MESSAGE for BARRYB

Sep 12, 2005
Visit site
I hope you don't mind me doing this, but I was reading your post about directions to Lake Garda, in which you mentioned FORNELLA. I am looking to go there in August this year and was wondering if you could give me any info

regards andrew

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Andrew

Of course I don't mind you asking......isn't that what this forum is for.

We have been to Fornella twice and are going back this year, also in August. The site is right on the lake side, with a beach area, but it is very rocky and pebbly. No good for little children and sand castles. However, the water is very clear and nice to swim in, but footwear does help. Many of the pitches are small and the site is terraced but most pitches are level. In the past the British seem to placed away from the lake and this tends to give easier access to pitches. There is a new developed pitching area with very good and larger places. They do cost a bit more and have taps and drains for inline connections. However there is less shade. We have reserved one of these through the Caravan Club. The shop, bar and restaurant are next to the beach/lake and a table for an evening meal overlooking the lake is just lovely. The meals are quite good if a little 'touristy' but you can get specialities. The shop is fine and a supermarket is about 10 mins away. You can also book tickets/buses for the Opera in Verona from the site(you may be able to do this at most sites as well). Toilets and showers are very good but a little walk from the new area. The pool, new about 3 years ago, is very pleasant but the water can be chilly at times. From the main road to the site can seem to be a long way first time and narrow in places but I guess it is about 3 miles. Try looking at the web site www.fornella.it. Of course the area is just fantastic with great days out.

A drive round the lake, a boat trip, other towns and markets. Do have a go. Ask if you want more info.

Happy travels BarryB

Sep 12, 2005
Visit site
Hi Barryb,

Thanks for your reply, I was wondering if you could tell me a good route to take. It looks like I will be travelling in convoy with my uncle and cousin. We are planning to go from Dover to Dunkerke,I have done a route using Michelin, which takes us into Belgium, into Luxemburg, back into france then into Switzerland and finally into Italy, though my cousin seems to think that you can't go through Switzerland without a 4*4.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi. We are also going there in August.Doing a couple of overnight stops in Reims and Les abrets to break up the very long journey.I think we are missing out Switzerland due to the 'extras 'you have to pay.However we are going Dover Calais which may make a difference in the route we will take. Catherine

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
Response from a poor pensioner who cannot afford ( wont ) pay tolls unless I cannot avoid it.

Try www.mappy.com and ask for the toll free route to Kempten and then toll through Austria via Innsbruck.

Thats my route all motorway except 20 miles or so from Kempten to the Austrian border.

Serfing caravaners of the world unite!!!

ttfn

Mike

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi. We are also going there in August.Doing a couple of overnight stops in Reims and Les abrets to break up the very long journey.I think we are missing out Switzerland due to the 'extras 'you have to pay.However we are going Dover Calais which may make a difference in the route we will take. Catherine
Hi Catherine

We too are going to Les Abrets (Coin Tranquille)before we move into Italy. It is likely that you will use the Frejus or the Mont Blanc tunnel. The cost is quite high at about 40 Euros (

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Barryb,

Thanks for your reply, I was wondering if you could tell me a good route to take. It looks like I will be travelling in convoy with my uncle and cousin. We are planning to go from Dover to Dunkerke,I have done a route using Michelin, which takes us into Belgium, into Luxemburg, back into france then into Switzerland and finally into Italy, though my cousin seems to think that you can't go through Switzerland without a 4*4.
Hi Andrew

I am not sure why your cousin thinks you must have a 4X4 for Swiss travel. An ordinary car will cope well and it is NOT a legal requirement. It is very likely that you will travel through Switzerland on the motorways ( it will cost about

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
And as I always say on threads on this region, don't miss a trip to the Roman Arena in Verona to see the Opera.

'Its a fantastic spectacle and the music's quite good too.'

Wish I was going again.

Sep 12, 2005
Visit site
Hi BarryB, it looks like we will be going to fornella. we are arrivinh on the 14th august for 10 nights and I was wondering when you are going?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi to BarryB thanks for the info for the Itallian site, we were due to go there 2Yrs ago but where advised that the van was too big for the pitches. Looking into going next year now. Bazz.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Andrew

Looks like we may share a local wine!!!! we arrive 19th August for 8 nights. Hope you have made and confirmed a booking to reserve a pitch.

Happy travels

BarryB

Sep 3, 2005
Visit site
And as I always say on threads on this region, don't miss a trip to the Roman Arena in Verona to see the Opera.

'Its a fantastic spectacle and the music's quite good too.'

Wish I was going again.
if you want to see the opera @ verona i would not go in the

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts