Apr 26, 2008
Visit site
Thinking of getting a Mercedez ML 2.7 Auto. Anyone got any experience of towing with one of these. I have to check the tow weights etc. It is going to tow an Senator Indiana.

Any one got any knowledge of MPG? Only ever towed using a manual gear car, whats it like using an automatic?

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
Jason

I have had 2 of them,make sure you get the facelifted model around 2002 onwards.

I towed a coachman laser and elddis superstorm both twin axles and they never missed a beat,i got around the 20mpg mark towing which i expected.

Very comfortable and quiet excellent motorway cruiser,it would eat up the miles.

Lots and lots of torque,automatic a dream to tow set 60mph on cruise and away you go even up the hills,never had to touch the tiptronic the gearbox did all that for you,good thing was when set on cruise would even maintain the same speed downhill so no need to brake as the car wouldnt pick up speed.

All round running costs were ok never had an issue on reliability,tyres 26k before needed to change them.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I've had my 9facelift) model 7 years now and agree with Mikey it is an excellent tow car. The Burstsner S500 is 1500kg and tows with absolutley no problems. the tiptronic auto box is excellent, particularly for ong downhills e.g. coming down from the plateau in spain to the French border. Servicing is not too frequent and although expensive includes collection and return of the car which saves me over 100 miles if i have to use the second car. Courtesy car available for

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi Jason ,

I had one and agree with everything thats been said , it will pull your house up a skyscraper and not even break sweat.

Generally got 23mpg around town on my daily crawl to work , improved upto abut 30mpg on m-way runs and got about 20mpg towing a 1500kg van and thats down and around the Cornish hills

My only criticism of the one I had was that the ride was on the soft side and this seemed to transfer into the van when towing , so it was a bit 'choppy' at times. I've been told to go for the slightly harder sports suspension as this firmed the ride up and was better for towing.

Get as new as you can especially ones just before the change over (2005) as these were often specced up to sell before the new (current) model came out they're often badged as LUX.

I'm regretting selling my to be honest and am seriously looking at the new varient (probably the ML320cdi) which I believe is streets ahead again.

You dont say what your budget is but current low mileage 2005/6 320s are out there for as little as

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
I had a '53 ML270CDI and loved it. Towed my Senator Oklahoma without trouble. I averaged 24+mpg over the 36k miles I had the car (including towing). Servicing is based on demand - readout tells you when it's due. I believe it monitors the condition of the oil so if you are happy to do a six monthly oil change, it will delay the service point. My car needed serviv=cing at 17k and at 35k.

I now have a ML320CDI Sport and it is even better. Towing fuel consumption is a little heavier at 20mpg (as opposed to 22/23mpg) but over 16k miles, my average (inc towing) is 26+mpg.

Very comfortable car. Mine has air suspension which can be varied from comfort mode to sport (harder) mode. The engine is very quiet and the auto box is sooooo smooth! Recommended.

spj

Apr 5, 2006
Visit site
Hi,

I have had a July 2004 ML270CDI auto Lux for nearly two and a half years and it is faultless, I have towed my last 3 caravans with it, the first was a single axle at 1400kg and the others were twin axles, one at 1700kg and this one at 1750kg.

Overall towing it does 20 - 22mpg and solo on a run near 30mpg, round town solo it is around 20mpg but at well over 2 tons and automatic it is as expected.

Max tow limit is 3500kgs and noseweight is 135kgs, I find mine very stable and the auto box is superb. I have driven the new model and it is a far nicer car but it is also a lot more money, there is a massive jump in prices from a late old to an early new model.

As mentioned before go for a face lift model, don't buy a manual if you can find one and make sure it has dealer history which will keep the 30 year Mobilife breakdown service.

Mine is for sale in a month or so and has a detatchable tow bar, 61000 miles, full dealer history and is very tidy.

spj.

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
I have an ml270 to tow my hobby which is 1900kgs. stability is fine and power isn't a problem. although mb claim all ml models to be 161bhp its a little known fact that the tiptronics are 178bhp. this isn't documented anywhere in the handbook but it is the case.

the handbook also claims a max tow of 2850kgs, but the ec certificate of conformity claims 3365kgs, either way its plenty.

fuel economy: day to day about 28mpg, 30 on a decent run. towing the hobby its 17mpg.

a word about the tiptronic gearbox. it is a superb piece of engineering, but contrary to what mb say the fluid must be changed at not more than 60k miles. mb state "the tiptronic gearbox is filled for life, we do not say who's life".

from about 50k miles onwards the fluid begins to deteriorate which manifests itself by the gearbox temp increasing, if it gets bad enough the 'box will lock itself in either 2nd or 4th depending on road speed. it will perform perfectly given a couple of minutes to cool. however, if you do not take heed at that point you will quickly destroy the gearbox and they are not cheap. given that a fluid change requires 8l of fluid at less than

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
You tow a 1900kg Hobby? The biggest one that may be towed legally behind a Merc ML is a 540 which weighs 1500kg unless it has been massively uprated. Anything larger is more than 2.3m wide, which is the limit in the UK for towing behind a vehicle with a GVW up to 3.5 tonnes. The Merc, big as it is, certainly doesn't have a GVW of over 3.5 tonnes.

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
you're right lutz it is indeed 2.5 mtrs wide. not strictly legal as you say. ive been towing overwidth 'vans for a long time as you know without any problems, but that's a different matter.

Dec 13, 2008
Visit site
I have an '05' plate special edition, 7 full seats and all the extras....it's brilliant. I use mainly for work on motorway journies across UK.( I do about 30,000 a year ) Long run average about 33 mpg.cruising at .... Overall it's works out at about 31mpg.Only thing is it's heavy ish on brake paps so I was told, but I put a set of pads at 26000, and a set of tyres at 33000.Towing a Burstner 520tl about 24.

Dec 13, 2008
Visit site
I have an '05' plate special edition, 7 full seats and all the extras....it's brilliant. I use mainly for work on motorway journies across UK.( I do about 30,000 a year ) Long run average about 33 mpg.cruising at .... Overall it's works out at about 31mpg.Only thing is it's heavy ish on brake paps so I was told, but I put a set of pads at 26000, and a set of tyres at 33000.Towing a Burstner 520tl about 24.

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
The facelifted model 2002 onwards had an auto cooler fitted as std.You dont say how many miles it has done?

It is not a known problem.

Dont go for a manual.

I think you have just been unlucky

Jan 9, 2009
Visit site
Hi, It had about 55000 on the clock when it failed. I spoke with a guy who did work for Merc and said they had a customer with same problem and there was an 'upgrade' or bigger oil cooler required.

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
What a contrast in these posts to the vitriol of the average LR post - makes me want to change my trusty Shogun for a ML but then I remember I can't afford it; darn!

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
I knew there was a possible issue with the pre facelift as they de torqued the engine to avoid issues.

I have looked on merc forums and it is not a common problem.

I didnt know about the upgrade or bigger cooler,I towed with mine to the South of France up and down the hills in 30 plus temps and never missed a beat,i had 2 of them.

Jan 9, 2009
Visit site
I knew there was a possible issue with the pre facelift as they de torqued the engine to avoid issues.

I have looked on merc forums and it is not a common problem.

I didnt know about the upgrade or bigger cooler,I towed with mine to the South of France up and down the hills in 30 plus temps and never missed a beat,i had 2 of them.
ITS A REAL PLEASURE TO DRIVE WITH THE AUTO BOX WHEN TOWING IS FAB SO MUCH BETTER THAN MANUAL TOYOTA PREVIOSLY .I WAS JUST WORRIED ABOUT GETTING A ANNUAL GARBOX REBUILD.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts