Method for levelling van

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Can anyone give a step by step guide on how a van should be levelled on site? Should I be using ramps and the jockey wheel followed by the steadies, or is it OK to level only on the steadies?

Andy - it's simple. First level the van from side to side by driving/pulling/pushing it with planks or a ramp under the lower of the wheels. Check level with a spirit level placed across the floor of the van. Then level it fore and aft by winding the jockey wheel up or down with the spirit level now fore and aft in the van. When it's all level wind down the steadies to stabilise it. Don't over-tighten them. NEVER use the steadies to lift or level the van. Now open beer! Graham

Apr 27, 2006
Visit site
Corner steadies are meant for what their name suggests, steadying the van after levelling. First level the van side to side by using wheel ramps or similar and then front to back by use of the jockey wheel. Never take the weight of the van on the steadies.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Andy

Always level side to side first with ramps and/or blocks, then using the jockey wheel, level front to back. Only then should you lower all the corner steadies to stabilise the whole van. Remember the corner steadies are just that ie. for steadying not for taking the main weight or for lifting the van. Good luck.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I don't know if this is correct but I level the van across the axels first using ramps if i have to, some times you can move the van on the pitch to achieve this, second i level back to front with the jockey wheel Then lower the steadies when the van is level. The steadies should never be used to level the van. Both caravan clubs have leaflets to help you out Hope this helps

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
When levelling your van the first thig to do is get it level side to side and do this with the car still attached and use a ramp on the lower side,once thats done you can*release the car and using the jockey wheel level front to back,it is not wise to use the legs to lift the van that is not what their made for,they are for steadying only.

Very often on commercial sites you do not need to level side to side because its already levelled ground.PS*put your handbrake on before releasing car.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Level it across the axle first, using ramps etc as appropriate. Then use the jockey wheel to get it level front to back. The steadies are well-named, and should be used to support a level unit rather than raise it. If you can set up facing in any direction you won't need ramps: swivel the unit until it is level across the axle - every slope is level at some point.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Andy,

Level the 'van up sideways first by either roating the 'van or using ramps. Then un-hitch and use the jockey wheel to level lengthways. Wind the steadies down to steady the 'van only, don't apply to much presure. If you try use the steadies to take the weight of the 'van you could twist the chassis as well as damaging the steadies thread.

Regards

Pete

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Andy, when you get on site, and on your pitch, check with a spirit level which has TWO levl indicators, one fore and aft, one side to side, placed on the floor just inside the door, and decide which ways need levelling.Some will just need fore and aft levelling, some side to side, and some both!!. Start with side to side and use ramps or blocks and pull the van up on them to get it level, side to side, then check fore and aft, and raise or lower the jockey wheel to get that level, THEN lower the steadies to maintain the van in its now levelled position.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I find the best way to level is to use a levelling ramp(home made out of wood, steps about one inch high) Get onto site, and if levelling required side to side, pull forward onto levelling board. When this is done level front to back using jockey wheel Corner steadies should not be used to jack up caravan but to stabilise tghe caravan when caravan is level

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Andy, what I do is always set the side to side (or east/west leveling first, whilst van is still attached to the car. I normally reverse back as far as poss, put a ramp down in front of wheel, then drive forward pulling van up on to a leveling ramp as required. I then place a chock on the ramp behind the wheel, and one on the other side behind that wheel. I then very carefully let the car/caravan roll back (although in essence it barely moves) untill settled on the chocks. Another chock is then placed in front of the non ramped wheel.

Van handbrake is then applied and jockey wheel wound down (or unclamped/lowered/reclamped and then wound down) untill settled on the ground or a block under jockey wheel as required. Disconnect all cables/stabiliser etc and then lift the release lever on towhitch and wind the jockey wheel down lifting drawbar off the towball. Still with me? Good. Car is moved forward out the way and then finally the jockey wheel is used to set the fore/aft or north/south leveling of the van. Lastly steadies are lowered and they should only ever be used as steadies once all above has been completed. Don't use them to jack/level the van in anyway as this is not what they are designed for and could bend chassis or split the floor! Be warned!

The reason I pull my van up onto a levelling ramp (as opposed to reversing/pushing it up) is so as to ensure that drawbar is fully extended for these 2 reasons: 1, it ensures that handbrake is properly applied as van could roll backwards if handbrake applied when drawbar is fully retracted due to the action of the auto reverse mechanism (if your wheels weren't chocked that is!) and 2, that as you release the van from the tow ball it ensures that hitch doesn't shoot forward under its inbuilt spring pressure and damage the back of the car. Hope this all helps (and that you followed my ramblings ok). Andy Palmer

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Andy - be carful about just using the steadies for levelling the van, you could inadvertently twist the chassis. Use planks of wood for west-east levelling, then use the jockey wheel for north/south levelling. When all is level, THEN use the steadies to secure the van in that position. Using steadies to level the van can also cause the screw threads to strip, as they're not designed for this function.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Andy,

(use spirit level to assist)

1. level van using ramps under wheel.

2. level van using jockey wheel

3. use steadies to 'firm up' not support van in levelled position.

you are right steadies are there to steady not level or support.

John k

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Andy

If you have a choice at a site that slopes face the drawbar downhill, Place a wheel chock under each wheel.The use jocky to raise the front end as much as posible, then lower rear steadies first, use a spirt level in kichen and then lower front steadies, Steadies must not be used to lift a van they are not designed to do that, they are to give a stable platform. To pitch across a slope use a ramp to bring the level up on that side, then as above. A good idea is to have some hard wood blocks to put under the steadies about 9" square x 3/4" thick and one for jocky, once van is stable release handbrake,

have fun Jim

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Pull the van forward( reversing can cause brake engagement probs) onto ramps and level side to side using a spirit level and put on the handbrake.Chock both wheels ,unhitch , level front to rear with the jockey wheel and then lower the steadies before releasing the handbrake on long stays to avoid brakes being stuck on when leaving.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Andy

The steadies are NOT for levelling the van. Whilst you still have the van on the car when you get on your pitch first level the van side to side. The side that needs lifting up put a levelling block under that wheel and pull the van on to it until it is level. Put the handbrake on the caravan, put wedges at the back of both wheels to stop the van slipping. Remove the car from the van and then level the van front to back by winding the jockey wheel up or down accordingley. If you get into a set routine you will have no problem and make sure that you do the work WITH THE CAR. The caravanshould be resting on the two wheels and the jockey wheel and the steadies should only provide stability at the corners to stop the van wobbling.

Good luck,

Regards

Harold

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Do not use the corner steadies for levelling. They are what they say they are, just corner steadies for when the 'van has been levelled.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I use a spirit level.

BEFORE you unhitch the car, check the spirit level on a level surface (we use work surface just inside door) across the van i.e. parallel to a line between wheels. If you need to, you can then place a small ramp (available from most outlets, or you can make your own) under one wheel, and pull the van forward until level across axles (helps to have a partner watching level and signalling. I then chock wheels, apply brake and unhitch van. THen check level front to back and adjust jockey wheel until level. THEN lower steadies to stabilise van in chosen position. THen no worries about cups sliding off tables or sleeping on an incline!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Level side to side first with ramps, planks or purpose made leveller,

then end to end with jockywheel, then wind down the steadys, on no account use the steadys to lift the van. hope this helps

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Never level with steadies! They are just that - steadies. The basic principle is level across the axle first, then front to back. I reverse onto pitch, check out the level across the van and then, before unhitching, if needed reverse lowest wheel of van onto ramp. Then chock it. Then unhitch van, level the van front to back (like a see saw) using the jockey wheel. Next, lower the steadies, then if you want remove the jockey (I usually leave it). I then sometimes find when I have unloaded the van the steadies need to go down a bit more to compensate for the load I was carrying. If you level using steadies as jacks you will twist the floor.Good luck

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Do not under any circumstanses use the steadies to level the van, these should only be used to just be made firm to the ground. When you have positioned your van on site, before removing your car check the level accross the width of van and if unlevel drive on to blocks the low side, unhitch then level for and aft using the jockey wheel. Easy.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
NEVER use the steadies to level a caravan. First get two ramps and chocks from your dealer. Drive on to your pitch. Put a spirit level on the floor across your van and put a ramp under the lowest wheel move the van forward until the wheel rides up on to the ramp far enough to level the wheels. Put the break on and nhitch. Using the jockey wheel raise/lower the front of the van to get it level front to back. Wind down your steadies and make a cup of tea 'cause you've arrived. There are many variations on the theme but what I've described is pretty much standard

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Andy

First - the steadies should never be used to lift the 'van.

Before you unhitch you must level across the 'van by lifting one wheel. This can be done simply by pulling the 'van up a short plank of wood with a block under one end. I use a plastic thing that is banana shaped - it is about an inch thick at one end and increases to around 6" at the other. You simply put the thin end in front of the wheel and pull 'van up to desired height. Chock both wheels and apply the handbrake. Unhitch

Once you have levelled across the van you simply wind the jockey wheel up or down to level fore & aft. Wind the steadies down till they touch, then give them all a turn more, but don't overtighten. You can always tighten them down a bit more later if they have settled in the ground. I always release the handbrake, when I am sure the caravan is safe, to release tension on the cable - not everyone will agree with this!

Put the kettle on.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts