Maypole MP4375 jockey wheel - technical info

Dec 13, 2017
Visit site
Hi, Does anyone have the Maypole MP4375 jockey wheel fitted and close to hand? It's the one with the pneumatic tyre and the metal rather than plastic wheel.

I have recently fitted one to mine but it does not retract fully into the a-frame as it's a tad too wide at the wheel mounts. Sits a bit low so may well cloud speed humps or give problems in dips. I was going to replace one or both of the axle split-pins with a linch-pin so I could simply and quickly remove and refit the wheel while leaving everything else in place.

However, my caravan is an hour round-trip away and I do not have the measurements of the axle. Nothing useful on maypole's website either. If you are close to this sort of Jockey wheel and a dab-hand with a tape-measure, can you please tell me as much of the following as possible...

1. External diameter of axle
2. Diameter of splitpin hole .appreciate this may be a bit trickier. But is it about the same as a bic insert, twice that size? just a rough idea as I can adjust this a little if required.
3. How much axle sticks out beyond the splitpin hole.

Assuming I get it sorted successfully I'll post up some pictures and a link to the necessary bits and pieces in case anyone else wants to do the same.

Dec 13, 2017
Visit site
If anyone else is looking to do this, I went over and measured up.
Axle diameter - 19.1mm
Split pin hole diameter - 5mm
Distance from split pin hole centre to end of axle - 6.2mm

As a result a 5mm linch-pin should do the job (5mm nominal is actually 4.5mm so bit of wiggle room). I've just ordered these ones from ebay.

I'll post up if it was successful or not once they arrive. Interestingly my new jockey wheel which has covered zero feet ever has one nice smooth bearing and one gritty one so may be worth checking yours too.

Dec 13, 2017
Visit site
My standard solid BPW jockey wheel was juddering all over the place even on a fairly smooth road surface. On a bit of gravel the stress on the jockey pole was bending it so I'll risk a puncture and keep some puncture spray stuff in the front locker.

I understand UV damage is the biggest worry so once I have my QR system setup, I'll probably put the wheel in the locker when in storage or pitched for an extended period in the sun. I can wind the jockey wheel frame down onto blocks so I have support but no weight on the actual wheel making it easy to put on and off as required. 2 garden Jenga blocks are the perfect size! One flat and one on edge.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Mark31415 said:
My standard solid BPW jockey wheel was juddering all over the place even on a fairly smooth road surface. On a bit of gravel the stress on the jockey pole was bending it so I'll risk a puncture and keep some puncture spray stuff in the front locker.

I understand UV damage is the biggest worry so once I have my QR system setup, I'll probably put the wheel in the locker when in storage or pitched for an extended period in the sun. I can wind the jockey wheel frame down onto blocks so I have support but no weight on the actual wheel making it easy to put on and off as required. 2 garden Jenga blocks are the perfect size! One flat and one on edge.

For my wheelbarrow pneumatic tyre I use Armorall to protect from ultra violet and store it in shade. But keeping it inflated is key to a good life.

Dec 13, 2017
Visit site
otherclive said:
Mark31415 said:

For my wheelbarrow pneumatic tyre I use Armorall to protect from ultra violet and store it in shade. But keeping it inflated is key to a good life.

I'm hoping that by keeping the weight off of it and removing it when it's not going to move for a while we should be OK.

Dec 13, 2017
Visit site
Linch-pins turned up today. Pin is spot-on for diameter. Length and ring diameter are a little more than ideal but I can't find anything smaller and they do latch firmly so should do the job nicely. If you go for it yourself, the rings only spring shut in one direction so make sure you get a positive latch before walking away from it.

Before :-
20180705_144235.jpg

After :-
20180705_144250.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts