May PC Magazine!

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Cris

I was not slag the magazine off I was just say I thick it cud be better then it is and I am a custom so I have a right to say what I thick like the time your photo was taken off the forum.

Mark

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Just for comparison, I flicked through the latest issue of 'CARAVANING' magazine. OK, it's thinner than PC - only 84 pages but apart from a 16 page section of small ads, there's not one double page of ads in the whole magazine.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Mark.

We all have a right to comment of course. The magazine funds this site which we all use, and most of us read the Mag. If we feel it is not giving articles we want or that would attract bigger readership what good is comment like "Alex.Get out while you are ahead , or is your head so far up your rear end that you cant see this mag is CRAP .... Ben"

We have to understand that they atre running a business, Lutz mentions "Caravan Magazine" who runs it and on what business basis ? Its profit, if there is one may be minimal and costs supported by other publications whilst it tries to gain more market share.

The ads in PC reflect on its success and market share re reader numbers. People don't place ads in mags that has a small readership.

Even my Towsure Catalogue has ads and bikini clad woman, I guess many here though it away or ripped out the offending page ;-0

They are not seeling it to me for a profit and I bet every thing we buy from towsure has a mark up towards that catalogue and the ads in PC magazine and others.

I like others would like to see more practical info and tips in the mag, I know the right end of a spanner to use and how to use other tools and fit and fix things myself, mention DIY on here and some go up in arms.

Magazine editor and journo's have to balance what the caravanning public want, telling them their work is Cr 1 p is

having what help and helping who exactly ?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Of course adverts are important, but so too is good journalism. The majority of people posting seem to be doing exactly the same as me - scanning the mag in the Newsagents and usually putting it back.

Most of the articles look like Sales Brochures for new caravans.

And the travel articles and site reviews are distinctly second rate to Magazines like "Out & About" that cover many leisure activities including Caravanning.

This is not the first time the host magazine for this Forum has had some negative feedback. The infamous "Sink Drainer" Article caused a lot of people to kick off several months ago.

If Alex is now putting more Practical articles in the magazine then that is a good thing. At least we will not be able complain under the Trades Description Act!

As for the leaflets - whatever people do with them - DO NOT take out any form of Insurance via such a leaflet.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Mark.

We all have a right to comment of course. The magazine funds this site which we all use, and most of us read the Mag. If we feel it is not giving articles we want or that would attract bigger readership what good is comment like "Alex.Get out while you are ahead , or is your head so far up your rear end that you cant see this mag is CRAP .... Ben"

We have to understand that they atre running a business, Lutz mentions "Caravan Magazine" who runs it and on what business basis ? Its profit, if there is one may be minimal and costs supported by other publications whilst it tries to gain more market share.

The ads in PC reflect on its success and market share re reader numbers. People don't place ads in mags that has a small readership.

Even my Towsure Catalogue has ads and bikini clad woman, I guess many here though it away or ripped out the offending page ;-0

They are not seeling it to me for a profit and I bet every thing we buy from towsure has a mark up towards that catalogue and the ads in PC magazine and others.

I like others would like to see more practical info and tips in the mag, I know the right end of a spanner to use and how to use other tools and fit and fix things myself, mention DIY on here and some go up in arms.

Magazine editor and journo's have to balance what the caravanning public want, telling them their work is Cr 1 p is

having what help and helping who exactly ?
CARAVANING magazine is a German magazine but I don't think that is to the point. What's good or bad for business will apply in any country. What is more to the point and perhaps worth comparing is how much readable matter you get for your money. The latest issue of 84 pages is typical with 11 feature articles, most of which cover about 3 to 4 full pages, excluding the ads in between, and the whole magazine costs the equivalent of ₤2. It belongs to a publishing group rather like PC so the form of business is comparable.

Perhaps the following list of contents of the feature articles in the May issue in the may of interest:

1. General news, featuring the Dutch manufacturer Sterckeman's planned entry into the German market.

2. Article on proposed changes to legislation in Germany to raise the towing speed limit.

3. Latest news about various dealers, caravan shows, traffic information affecting caravanners in particular, etc.

4. Test of B

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Lutz makes good comment above, but I would just point out that I have 2 English associates one in Holland another in Belgium with Business premises. The guy in Holland pays

Apr 27, 2005
Visit site
I agree with most of the comments on this thread. I have just given up my subsciption as I have found more and more adverts over recent months.

In the "Our Fleet" section this month Matt Clark did a great advertising job for tyres. Alex Newby extolling the virtues of the new Volvo XC70 and then was repeated on p144 with a Tow Test.

Yes I know i'm sad but 96 pages of adverts this month and that doesn't include the Regional Spotlight and Caravans for Sale.

It used to be a great mag but like others will only buy one when it has an article in that I have an interest

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
I for one would like to see a more in depth re3view of new caravans, not just a whirl around the block and maybe a quick sleep over fortified by gallons of wine. Many caravans have great layouts, but perhaps using the shower area is impractical because it is too small, or maybe the mattress on the fixed bed is too firm and uncomfortable. The list goes on.

Perhaps when reviewing a caravan they should take one that is brand new and another one of the same model that has been used several times and then do a review with two independent parties. The one that has been used several times will probably show up faults that are not obvious on a brand new caravan. Perhaps interviews with owners woudl help or are PC too scared that they may tread on toes. How about some dealer reviews per region, i.e. surveys without the dealer knowing who they are etc.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi cris

If you get a chance pick up a copy of Out & About magazine.

This month they cover, Congestion in the Peak District, A Spring Sites Guide, Touring in Scotland - The Formby Coast - KentSurreyEast&WestSussex, Derbyshire.

Also: Hiring a Motorhome in New Zealand, Walking in the Pennines and Bill Oddies regular Nature article.

As well as: A very good Lifestyle regular feature - which this month is food from the South of France plus why fruit is good for us!

A good "What's on" Section and a "Puzzles" section that I never have time to do unless I am away in the caravan for the w/e.

In summary - the content is a damn good read that lasts.

Like others, in comparison last time I bought PC, I had finished with it after less than an hour.

Oh! and six monthly issues of Out & About can be had for just

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
In my strange little world I mix with a wide mix and quite a few media and press types and even H+++++++t people a few times.

At least with reference to Out and About you might give Alex a few ideas of what will bring you back on board ;-)

I have a German friend who works here yet lives in Germany, he has been amazed for years by the way business differs here to Germany in some fields but he can afford to work here and live in Germany in his line of country but never the other way around.

Lutz comment again is good but another old friend works afor a quite well known media guy who goes looking to buy continental press outfits.

Driven by Profit opportunities, as the press here opperates in a different way to some other countries :)

How the powers that be who own PC mag work is a mystery to me, and we are never likely to get the full picture. I guess that the ad content is driven by profit, PC has been around for a long while and personally I don't like to see these things fold.

So I would rather see some positive ideas coming forward and hope that the ads and content can reach balance and compromise that is attractive to all of us.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Agreed - I expected Practical Caravan to be similar in content to Practical Classic Car etc.

When Alex replied to my suggestions re more practical input with the comment that in her view she thought the article on "Sink Drainers" (Three pages comparison!!) was a good practical article - I just could not believe it!

When you look at the technical issues that come up on the Forum there is an ABSOLUTE WEALTH of opportunity to run some good solid article of the "How to" variety!

I hope what Alex may have started (I have not seen the May issue) continues re the workshop article.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
PC certainly have lost the plot. Practical Caravan FULL of adverts. It has also increased in price this month. What does that tell you. I'm off to look at 'Out & About'. Might not even bother with the next PC Mag, just cancel the order instead.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Alex,like CliveV,I would like to see PC more like Practical Classics. I'm currently reading the spring issue which,like PC, contains too many adverts, but the contents are about what it says on the cover - practical classics. I know I'm comparing apples and oranges again, but "Classics" I read cover to cover.PC I pick out interesting articles, and sadly, there ain't many of them!

Mar 22, 2006
Visit site
OK my 2 penneth.

I am a ver new convert to caravaning, having bought our first van in October last year. I am still in the honeymoon period and as such cannot get enough of any of the caravan magazines out there. To be honest I have found the mag extremly useful (including the adverts!). However it is true to say that although we bought a second hand van (1999 luner lexon) we poured over every brand new caravan review because as new vanners we needed to know the pros and cons of the different layouts etc. As someone has previously said once we bought the van I have looked at fewer new van reviews (although it is still interesting). That dosent mean that I think that PC should stop the reviews, I remember how useful they were for me.

I do agree that more practical topics would be useful. There are many subjects I could mention that as a newcommer I would benefit from knowing. These range from legal issues (dose anybody realy know the law regarding towing if you passed your test since '97?) through to very practical subjects, what to do if your water heater heater dosent work after being in storage after a few weeks, how to go about choosing the best insurence options, breakdown cover (who covers the car and van in a single policy), how do you choose a good storage site - what are the pros and cons of storing at home or in storage - the list is endless (let me know if you want more).

I think it should be remembered that PC is very likely to be bought by people looking for their first van and living with it for the first year, an article that follows somebody that process would be facinating to me (if only to feel smug about some of the things I have worked out on my own).

If any of you read any of the other "PC" magazines (IE computer) you will be aware that the cheaper magazines on the market also have high levels of advertising. Those that have fewer ads are considerably more expensive (some costing a little under

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Slight variation here. Like to look at new vans but have never found room in the budget for all the other toys and a new van.

To me there is to much NEW NEW NEW, be it van or car in most of the mags.

How to keep the thing fit and healthy without big bills at the dealer would attract me and others I guess.

I come across lots of materials and processes that couild be used in van buildung I believe, and posts here suggest that van builders need to get there acts together!

It is an easy option to give a long guarantee when you tie it up with conditions that you have a pricy service each year.

Adhesives and sealants I and others used nearly twenty years ago are still water tight and secure and take far more stress than any caravan. There are aerospace materials that could be cheaper and more cost effective than parts used in Caravan builds, they can do millions of miles in the air so why do we still have spongy floors and leaking vans. Because no one really makes enough noise and they want to fleece us.

So come on PC and Alex how about some investagative journalism

amd some under cover Journo's on the production lines.

IT'S A CHALLENGE ALEX

ARE YOU AND THE HAYMARKET CREW UP FOR IT !!! ;-)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
cris you have reminded me of a post I made a few months back!

I took all the rails of our 'van and could not believe the slapdash way the sealant had been applied. Great gobs of it in some places but as thin as a sharpened pencil lead in others.

How the damp never got in I do not know!

The job of taking the windows out, removing the rails and then the awning rails was easy! The pleasure of knowing we had put it back BETTER than when it came out of the factory was enormous!!

However, I then said that having seen how caravans were put together and how sloppy the manufactureres were, it was my intention to keep my caravan for as long as it was possible as I had invested much time and effort and knew it was 100%. I now feel I know it "inside out" and that I would not take the risk of selling it and purchasing another caravan.

I have just "twigged" - people like me are not the readers PC wants.

nor

Dec 21, 2003
Visit site
a lot of the comments i have to agree with. i do look forward to the PC every month. but there are a lot of adverts this month. it might be that a lot of people want to advertise at the start of the season. it is only march, (sorry may)

OK the things i liked and enjoyed in this months magazine.

= a tour along memory lane.

= you and yours.

= letters.

= pembrokeshire.

= money saving tips.

= questions and answers.

i am still looking amongst the adverts for any other worthwhile articles that i may have missed. perhaps the magazine will be cheaper if they are going to have so many adverts .

Jul 14, 2005
Visit site
My agrreance on this is with cris , he's got it spot on !

I personally don't want to read articles on what a bunch of journalist's do at weekend with their free caravans and free towcars. No doubt getting paid for it.

The best thing for the mag is fold it in two , it then fits under the door nicely to hold it open

Tom

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
Maybe its time we designed our own van, what materials could be used where and what layout.

I bet with the caravna knowledge on this site, we could come up with a good sized light weight van that could sustain a 25 yr warrenty for water ingress

A composite floor with a lip that fits in the walls would make a good start.

Hold on a sec, if we did that we would own the market and only ever sell one van to any user!

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
I am starting to think about this with a bit of seriousness (I must be mad)

I did my PhD in materials and mechanical engineering. I still use Autocad and I am trying to get drawings of an Alko chassis to see what I can do.

Funny what stupid ideas you get when you have a lot of time on your hands

Steve

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
Hi All

I rarely by the mag maybe a couple of times a year to 'catch up'. It definitely misses that 'practical' element. I also buy practical classics every month (I have a classic car) and it is an all round well balanced read with informative hands-on articles.

I would have thought there was a ready supply of feature material here on the forum. Why not take a suitable posting in the technical forum and do a monthly 'fix it' article in the mag

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
Hi All

I rarely by the mag maybe a couple of times a year to 'catch up'. It definitely misses that 'practical' element. I also buy practical classics every month (I have a classic car) and it is an all round well balanced read with informative hands-on articles.

I would have thought there was a ready supply of feature material here on the forum. Why not take a suitable posting in the technical forum and do a monthly 'fix it' article in the mag
Nice Idea

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts