Marker Light Went AWOL

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
During a trip to Dorset this week my rear nearside high marker light must have been brushed by a tree/hedge and the cover went AWOL. As I was at Moreton with no EE coverage at all I got my wife to ring two local ( Wilts) Swift Dealers to see if they could provide a replacement. The first one which holds the Practical Caravan 2017 Pre-Owned Caravan Award was very off hand and said a replacement part would take at least 8-10 weeks. The second one who is a Swift and Coachman dealer offered to have a look around, and came back to my wife saying" We get regular supplies of markers as they are always going missing. Your husband can collect one on Sunday" The latter dealer I had previously dealt with over an Alko wheel lock part and got excellent service.

Guess which dealer will get my annual servicing?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We used to get a problem with marker lights on our Eldiss some time ago and found most dealers had them. On many models they can be easily knocked off and most dealers should stock them. Those that do not are losing out.

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
I am not defending any dealership in any way, but would just like to point out that the dealership that holds a PCV award was voted for by customers (and nothing whatsoever to do with PCV or the C&CC), so they must do something right. Let's see how they do in this year's OSS.

There is no excuse for bad manners in whatever walk of life.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Nigel

I think the dealership in question holds the award for pre owned caravan sales, having had previous dealings with them , the sale of a pre owned caravan and profit involved is considerably more than a replacement marker light which I suggest might affect their judgement..Since our poor experience we have bought 4 new caravans, and have not once considered them as a supplier.I note Clive has stated his intention to vote with his feet, a decision I fully support

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Collected the replacement marker light this morning. It was there behind the counter all ready and waiting with my name written onto the label. It's now firmly in place on the caravan a waitng its next brush with foliage.
Excellent service from this dealership out in the sticks. Didn't see any Great Bustards though. Next time maybe when the van goes in for it's service.

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
woodsieboy said:
Hi Nigel

I think the dealership in question holds the award for pre owned caravan sales, having had previous dealings with them , the sale of a pre owned caravan and profit involved is considerably more than a replacement marker light which I suggest might affect their judgement..Since our poor experience we have bought 4 new caravans, and have not once considered them as a supplier.I note Clive has stated his intention to vote with his feet, a decision I fully support

Hi Woodsieboy,

I don't blame you one little bit. I have done exactly the same in the past having received poor service from one dealership (not surprisingly no longer in existence). We bought a new caravan in 1989, and got an excellent deal. However, the aftersales was appalling to the point of almost taking legal action (fortunately the manufacturer stepped in and sorted things at the factory). Our second new caravan was bought from a dealership that I have since had another six new caravans from. I vividly remember the owner saying to me "any idiot can sell a caravan, they usually sell themselves. However, the art is in getting you to come back and buy another, and another...." How true.

Nigel.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts