Mercedes CLS

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
morning all

Ive been towing for 16 years and we're looking for a new tug which could well be a Mercedes CLS shooting brake.. Not new but on a 17 plate - 220d. Got an E220d now

Got a Swift challenger 530

weights look OK

any thoughts anyone ?

Neil

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
If and when I look at a new car for towing top of my list (if I can afford it) will be a Mercedes-Benz GLA-Class. Saw one the other day, really nice vehicle. See here

Mar 19, 2019
Visit site
Don't know about the CLS, but the ML250d had a problem overheating the engine and 7G-Tronic gearbox when an aftermarket towbar was used. The OEM Mercedes towing kit came with additional cooling.

It's now been sorted on the GLE by reducing the towing limit and by fitting the newer 9G-Tronic gearbox.

The ML / GLE and the CLS will use the same engines and gearboxes.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
colinbal4 said:
Don't know about the CLS, but the ML250d had a problem overheating the engine and 7G-Tronic gearbox when an aftermarket towbar was used. The OEM Mercedes towing kit came with additional cooling.

It's now been sorted on the GLE by reducing the towing limit and by fitting the newer 9G-Tronic gearbox.

The ML / GLE and the CLS will use the same engines and gearboxes.

That does not mean the same additional cooling may be required - Always check with the manufacturer.

Just as an example. The Mk1 Zafiria was available with the same engine and gear box that was fitted to the Cavalier of the same year, but the Cavaliers towing limit was much greater than the Zafira's. This was because the engines cooling air flow was far more restricted in the Zafira, requiring a much lower towed weight limit.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Prof , re read postings before Posting, I have fallenfoul of that. And read the full postings from the original one.

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
OK Guys guilty of not reading the post correctly. I looked at the GLC 250 and rather like it. I have a question: What exactly is the difference between:
In other words what is the Extra bit meaning?

EC Urban (mpg): 34.9
EC Extra Urban (mpg): 50.4
EC Combined (mpg): 43.5

Another question about GLC and all motors
Also what does "braked mean"
Max. Towing Weight - Braked: 2400
Why are so many people still buying diesel when it is supposed to be phased out soon?

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Grey13 said:
OK Guys guilty of not reading the post correctly. I looked at the GLC 250 and rather like it. I have a question: What exactly is the difference between:
In other words what is the Extra bit meaning?

EC Urban (mpg): 34.9
EC Extra Urban (mpg): 50.4
EC Combined (mpg): 43.5

Another question about GLC and all motors
Also what does "braked mean"
Max. Towing Weight - Braked: 2400
Why are so many people still buying diesel when it is supposed to be phased out soon?

Extra Urban = CountryRoads & Motorways.

Braked towing weight is the trailer weight allowed if the trailer is fitted with brakes, explained better here:
https://www.parkers.co.uk/company-cars/2013/towing/

As for diesel vehicle purchases, a lot of people realise that diesel is not going anywhere too soon, neither is petrol.
The more gullible of the motoring public take a knee jerk reaction to the misleading spoutiings and pronouncements by politicians and 'tree huggers'.

I am all for saving the environment but it needs government intervention to succeed, not insincere government intervention may I add.

I think a good example is being tried in Norway:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/48404351/why-is-norway-the-land-of-electric-cars

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts