Merrose Farm AND Tintagel.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
We have changed our booking for Godrevy to Merrose Farm, has anyone any experience of this site.

Also looking at Trewethitt (Tintagel) for later in the year, any experience of this one.

Was looking forward to Godrevy but we have done that part of Cornwall to death and we are looking to try a new site or two.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
We're at Polmanter near St Ives at the moment and have to say that it's a really good site, clean and well run with up to date facilities. We've been here since 8th May and are staying for a further week.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We used this site a couple of years ago and were very happy with it. Access to it is good down a major road and the site itself is typical CC in layout over several areas. It is quite large but this was not a problem and there is a modest slope on some pitches. If you like club sites then you will be happy with it.
There is a bus service past the site if this is useful but not very regular. The wardens were selling cut price tickets for the Falmouth ferry and King Harry ferry which helps as neither are cheap.
We have not been to Tintagel so cannot help there.
There is a small Coop store reasonably close for provisions.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Never done Polmanter but Penzance, St Ives, Hayle, Gwithian and all that area we are becoming so familiar with its beginning to get repetitive, time for a change.

Over on the Roseland Peninsula is Carne beach which we use a lot. Very flat, very calm, shallow so it warms up quick and no rip tides, so its really a scouting trip for bringing the ankle biter next year. National trust too so free parking, and its less than a mile from Merrose.

Tintagel is only a maybe at the minute, like the idea of going late when the seas are rough and siting the caravan on the headland looking out to sea.

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site
The views from Trewethett Farm are stunning. Good walks on the coast path to Tintagel and Boscastle also Rocky Valley up to St Nectans Glen.
Club site at St Agnes good for views as well but no toilets or showers.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Again, St Agnes is too far into the area we know so well, but Tintagel is looking like a probable for October.

Bit surprised to hear the pitches arent level at Merrose, no mention of that in the handbook.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Thingy said:
Again, St Agnes is too far into the area we know so well, but Tintagel is looking like a probable for October.

Bit surprised to hear the pitches arent level at Merrose, no mention of that in the handbook.

There are a lot of flat pitches but a few are on a slope, not steep but the web pictures manage to avoid them. There are 177 pitches there and if you look at the aerial view you will see there are nowhere near that number shown.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Fair one, Ill just have to hope we get lucky. Ill be putting a new awning up for the first time and would much prefer to have a level pitch, just to get the thing looking right, once!

Im hoping it wont be too full when we arrive, we have deliberately aimed to avoid the school holidays.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Trewethett Farm is a wonderful location.Sunsets to die for. However it can be windy. So much so one year the wardens asked everyone to take down their awnings. Two people refused.They weren't laughing next morning. Usually it's a sun trap.
Choose your pitch carefully. Some are higher and have a much better view than others.
Have you considered a fully serviced pitch at St Mabyn caravan park.
Near Wadebridge and Padstow. One of the best toilet facilities in the country.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
One of the best toilet facilities in the country.

What are you tying to say Dusty, I havent reached that age yet. :cheer:

Never heard of St Mabyn, just off now to check it out. Thanks for the heads up.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Just had a look, £18 for a fully serviced pitch plus another two squid for the awning. Prices arent bad, medical facilities are poor, the nearest doctor being Doc Martin.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Merrose Farm - Used to go every year.
Great site with wonderful walking access, out the gate, cross the road and walk down to the cliff path to go either right or left as the mood takes you. Great August bank holiday regatta at Portscatho 2 miles down the road. More good walking around St Mawes and St Laurence, St Just (Carrick Roads). This is the Roseland and you will find it quieter but more beautiful than many other Cornish areas. Good remote beaches all around (no surf on this coast though), History abounds from the WW2 gun positions at St Lawrence Head to the Normandy bound embarkation point on Carrick Roads near Trelissick, St Mawes castle and catch the ferry over to Falmouth (or use RORO river ferry) for access to Pendennis Castle and Falmouth town etc Try the Cornish pasties at the baker shop on St Mawes quay.... However it has to be said not many pubs or fast food eateries, which some might welcome.

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
W were at Trewethett Farm last summer school holidays.

Follow the directions in the CC info, or if not, comply with the hand made notices at road/track junctions not to use this track ;)

There is the daily bun fight or Trewethett Tango that is amusing to watch. We happily took an available pitch on the top just before the temporary ablutions block. Great views.

Fantastic walk down the the beach. Tintagel is worth a visit too. The actual castle is English Heritage, lots of the area is NT, so if you don't have EH it can be pricey. Boscastle is well worth a day out to, either walk / bus / or drive. Widemouth and Bude are a short drive away. Crackington Haven is a lovely day out for the beach too.

The fish and chip van (on Sunday last year) is far better than Rick Stein in Padstow and less than 1/4 of the price.

The cream teas available to order the night before from the wardens are well worth it. We ordered 1 each, but had them over 3 days as there was so much to them. ;)

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
Great views from everywhere at Trewethitt....we were lucky enough to bag one of the front pitches

usually get some excitement in the form of cliff rescues from the sw coastal path......

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Well, Merrose farm, what can i say.

never again would just about sum it up. Firstly the plus points. Yes the site is a beauty as is the Roseland, dont understand the comment about lack of pubs, found quite a few good uns for both food and a good pint.

For us we were very lucky We managed to get one of the few level pitches there are, with massive space too. On another day it would have been far different. On booking, I was told that there were no arrivals before noon and that was strictly adhered too. Fair dos, parked and waited for noon and duly arrived at the site, to find that a large number of vans had beaten us by hours and this was a theme throughout the weeks we were there. Caravans arriving from 0900 daily. Felt dreadfully sorry for those we saw patiently waiting up the road for noon. At the site, from noon onwards there were caravans frantically driving around looking for pitches and getting more flustered each time they passed us. Pitches too were far from level and some folk had to remove their jockey wheels to get a level. :( Onto the wardens, one nice lady, the rest sour and miserable. On arrival at Merrose, once you have found a pitch you are given a white card to place in the van window with the pitch number, this you hand in when you leave, clearly then the wardens would know what pitches were empty. "You have to drive round and find one" snapped Mrs Happy behind the desk, "Im too busy." Great start. As we attempted this at least 8 others were doing the same it was chaos. As I said, every day was the same. Numerous people throughout the weeks mentioned the same about Mrs Happy.

Despite having its own dogwalk (and I have nothing against dogs or their owners) the usual suspects couldnt be bothered to walk to it, and both the late arrivals area (directly in front of reception) and the grass pitches were often a target, very few bothering to pick up the mess. Despite being in full few of the wardens, nothing was said. Well, actually, I tell a lie there :evil:

Reverting back to the pitch finding chaos, I was stunned to find the wardens holding specific pitches for their friends, and yep, you can guess, the very best pitches on site.

In defence of the wardens, they did work hard and the facilities when cleaned were spotless. I wonder though how some of my fellow caravanners live at home looking at the mess many of them left behind. Noise too, going on till all hours (didnt bother me, I dont go to bed early), but I thought there were rules..........

In truth, we did OK, had a good time and liked the area, but it was by pot luck that we did. Some of the pitches along the side, allocated to people who had booked an awning pitch, you couldnt possible put an awning up on unless you were prepared to drive your pegs into the tarmac road.

Ah well, we tried for a change but its back to what we know for Cornwall next time.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We have used the site but not for some time so cannot comment on current wardens. We had no problems on a grass pitch which sloped a bit but nothing to worry about.
I would say the clubs photos and video of the site is a bit misleading as their is a large field that is all sloping grass pitches that is missed even from the aerial shots of the site.
We were happy with the site but went before the English school holidays so that although the site was pretty full it had spaces.
While we were there a child was badly bitten by a dog and I would have to say the wardens then were superb in dealing with this and clearing an area for an air ambulance to land to take the child to hospital.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Agree with what has been said about Trewithett. As for putting up your awning, good luck with that one! Hardstanding isn't the word. At first sight, we wondered why there were so few awnings up, though put this down to the breeezy location. Couldn't get screwpegs in even with drill on hammer setting..
Essential to follow CC directions as there other ways there, except you wouldn't get the van down them

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts