Maximum lenghths of trailers

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Although we read a lot about what weights we can or can't tow I've seen very little if any mention about maximum sizes of caravans that vehicles under 3.5 tonnes can tow.
Width and length

The maximum trailer width for any towing vehicle is 2.55 metres.

The maximum length for a trailer towed by a vehicle weighing up to 3,500kg is 7 metres. This length does not include the A-frame.

The above is taken from the UK Gov web site. Beware all those towing the larger continental caravans.

Dave

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
davenbeata said:
Although we read a lot about what weights we can or can't tow I've seen very little if any mention about maximum sizes of caravans that vehicles under 3.5 tonnes can tow.
Width and length

The maximum trailer width for any towing vehicle is 2.55 metres.

The maximum length for a trailer towed by a vehicle weighing up to 3,500kg is 7 metres. This length does not include the A-frame.

The above is taken from the UK Gov web site. Beware all those towing the larger continental caravans.

Dave

Hello Dave,
This very topic has been discussed previously, but there is no harm in asking again. The information you have copied from the Gov site is I believe now correct, but the site has not always been accurate, and infact this very page originally claimed the 7M length included the A frame!

It highlights a problem that we have encountered on a number of different towing details. The Gov web site is not the legal document behind the law. The actual documents are not easy to read, because of the way government construct them in legalise language. The Gov portal has been created by mandarins who do not really understand the importance of certain words and phrases in technical documents, and as a result the portal can in fact give the wrong information, and some caravanners were in danger of actually towing illegally.

IF you have any towing weight or size queries then by all means ask, but please note my sign off panel.

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
The CC website gives it as 7 metres not including the A-frame. I must confess that when I first read the Gov webpage and it said 7m I was a bit concerned as mine is well over that but only because of the A-frame. There is some good stuff about the legal aspects of towing available from the clubs and I would like to think that as they are publishing it on their official webpages that unlike the Gov site they have checked the facts before making it public.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As far as I am aware, Saint Spoon is correct.

But it raises an issue on how the 7M is defined, because where does a caravan body start?, is it the first fixing on the chassis, or is it the front edge of the front locker, is it the window line etc etc etc

I suspect different manufacturers could adopt different definitions.

In my way of thinking it would make more sense to make it hitch to tail and increase the length limit to 8M.

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
It would make sense to do that but on the other hand if a caravan is made for the UK market then I think that you can safely assume that the manufacturer has taken the law into consideration as well as moving the door to the near side for our roads. I would think that if the laws said 8m from nose to tail then it wouldn’t take long for manufacturers to start kicking out trailers with bodies at 8m minus the length of the hitch with no A-frame and I believe that the longer A-frame can add to stability when driving.

May 21, 2016
Visit site
the measurement would be its total length IE the most forward point to the most rear point of the trailer. likewise the trailer width is at its widest point.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I am with the Prof in that a maximum length including the tow bar would be better but would cause further problems as these vary. Adria who use a very long one would be at a disadvantage against the UK manufacturers so whatever you do it will still be problematical.

May 21, 2016
Visit site
we would all like changes to various bits of legislation, also with regard to trailer lengths if it were to include 'A' frame within the 7M lenght then there would be very many vans that would be removed from the road.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Buffers said:
we would all like changes to various bits of legislation, also with regard to trailer lengths if it were to include 'A' frame within the 7M lenght then there would be very many vans that would be removed from the road.

What I have suggested was an overall length including a frame (AKA Shipping length) Earlier I did suggest 8M but that was ill considered as many A frames can add up to1.5M so if the limit were 8.5M, then that would not exclude any current caravans.

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Raywood said:
I am with the Prof in that a maximum length including the tow bar would be better but would cause further problems as these vary. Adria who use a very long one would be at a disadvantage against the UK manufacturers so whatever you do it will still be problematical.

Oh yes, My Adria has a long beak at the front. But as I said before, any manufacturer that is making caravans and trailers for the UK market will have to ensure that they product that they are selling meets the requirements of the law with regards to safety, dimensions and so on; if they don't then I doubt that they would stay in business very long.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
How long does the A frame need to be? I could image that some makers would be pleased to increase body length within the existing overall maximum, as many space compromises are currently caused by the restriction on body length.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
chrisn7 said:
How long does the A frame need to be? I could image that some makers would be pleased to increase body length within the existing overall maximum, as many space compromises are currently caused by the restriction on body length.

The a frame length is always going to be a compromise between producing nose load, providing for turning without the bodies of car and caravan colliding, and keeping within the overall size limits.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts