marker lights

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
What is the best way to seal around marker lights as none seem to come, with gaskets , I was thinking of making a seal out if mastic tape , any more ideas ?

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Not yet had this problem but I'd be inclined to use either clear or white silicon sealant builders use,,it delelopes a skin within a day or so but stays flexable underneath

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
The mastic tape is good stuff, but its difficult to get it in narrow widths, as its used more for bedding down hatches, or aluminium awning rails and the like....

Like pensioners says, I'd be inclined to use a silicone to bed it on, it will stop the dirt and water getting in and you can make a nice looking job using not much more than some kitchen paper and a damp finger, to clean away any excess and leave a good finish..... Oops.....Health and Safety :whistle: has just whispered in my ear that damp figers are no konger approved devices for use on sealers of this nature and a spatula is now generally recommended :cheer:

I have tried to cut mastic into narrow strips ( about 4mm wide), but its not easy and the silicone seems to last quite well and is easy to apply.
Regards
paws

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
While you are at it suggest you check the 'earth return' ie'e the connection from the light that may be to a tag with a screw through it to the caravan shell. If you have two wires from the lamp unit vanishing into the body - good, and hopefully no further problems. But many vans used the shall as the return or negative line and the connections tended to corrode. Clean off and make sure there is a good tight contact.

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
The only trouble with silicon is if you want to remove the light the silicon sticks too well imo
http://www.caravan-components.co.uk/epages/BT2955.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT2955/Products/SBM015
is the same as the strip but easier especilly if you warm it first and cleans up nicely with a little thinners used it round my rooflight without a problem

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
At the risk of highjacking someone elses thread,,,
thankyou DeliDave for that website, it's very good and I've added it to my favorites list

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Obvious question - why not use the old gaskets.
If you are fitting different lights and you think gaskets are required - make you own out of insertion rubber sheet.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts