May PC Magazine!

Page 5 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 25, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

To all readers of the PCM. I think you will agree that the June issue, which arrived this morning, is totaly the opposite to the May issue.

I say well done to the all for a more practical read which includes "Essential guide to Buying Used" supplement.

We are all quick to complain. Let's hear your coments now folks?

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
i agree with you on this its more full of adverts and static holidays.

does pc want to pay me to going touring roung the country, any jobs going?.

how embarrasing, did you see the forum chat on page 24?.i didnt know that they print somethings we talk about on here. my name was there plain and clear in bold black letters.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lord B you had your name in print under your pen name in the C&CC magazine some while back regarding the English/Welsh border. What more do you want - next thing you will be in DeBretts with all the other landed gentry.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Lord B you had your name in print under your pen name in the C&CC magazine some while back regarding the English/Welsh border. What more do you want - next thing you will be in DeBretts with all the other landed gentry.
You mean I'm NOT already in DeBretts?

Apr 6, 2005
Visit site
Well I felt the same way regarding the May edition but decided to give it one more chance, the June edition arrived today and still full of adverts, 3 pages about screwdrivers it goes on see my posting on June PC, well today i cancelled my subsciption after reading the magazine for many years

It would be interesting to know the figures for cancelled subscriptions, also Alex has our e mail addresses why not contact us direct to discuss what would get us back

Apr 8, 2006
Visit site
I think this whole subject is a little difficult because we do not know the business requirements of producing the mag. However, we are all on the same side here as in, if the mag is successful then everyone wins.

Adverts cannot be dropped, we know that and Cris has already explained why, however people, how many other mags do you know that the editor is DEFIANTLY reading your comments?

Lets gets positive people, help Alex out and we all win

Steve

PS Alex, mail me for the address for the free subscription ;-)
I agree with your basic sentiments. But free subscription? That's optimism! We can't even get twelve issues for a year's paid subscription.

Raymond

Mar 4, 2006
Visit site
The reason that they only print glowing reports is that should they give any bad report about either a caravan, tow car, extras, sites or any other related item they would be sued for deformation and loss of sale. This applies to all magazines not just PC.
I remember years ago when Bill Body (the then Editor of Motor Sport) called the Ford Cortina "The biggest heap of tin to come out of Dagenham!"

Result was that Fords refused for years to supply Motor Sport with any more cars, but at least you knew what you were reading was not writen by Ford.

Perhaps we could believe PC articles if this occurred, price would go up, but worth it if you could believe the mag.

The article on the Alko Secure Wheel clamp glossed over the difficulty in jacking up a twin axle on a muddy field to line up the wheels to fit the lock.

May 27, 2005
Visit site
I'm always concerned to find that readers aren't enjoying the magazine because an enormous amount of thought and effort goes into producing each issue.

With regards to advertising, it's important to bear in mind that the magazine is a business and ads are a major source of revenue which it would be bad business sense to turn away, and I think on the whole all of our advertisements are appropriate for most of our readership. You might also want to consider that if it wasn't for the ads, the magazine would have to be more expensive. Put it alongside its competitors and, even without the ads, I think it's obvious that Practical Caravan offers a lot more quantity and quality of material, so I think a few extra ads shouldn't detract from what is in fact a very good value magazine.

I'm also sorry to hear that anyone would think that Practical Caravan's journalists don't reflect the 'real life' experience of caravanning, because we all caravan frequently for the magazine (each of us goes away 1 week in every four during the summer, and regularly during the weekend) so it's a real pity if our experiences don't come across as being useful to other readers, and that's certainly something for us to address straight away.

As for the lack of DIY/practical content, it's important to bear in mind that even many used caravans have so many mod cons fitted that there isn't the pressure to retro-fit items such as cassette toilets or cookers as there once was. However, we are currently planning to increase practical content of the magazine, including help and advice for everyday ownership of a caravan, so I hope that this concern will be addressed before too long.

Aside from responding to your most prominent complaints about the magazine, I would like to say that I believe Practical Caravan offers far more everyday advice and, importantly, entertainment and actual interest to readers than any of our rivals, and seeks to present its content in the most appealing way possible to inspire and encourage newcomers and old hands alike. Our magazine is by far the more enjoyable read, thanks to our dedication to combining useful and exciting ideas, professional and properly crafted journalism, and great design and photography. And if you want to talk about readers voting with their feet, I'm pleased to report that people have already done exactly that - in favour of Practical Caravan, with a yet another increase in sales saying all there is to say about what caravanners think of PCV.

Please keep the comments coming, none the less - I'm still keen to hear what you want to read about in the magazine.

Alex Newby

PCV Editor
Alex you also need to consider the end user without them you won't need any advertisments will you, and you will need a new job.

Derek

May 23, 2006
Visit site
After receiving this months mag, took one look and got on the phone to canel, nothing of any interest at all
Like many here I would agree there are far too many adverts and not enough articles of a practical nature. I also understand the need to keep costs down and this can be achieved by increased revenue from advertises but at the end of the day the producers of the magazine should listen more to the customers and give them what they want.

Come on Alex - put together a questionnaire for readers to complete and listen to what they say rather than try to justify what you are already doing.

Personally I would like to see a larger Q&A section and lots of practical tips.

Do I really want to read the same articles every month on the buyers guide and which are the best tow cars. Surely this could be done every quarter so so not each month.

Oh yes, I also agree with a previous spokesperson that there is more to caravanning than just swift or bailey.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts