melamine mugs

Jun 15, 2005
Visit site
Does anyone know the best way to clean melamine mugs without scratching them. The stains are mainly tea and are unsightly, I think there used to be a cleaner in camp shops but I have been unable to find any.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A mild solution of bleach will do the trick, but your going to need to rinse them well. Another thing that might help although I haven't tried it myself is using dishwasher tablets. I tried them in an old flask (used for tea) and left it to soak overnight. Every stain, and I mean EVERY stain had gone by the morning, so should make short work of a cup.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
buy a tube of denture cleaning tablets and put one in the cup and fill it with hot water. stains will disapear overnight, rinse the cup well and you will have a nice clean cup. A tube of denture cleaner tablets cost about 40p in the local supermarket.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Miltons sterilising fluid. Make up a solution and pour into the cups, the stains will disappear before your eyes. Rinse well.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I found that my melamine mugs were easy to de-stain when they were new, but as they became more used, they stained even quicker and it was progressively harder to remove (even with Milton, bleach etc, putting them in the home dishwasher etc,.)

In the end, I bought a pair of cheap bone china mugs (as there are usually only two of us drinking hot drinks). The drinks taste ten times better and they don't stain - and if they break and have to be replaced - so what?? I know they are heavier, but don't think this is too much of an issue either!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

Get rid of the melemine mugs and replace them with pot versions.All all serving dishes,plates and side plates are melamine, but the coffee and tea mugs are pot, a good cup of coffee in the morning does not taste the same unless in pot. It won't add too much weight unless your taking 10 or 20 away.

Rob

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Miltons sterilising fluid. Make up a solution and pour into the cups, the stains will disappear before your eyes. Rinse well.
Magic Milton, I use it to clean the water system so had some by me, poured about 6mm deep in each badly stained melamine mug, topped up with cold water, looked in half hour and mugs were as new, thanks for tip that works.

May 12, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

Get rid of the melemine mugs and replace them with pot versions.All all serving dishes,plates and side plates are melamine, but the coffee and tea mugs are pot, a good cup of coffee in the morning does not taste the same unless in pot. It won't add too much weight unless your taking 10 or 20 away.

Rob
We've even given up with the rest of the crockery - no melamine anywhere! Food tates so much better on proper plates - they don't add that much to the weight.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts