Manual or Automatic ?

Aug 22, 2024
Visit site
I am very much a newbie and thought I knew better when deciding that my Hyundai Kona would be enough to tow our Bailey Discovery (1100kgs )
I’m looking at changing to a Hyundai Tucson or Kia Sportage.
My query is Manual or Automatic.🧐
Some advice is only go for manual to tow …….others say it doesn’t matter…but this was advice from non caravan owners !
Any advice from caravanners would be gratefully received….

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The last ten years have been towing with automatics.
The modern auto boxes with numerous gears or CVT are very high tech and intelligent.
No more manuals for me

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Had automatics starting in 1986 with a Volvo 245GLE estate , with the occasional manual. Even now when I don’t tow any longer the main car is auto. Towing with an auto made life so much more relaxed.

Aug 22, 2024
Visit site
I suspect if you did a full pole of caravanners, automatic would win out, But many will say torque converter with fluid fly wheels are better than dual clutch auto's, especially for slow speed manoeuvring and reversing.

But also Diesel for effortless torque
It’s the slow reversing on a slight incline with deep gravel that seems to be the issue. Automatic seems to be the way to go.

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
It’s the slow reversing on a slight incline with deep gravel that seems to be the issue. Automatic seems to be the way to go.
Traditonal torque convertor auto is way to go in this case but only for short period, otherwise you will overheat it. Let it idle in neutral for few minutes afterwards to allow fluid to cool while circulating. NB this is perfect scenerio for cooking DSG.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’ve had three three types of auto on petrol and diesels. Torque converter and CVT allowed smooth very slow speed manoeuvres. Double Clutch transmissions are not as smooth at very slow speeds towing or solo, but still drive nicely when underway.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have always used auto for the last few years towing, Vectras, and Santa Fe's, proper torque converter boxes.

I was going to buy a a manual Santa Fe as the tow limit was higher, 2500 kg against auto at 2000 kg. But reversing my van into storage the weekend , before deciding, I thought " brake, clutch, and accelerator" No, go for the Auto.
10 years and 96k miles
It was not the wrong decision

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2024
Visit site
Wrong, i have a Sportage 2.0 diesel in manual, 68 plate, and would not touch an auto model.
Sorry borderbilly, the reason most people say that an auto makes a better tow car is not just opinion, it is a fact, pure and simple, but if you prefer a manual, that’s great. But auto is so far superior for towing, and driving in general. Sorry! 👍

Also, Kia or Hyundai no longer do a Diesel……..Sadly. 🤷

Last edited:
Reactions: Buckman
Feb 13, 2024
Visit site
Auto is the way forward. Why would you want to have to waggle a stick around to control the engine speed. So archaic.
Maybe i like to waggle a stick around as you say, then again being a x HGV driver with 16 gears at my fingertips, it takes a bit of skill to know and select a gear, but with our lazy generation i suppose that is like too much hard work for them, must keep their little fingertips for their mobile phones.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Modern multi-gear automatics are often more economical than a manual version. Had automatics for daily drivers for ten years now and been more than happy with them. Last two Volvo’s have had an 8 speed torque converter automatic that works well but I also had an automatic 2016 BMW 520D automatic and that was even better!

Aug 18, 2024
Visit site
Maybe i like to waggle a stick around as you say, then again being a x HGV driver with 16 gears at my fingertips, it takes a bit of skill to know and select a gear, but with our lazy generation i suppose that is like too much hard work for them, must keep their little fingertips for their mobile phones.
My first car was a 1958 Austin A30, it didn’t even have window winders! I used fired shotgun cartridges as wedges to keep the windows up.

Now I have one touch electric windows……..Oh how I miss the old cars! 🤪. I drove for 35 years before I went Auto…….Why! The modern auto is just far superior, especially linked to ACC. 😍

Reactions: PTA
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Many/most advocating auto on this thread are well past the “lazy generation” , me included, but I give advice as based on my experiences but would not think to criticise your preference fir a manual gearbox.

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
Gearbox choice depends on engines. Modern turbo petrol and diesel that produce lot of bottom end torque are great matches for auto. When towing manual gearboxes are better match for non turbo petrol which produce max torque at 4000rpm especially the small CC engines.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Seems to me that most of the advice to go for Auto is just based upon personal preferences and no one has given any real substance as to why an Auto would tow better than a manual. That is apart from not 'waggling a stick' what's in it for the driver and passengers

Someone even went to the lengths of writing that it was a fact without given any evidence as to why they believe this to be so.

Plenty of discussion about various types of auto gearboxes, clutches, torque but again what does this really mean for the driver.

I've driven and towed with both petrol and diesel, auto and manual and all have got me from A to B and the only noticeble difference in my experience was that my manual diesel had better fuel efficiency than the others.

I really like Autos and if I could I would have another one but there were other factors more important to me ahead of the Auto/Manual choice - and considering that I spend more than say 95% of the time not towing, the towing consideration was down the list of other factors on my list.

Reactions: borderbilly
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
My first auto was way back in 1975 and it was a VW Fastback. Then manuals until 2004 and back to autos and never looked back. You can drive an auto exactly the same way as a manual.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts