Maxview dish size

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
i hav ebeen offered a Maxview Precision Tripod, without a dish, there are 3 sizes of dish available, 55,65,and 75 Not sure which to buy, need UK and as far as Vendee reception, also Maxview list different arms for different size dish so need to decide on dish size before ordering the arm, the LNB is the same for all according to Maxview website, so any ideas on best size dish please?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
A 55 or 65cm will work down as far as La Rochelle no problem but best to get is the 65cm. IMHO a 75cm may be just that too big to cart around.

Jan 17, 2010
Visit site
Which part of the country are you in woodsieboy? I have one in my garage i dont use in a bag aswell but not sure of the size i would have to measure it.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Just remember that the bigger the dish the narrower the beamwidth so the more accurate you need to be when aligning it. In terms of gain there is such a small difference between 65 and 75 that the 65 is the better bet - plus it will be easier to align.
For the record a 65cm ovoid dish with LNB will cost you less than about €30 in a French DIY shed. For example Leroy Merlin If you go to BricoMan (which is owned by the same company as B&Q) you will get a similar dish and LNB but with 10m of cable and plugs for about the same price.
If you have an Android smartphone download the free Satellite Director app which will make life much easier at alignment time. Set it to Astra 28.
Oh, and take four wing nuts of each size, 4mm, 5mm and 6mm to use on the U-bolts that fasten the dish to the tripod - much easier than nuts but the French don't seem to have heard of them!

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
IMO, it is a pain to carry and store a bigger dish than needed.

Our 65 CM Triax works fine in all normal atmospheric conditions down to the Dordogne.

Plus the bigger the dish the more prone it will be to wind gusts, moving it.

Therefore my considered opinion is here that going "oversize" becomes just that more "hassle". which along with unnecessary clobber, being a pet hate. I don't see “size” simply for size sake as something impressive.

I have been looking on that auction site for a quality 36 CM dish to carry here in the UK, as going to France again is fast becoming more a dream that a reality for us.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Just to add we had a Satfi RV dome and it was the equivalent of a 65cm dish. We could get Sky as far as down as Valencia in Spain.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Just to add we had a Satfi RV dome and it was the equivalent of a 65cm dish. We could get Sky as far as down as Valencia in Spain.

Was that prior to or after 2019, when Sky migrated the serices it used on Eurostat, to using exclusively the Astra 28.2 cluster?

If it was pre 2019, then the chances are it might not work today on the narrowed beams.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Was that prior to or after 2019, when Sky migrated the serices it used on Eurostat, to using exclusively the Astra 28.2 cluster?

If it was pre 2019, then the chances are it might not work today on the narrowed beams.
It was 2018 and I thought that Sky had already migrated their services to the Astra cluster as we had to do a major update?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Woodentop
We have been using a Cahors fibreglass dish bought in France many years ago came with wing nuts and fixed aluminium arm for LNB but broke the LNB when I dropped the dish ,fancy the Maxview because of elevation and ease of use, remains to be seen of course.

Also thank you to Cheshire cat I am sorted now but if you are not using yours you will have no problem selling it,have a look on a well known auction site, you might be surprised at the prices they sell for.

Reactions: CHESHIRECAT

TRENDING THREADS