microwave.

May 24, 2005
Visit site
How many amps minimum will a site require, to be able to use a microwave, and would all the other electics need to be switched off?

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Max, depends what size microwave you intend to use. They all need approximately twice the running amps on start, so a 1000 watt Micro will need just over 8 amps for start, then run at just over 4 amps.

May 24, 2005
Visit site
Max, depends what size microwave you intend to use. They all need approximately twice the running amps on start, so a 1000 watt Micro will need just over 8 amps for start, then run at just over 4 amps.
Thanks Damien, I live in Germany and I have no idea what an average site would have for ampere, any idea?

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Damien, I live in Germany and I have no idea what an average site would have for ampere, any idea?
Max, Its a case of asking the site operator what amp limit is available on the hookup. Some are as low as 6 amps, a lot are set to10amps, and some at 16amps.

If you are in doubt, its best to switch off the non essential items, like water heater, space heater, just while you use the micro.

Hope this helps.

May 24, 2005
Visit site
Max, Its a case of asking the site operator what amp limit is available on the hookup. Some are as low as 6 amps, a lot are set to10amps, and some at 16amps.

If you are in doubt, its best to switch off the non essential items, like water heater, space heater, just while you use the micro.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Damian, You sure have been a great help. thanks a million.

May 29, 2005
Visit site
hi max you can work the amps require by any item by using the following formula

amps used = watts(on applience label) divided by voltage(240volts)

eg, if the applience is rated at 1000 watts then its 1000 divided by 240v equals approx 4.25 amps

regards ant

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
We used our 800 watt microwave at a site in Germany without any problems although the guidebook only listed 6amp connections there. (And the telly was on at the same time, too.)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Do not be mislead into believing that a 1Kw microwave actually uses 1 Kw. The rating in shop windows is output. The energy input is much greater.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It will draw more than this, Tina, if the output power is 700 watts. You need to look at the plate on the rear or inside the door to fing the input wattage.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
It will draw more than this, Tina, if the output power is 700 watts. You need to look at the plate on the rear or inside the door to fing the input wattage.
Your right Rod ! Had a look at my home micro( 950w ) uses actually 1550w thats (correct me if i'm wrong!)6.4 amps !

I added an extra 400 on to the 700w one from tesco (as a rough guide ) and it works out at around 5 amps maybe a bit less !! not to bad if its not going to be on all the time ,suppose you'd have to be on a 16amp hookup though really wouldnt you?

Jun 2, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

Practical caravan did a review of microwaves a few months back and had the max watts used (I think the tesco one was reviewed)

heres the link http://www.practicalcaravan.com/product/mar05.html

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tina,

I run a 800watt output micowave on a 2KW generator along with the water heating and battery charging without problem.
Hello Rod,

If you have a combined Gas/mains water heater, then heating water by generator is a very expensive way of doing it.

The figures go like this; Gas consumption for 1.2kW burner is 83gm per hour. Heating takes about 20Min so gas used is about 28gm.

Electrical elements are typically rated at 800W and take about 30 min to heat water. The fuel used will be about 400ml (about 300gm).

The difference in heating efficiency is down to the fact that gas appliances have to be at least 70% efficient at turning gas into usable heat. The electrical element is of course virtually 100% efficient as it is immersed in the water, but the best portable petrol generators are at best 14% at converting fuel to electricity and typically only 8 to 10%

Don't forget that the gas is shut off when the thermostat operates so no gas is used until the the thermostat calls again, unlike the the generator which continues to run even when the water heater T/Stat has turned off the element.

Moral: if on mains hook up - use mains to heat water, run the fridge, but if you need generator, use gas for water heating and running the fridge - its much quieter, uses less fuel and benefits the environment and you pocket.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts