan, and as such he would be an easy target for a dishonest seller. but even if the seller wasn't trying to be dishonest, the caravan may still have some significant issues that a knowledgeable caravanner of professional techie might spot and avoid making an expensive mistake.

Especially as a novice it makes sense to use the expert knowledge that a good dealer is expected provide to help make a safer decision.

Even dealers can make honest mistakes, but becasue of the commercial status they have to comply with the provisions of the Consumer Rights Act and that will give further assurance to the OP that if the a issue arrises they do have legal rights they can use.

I am sure there are many perfectly honest private sellers, but its increasingly the case that thieves are dishonestly posing as private sellers and making private sales potentially more difficult to spot the scams before its too late.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
In the past I have always advised newcomers to go on YouTube and search for "damp caravan repairs" to give an insight into what can be lurking beneath the shiny-well polished exterior of an otherwise sound looking caravan to reinforce the importance of doing thorough checks and getting a decent warranty before handing over significant sums of money.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Novel idea, but you risk putting them off altogether.

Forewarned and all that. More about showing the risk of NOT checking rather than blundering in blind. I posted on CT a few months back about a mate who bought a 2014 Elddis and discovered damp......... Once the inner wall boards were stripped out it was awful! He did a cracking job of the repair but it ended up more of a restoration than a repair.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
My kid brother, 60 years old, asked for help the other day,saying he was wanting, to buy a caravan to get away for weekends, and showed me an Elldis around 20 years old up for £2500, private sale with full awning.
I started to tell him all the salient points of damp etc, then the costs involved, EHU, gas and pitch fees, storage. He was still enthusiastic, and then started to look at the cost of newer 4 berth caravans, to be able to take the Grand kids away with them, but has this week gone a bit quiet. I wonder if he is rethinking ????

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
I imagine it goes without saying that you have a suitable car with which to tow any caravan. A safe match basically and with adequate power.
Additionally I imagine you have a driving license that qualifies you for towing the caravan you eventually choose?
Lastly depending upon how new your van will be makes a massive difference with regards to potential water ingress issues. My van has no wood in the construction save a plywood top to the floor. Consequently testing for damp other than in the upper floor is not required. There is nothing to rot.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I imagine it goes without saying that you have a suitable car with which to tow any caravan. A safe match basically and with adequate power.
Additionally I imagine you have a driving license that qualifies you for towing the caravan you eventually choose?
Lastly depending upon how new your van will be makes a massive difference with regards to potential water ingress issues. My van has no wood in the construction save a plywood top to the floor. Consequently testing for damp other than in the upper floor is not required. There is nothing to rot.
John, If I may call you that, with the new driving licences, everyone can drive a car Up to 3.5 kg and then tow a trailer Up to 3.5 , if the tow car allows.
Scary really but yet again , that's how I learned, 18 year old with a 3litre Rover and a huge twin axle caravan, or three motor bike trailer at well over 75 mph, back from a race day.
Young and stupid. Still feel young and now 70, others say, still stupid. But keep to load and speed limits

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
John, If I may call you that, with the new driving licences, everyone can drive a car Up to 3.5 kg and then tow a trailer Up to 3.5 ,
It isn't just "new" driving licences, the law was changed and retrospectively anyone with the basic car driving licence entitlement "B" only, is now awarded entitlement "Be", very much like it used be prior to Jan 1997. The DVSA has amended the electronic records, and there is no need to change your photo card licence untill it's next renewal is due.

Reactions: GaryB
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
John, If I may call you that, with the new driving licences, everyone can drive a car Up to 3.5 kg and then tow a trailer Up to 3.5 , if the tow car allows.
Scary really but yet again , that's how I learned, 18 year old with a 3litre Rover and a huge twin axle caravan, or three motor bike trailer at well over 75 mph, back from a race day.
Young and stupid. Still feel young and now 70, others say, still stupid. But keep to load and speed limits
I know cars were getting lighter until PHEV/ EV arrived but that’s a very lightweight outfit. 😱

• Haha
Reactions: Milkfloat

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts