Manual or Automatic ?

Page 8 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
TC ? Please inform.

John
Do pay attention at the back, that was explained many posts ago.....

Torque Converter automatic. Which, to my view is a "proper" automatic with an epicyclic gearbox, as opposed to DSG (or similar gearboxes) which are basically a glorified robotised manual that has the same sort of gearing in it. With a DSG type gearbox you get positive (quick) and noticeable gear changes (unless very gentle on the throttle) whereas with a torque converter the gear changes tend to be "slurred". Hence an early term for them was a "slush box"
The construction, and operation, of both types is wildly different.
If you have a snoop on YouTube I am sure there are schematics explaining both. That will be far easier to understand than any written explanation!!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I think #131 and #134 shows JCs understanding of torque converter gearboxes and until about 15 months ago he towed with a V70 TC auto box. Perhaps his querying your post was a senior moment😂

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
I’ve just switched from a torque converter box (Aisin 8 speed in a Volvo) to a 7 speed DSG in an Audi and didn’t notice any difference when reversing the caravan onto it’s pitch yesterday. I have to reverse it down our cul-de-sac when we return home on Thursday so I’ll pay more attention and see if it really does feel any different.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I’ve just switched from a torque converter box (Aisin 8 speed in a Volvo) to a 7 speed DSG in an Audi and didn’t notice any difference when reversing the caravan onto it’s pitch yesterday. I have to reverse it down our cul-de-sac when we return home on Thursday so I’ll pay more attention and see if it really does feel any different.
Interestingly, all variants of the 2018-on Audi A6 range, including S6 and RS6, can come with either a 7-speed "S-Tronic" DCT or 8-speed "Tiptronic" torque converter automatic - I don't know what determines which is fitted.

Reactions: GaryB
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Interestingly, all variants of the 2018-on Audi A6 range, including S6 and RS6, can come with either a 7-speed "S-Tronic" DCT or 8-speed "Tiptronic" torque converter automatic - I don't know what determines which is fitted.
Interesting, mines definitely the 7 speed (I counted them 😂 ), not sure which ones got the 8 speed though

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Do pay attention at the back, that was explained many posts ago.....

Torque Converter automatic. Which, to my view is a "proper" automatic with an epicyclic gearbox, as opposed to DSG (or similar gearboxes) which are basically a glorified robotised manual that has the same sort of gearing in it. With a DSG type gearbox you get positive (quick) and noticeable gear changes (unless very gentle on the throttle) whereas with a torque converter the gear changes tend to be "slurred". Hence an early term for them was a "slush box"
The construction, and operation, of both types is wildly different.
If you have a snoop on YouTube I am sure there are schematics explaining both. That will be far easier to understand than any written explanation!!
It was just the TC I enquired about.

I am well aware of the differences from a layman’s point of view. But cannot agree with you re the differences. DSG have caught up and are now similar in ability.

Early DSG’s were certainly poor. Both types have developed. TC box’s are no longer the fuel guzzlers that they were. I have driven both, DSG’s with silky smooth changes, and a TC in which it felt like I was being rear ended when it changed down.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Our vehicle has 8 forward speed and one reverse. Not sure, but a TC may not require software to operate, but with a DSG software is essential. It was the software that made our Mondeo with the Powershift uncomfortable to drive and it was a major complaint on earlier Mondeos.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Our vehicle has 8 forward speed and one reverse. Not sure, but a TC may not require software to operate, but with a DSG software is essential. It was the software that made our Mondeo with the Powershift uncomfortable to drive and it was a major complaint on earlier Mondeos.
Modern TC gearboxes do have software in their overall control features.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Modern TC gearboxes do have software in their overall control features.
Probably to control the manual selection as slush box without software has been around for over 100 years, but perhaps the software is not as extensive as in a DSG box? I think the first TC were used in a boats in about 1905 and then in vehicles in the 1930s.

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
Probably to control the manual selection as slush box without software has been around for over 100 years, but perhaps the software is not as extensive as in a DSG box? I think the first TC were used in a boats in about 1905 and then in vehicles in the 1930s.
My previous XC40 had a "slush box" which could be quite jerky, particularly when slowly approaching a roundabout ready to accelerate into a gap. This resulted in a big jolt as the box thought "oh, no I'm in second, he's put his foot down, better change down to first". Software updates gradually improved this, but never eliminated it. Also modern slush boxes "lock up" with clutches to limit the inherent "slip" they have.

The Sportage has a Hyundai Transys box, which replaces either DC's or TC with the electric traction motor, which engages and disengages to take up drive or change gear. There's also no reverse, the electric motor does that job!
This can also get "caught out" as above, but is certainly as good if not better than the Aisin Warner box in the Volvo. As an aside, the economy is excellent - yesterday did a run of 59.9 miles at 57.4 mpg.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts