Make/Model advice for newbies please

Mar 5, 2023
Visit site
Hi guys… we’re about to purchase our first ever caravan. We’re looking for a 4 berth 2014 onwards with a fixed double bed and modern interior.

So far we’ve liked the look of:-

•Lunar Clubman SE
•Bailey Unicorn Valencia
•Coachman 575

We have about £15000-£17000

All thoughts/advise would be very much appreciated on quality, common faults etc.

Thanks in advance
Ollie

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
THE most important advice is to get a full damp report on ANY caravan you think if purchasing.
Water ingress into a caravan can lead to incredibly high repair costs. Water ingress KILLS caravans.
I am not trying to frighten you, but many first time buyers really get their fingers burnt buying leaking caravans.
Do a Google search for damp in caravans to get an idea of the problems damp can cause.

Good luck with your search, but be ruled by your head not your heart, oh and check whatever you plan on towing it with is actually legally capable of doing so.

Mar 5, 2023
Visit site
THE most important advice is to get a full damp report on ANY caravan you think if purchasing.
Water ingress into a caravan can lead to incredibly high repair costs. Water ingress KILLS caravans.
I am not trying to frighten you, but many first time buyers really get their fingers burnt buying leaking caravans.
Do a Google search for damp in caravans to get an idea of the problems damp can cause.

Good luck with your search, but be ruled by your head not your heart, oh and check whatever you plan on towing it with is actually legally capable of doing so.

Ok brill, thanks for that good advise, much appreciated 👍🏼

Ollie

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You are suggesting your looking for S/H caravans

I'd strongly suggest that whilst it might cost a bit more than a private sale, getting your first caravan from a dealer gives you addition rights and backup if anything starts to go wrong with the caravan.

I totally agree with Plod, find a caravan your interested in and before you make a binding offer, get it checked out by an Approved Workshop Scheme (AWS) engineer for faults and damp. Its worth the cost for the peace of mind.

If the seller (private or dealer) is unhappy with you getting a second opinion about the caravan, then that is a reason to walk away.

Ask all pertinent questions before you agree to buy, and if anything is not satisfactorily explained again smell a rat.

Reactions: Gixergupster
Mar 5, 2023
Visit site
You are suggesting your looking for S/H caravans

I'd strongly suggest that whilst it might cost a bit more than a private sale, getting your first caravan from a dealer gives you addition rights and backup if anything starts to go wrong with the caravan.

I totally agree with Plod, find a caravan your interested in and before you make a binding offer, get it checked out by an Approved Workshop Scheme (AWS) engineer for faults and damp. Its worth the cost for the peace of mind.

If the seller (private or dealer) is unhappy with you getting a second opinion about the caravan, then that is a reason to walk away.

Ask all pertinent questions before you agree to buy, and if anything is not satisfactorily explained again smell a rat.

Is this covered in a “habitation check”?

thanks,
Ollie

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Gixergupster,
I‘d be very careful buying a Lunar. The company no longer exists and this means spares will be harder to obtain other than generic stuff.
Frankly there’s not much between the main players so include them all in your search.

As this is your first venture I full y agree with the Prof, buy from a Dealer for more protection.

Mar 5, 2023
Visit site
Gixergupster,
I‘d be very careful buying a Lunar. The company no longer exists and this means spares will be harder to obtain other than generic stuff.
Frankly there’s not much between the main players so include them all in your search.

As this is your first venture I full y agree with the Prof, buy from a Dealer for more protection.

Oh wow really, I wasn’t aware of this 😱 I’d sway towards the Bailey I think now then. Any idea how much it costs to get a damp check done? Also, is it worth buying a “damp meter” and checking it yourself? Just looked and they only cost about £15 🤷🏻‍♂️.

Thanks,
Ollie

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Oh wow really, I wasn’t aware of this 😱 I’d sway towards the Bailey I think now then. Any idea how much it costs to get a damp check done? Also, is it worth buying a “damp meter” and checking it yourself? Just looked and they only cost about £15 🤷🏻‍♂️.

Thanks,
Ollie
Just a damp check alone should be around £50-60 by an AWS technician. I used a damp meter to keep an eye on mine but still had formal damp checks by a professional.

Mar 5, 2023
Visit site
Just a damp check alone should be around £50-60 by an AWS technician. I used a damp meter to keep an eye on mine but still had formal damp checks by a professional.

Oh ok, defo sounds worth getting it checked professionally then, and like yourself… keep an eye on it with your own meter 👍🏼

thank you,
Ollie

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
My damp meter cost about £25, check around seal or windows etc, you don't check in places where probes holes, could be left to be seen, the Prof will tell me later about that. If someone came to inspect my van for damp then I would have no problems letting them check. The holes seal quickly anyway.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2023
Visit site
My damp meter cost about £25, check around seal or windows etc, you don't check in places where probes holes are seen, the Prof will tell me later about that. If someone came to inspect my van for damp then I would have no problems letting them check. The holes seal quickly anyway.

Ok, thank you 👍🏼

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Again I support buying from a dealer - you might be able to get a starter pack with it to include waste and fresh water containers that themselves are towards £100! Depending the age and supplier you should expect a warranty but some may only offer 3 months to a year - something to ask when viewing. Pay at least deposit with a credit card for extra protection in case of problems . Try to view and shop locally as unlike cars the warranty will be with the supplying dealer and could entail long distances in event of needing anything fixed. You can find a local engineer on the AWS website if you want an inspection and for servicing in the future. Since lockdown there has been a shortage of vans pushing used prices up and stock levels low but like used car prices this is beginning to ease. Good luck and enjoy your trawling!

Mar 5, 2023
Visit site
Again I support buying from a dealer - you might be able to get a starter pack with it to include waste and fresh water containers that themselves are towards £100! Depending the age and supplier you should expect a warranty but some may only offer 3 months to a year - something to ask when viewing. Pay at least deposit with a credit card for extra protection in case of problems . Try to view and shop locally as unlike cars the warranty will be with the supplying dealer and could entail long distances in event of needing anything fixed. You can find a local engineer on the AWS website if you want an inspection and for servicing in the future. Since lockdown there has been a shortage of vans pushing used prices up and stock levels low but like used car prices this is beginning to ease. Good luck and enjoy your trawling!

Oooh yes that’s very true, thanks for that 👍🏼 Looking forward to the new caravan life 🙌🏼

Ollie 😄

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Everyone will have their favourite “flavour” of make and model. Personally I always go for Swift Group as their construction method (in my personal opinion) is the most robust/damp resistant of them all and after seven different models over the years I’m quite happy with them! The Sprite models are the budget end of the line up, but their spec isn’t far removed from the Challenger range above them.

As others have said, buying from a reputable dealer should give some confidence should anything go wrong.

Mar 5, 2023
Visit site
Everyone will have their favourite “flavour” of make and model. Personally I always go for Swift Group as their construction method (in my personal opinion) is the most robust/damp resistant of them all and after seven different models over the years I’m quite happy with them! The Sprite models are the budget end of the line up, but their spec isn’t far removed from the Challenger range above them.

As others have said, buying from a reputable dealer should give some confidence should anything go wrong.

Ohhh ok cool, I’ll certainly take a look at them too then 👍🏼

Thanks,
Ollie

Reactions: Challenger
Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
We had a 2014 Valencia and only changed because we could not get on with the French bed and wardrobe access. However I like the Alutech construction, as damp cannot get into the panel.

Also there's no structural moulded ABS panels front or rear. On most other brands these are used and have a history of cracking, see numerous threads here on the subject.

Areas to check on the bailey are locker doors can leak, the floor is prone to rot, particular at the corners and by the wheel arches, we also had a split arch liner and the bed frame was coming apart where the lifting mechanism was mounted on wood.

Having your own damp meter will enable you to weed out any obvious damp, don't rely on the selling dealer, readings up to 20 are OK, anything over is cause for concern.

We plan to go back to a Bailey but will likely go for the Vigo.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Its over twenty years since I regularly worked on mainly UK built caravans, and since then all the major brands have made some major changes to the way their caravans are built. I would love to be able to say some of the problems of old have been eradicated, but sadly the reports we see on this forum suggest that whilst details of problems may be different now, the underlying causes are still present.

You will find that some caravan owners can honestly report they have had no problems with their caravans, which is important becasue it proves the the manufacturer can build a fully working caravan, But the problem is they simply can't do it consistently.

What this means is, whilst there are some brands which seem to have certain repeat failure modes, none of the manufacturers can hold their heads up with pride as its more like pot luck as to whether the caravan you buy has been put together correctly.

Unfortunately, even doing your homework and looking at failure rates isn't going to guarantee any caravan you choose will be fault free.

In some respects going for a young secondhand model may well be a good idea, as hopefully most of the major issues should have been put right by the first owner, But it also begs the question, why are they selling it? That's why having an independent inspection carried out can be so important.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I would have a look at a Swift group we use to own a Abbey caravan we brought it in a private sale it was a one owner from new the service history and damp check was done every year from new and the bodywork was stunning also we had check done with CRiS just to make sure it not stolen and any outstanding finance or written off by a insurance IF you go the dealer way you might get a starter pack thrown into it , but make sure you take a damp meter check the paperwork see if it got service history, stamps for each annual service also the body work including the roof inside and out . At the end of the day it your choice what you decide and good luck

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Of the three mentioned I would avoid the Lunar and I am talking from experience. The Coachman is normally probably the best of the other two. As mention it would probably be in your best interest to buy your first caravan from a dealer as you are then protected by consumer legislation.

Using a credit card to pay the initial deposit also gives you a additional protection should something go wrong. Even more so if you buy on Hire Purchase as it is then the responsibility of the finance company to resolve any issues.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Adria tend to do well in the annual surveys of both new and pre owned caravans. They tended to be made in a similar manner to German caravans, but compared to the British equivalent are heavier. Most of their models including current ones do not have a large flimsy ABS rear panel. The source of angst to so many British caravan owners; me included 😂

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Several comments have included the suggestion of getting your own damp meter. and some have also suggested using it to check your prospective purchase.

Most moisture meters use two sharp points that you need to press into the the material you want to check. That will leave marks in the surface, Professionals know how to do this with minimal visual impact.There are some non invasive meters which tend to be more expensive and are probably more likely to be used by professionals.

If you do get a meter, you need to understand what the readings show, and how certain caravan constructions can skew readings.

Under no circumstances should you use a meter without the owners permission as you are technically damaging the goods.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I would go along with the advice given. As a first time buyer and with no experience of the subject I would stick with a reputable dealer, as was said it will cost a bit more but you are far less likely to be sold a problem model and will get some guarantee and good legal rights if things go wrong. With a private sale there can be problems and there are a few people out there selling seriously wrong caravans to unsuspecting people. If you buy privately make sure you have a caravan engineer look it over as he should know what to look for.
Of the three models you are looking at a lot may depend on your tow car and its kerb weight and towing capacity.
Lunar have gone out of business but all caravans use the same parts and it is only the body parts that are different. Frankly with any caravan over 5 years old getting new parts if you need them is difficult. A firm called Caravan Panels in Preston do make parts for hem. The caravans tend to be lighter than other makes which helps when towing. Provided you have a clear damp test I would not rule it out. We have had two and although the first one did have damp, this showed up quickly, and was sorted by the dealer. All of the makes do sometimes have damp problems in some models so a clear damp check is the best bet.
Bailey is a fairly middle of the road make and a decent model that has been well looked after should be a good buy. Do make sure the damp check covers the floor though as some models have had problems there.
Coachman are probably the best made of the three, but tend to be heavier, which might rule it out if the car is not up to it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts