Maybe he was,maybe he wasn't

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
Raywood said:
I have had "we are from Microsoft, your computer is running slowly and we will fix it for you". I just say we have an Apple .... My sister however just regards it as a bit of fun and sees how long she can keep them on line before they rumble they are being duped. I think 25 minutes is her best so far.
I have played right along and allowed them to do what they want. It was entertaining to watch, but I shut them down after about 40 minutes when I got bored (they worked incredibly slowly). However, it was in a copy of Windows running in a Virtual Machine [VM] within Linux (although it also could be run within MacOS or a host Windows ). They can only access the VM (and cannot tell that it is one), which obviously contains no private info. Afterwards I restored a snapshot of the Windows VM as it was before they started.

Since then, hoping for a next time, I have put a "Password" file in the VM with fake bank account numbers etc, so as to waste more of these guys' time afterwards as they attempt to use them. I have also put some, let's say risque, pictures in there to wind them up :evil:

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
Gafferbill said:
My experience is that direct debits can be set up on a bank a/c without the holders authority.......all that is needed is the sort code and a/c number.
This BBC article shows the weakness in the system
A worrying article, and the risk is there even if you never set up a DD yourself. Quoting from it :-

HSBC, said it cannot stop rogue direct debits being set up but it now alerts Richard by letter if a new instruction is received. And it said it is the merchant which should be checking the details
Why would a scammer check the details? I can imagine this being worthwhile to scammers even if the they only get away with one month's payment before the victim notices. Even if I get my money back, I could do without such rubbish. The article, and indeed advice about DDs generally, blurs the difference between an "error" and a "scam"; strictly speaking, a "scam" is not an error, it is deliberate.

I would not be so worried about my electricity supplier taking too much in error, I've no doubt I'd get it back and with apologies. But it is the small, here today and gone tommorrow, merchants and middlemen who are the worry, bearing in mind that some services outsource their bill collection to outfits that I for one have never heard of before, and from their accents on the phone seem to be based in that sub-continent..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts