Midge Repellent.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
For anyone going to Scotland in the near future they may like to try this recommendation. A Scottish member of the Lotus 7 Club has just discovered that 'Avon Skin So Soft Original' oil free spray works well and is actually sold in the USA as an insect repellent. For him the only downside was that it made him smell a bit effeminate!! Apparently the SAS have been using it for years to repel the midges.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dusty, I have mentioned this product to an Avon lady who was delivering catalogues in my road and asked if she could get hold of a bottle for me - forest green body lotion was always mentioned as the best for midge repellent. She tells me that it is not in the new catalogue, is there another product, the spray which you mention, which is just as effective? Please let me know. Thanks Tony

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
It's not just Scotland that has the dreaded midge parts of North Wales have them as well and I'm not so much of a babe magnet but I am a midge magnet so if anyone can tell me where I can get some of this spray I'd be very grateful.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dusty, I have mentioned this product to an Avon lady who was delivering catalogues in my road and asked if she could get hold of a bottle for me - forest green body lotion was always mentioned as the best for midge repellent. She tells me that it is not in the new catalogue, is there another product, the spray which you mention, which is just as effective? Please let me know. Thanks Tony
Tony, apparently many members of the Lotus 7 club were already aware of this product so I have put the question to their forum as to where to get it from now.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tony,

It is available on the Avon website. The easiest way to it is if you go to the Lotus 7 Club forum, www.blatchat.com, click on Chitchat and find the topic 'Midges'. You will find a direct link to click on that will take you straight to the product.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tony,

It is available on the Avon website. The easiest way to it is if you go to the Lotus 7 Club forum, www.blatchat.com, click on Chitchat and find the topic 'Midges'. You will find a direct link to click on that will take you straight to the product.
or try this http://www.avonshop.co.uk/product.asp?prod=16906&returnto=catalog.asp?id=40

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Hi Dusty, I'm off to Scotland in 3 weeks. Maybe an old wives tale but we're going to take Brewers Yeast tablets for a couple of weeks before we go - apparently the midges don't like the taste of it in your blood / sweat. It's been recommended to me by more than one person although this will be the first time I've tried it. Has anyone heard of the same thing??? Anyway - have a good trip. Ken

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
My experience of midges in Scotland relates to the West Coast around Loch Carron (I have family up there)if this is typical of the rest of Scotland I think a bee keepers mask would be more appropriate. My advise would be stay indoors after dusk as I don't think any repelant would be effective. By the way dont let this stop you its a lovely place.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I used Avon skin so soft, but it didn't stop the little bu***rs having a meal out of me.

Most camping shops sell DEET which is quite effective. If you go to the local chemist as I did they might be able to offer advice etc.

I was close to having to go to hospital as I'd got over 400 bites on my arms and legs, even now a year later I still have the scars from those that went septic.

It didn't spoil my holiday though as Scotland is a beautiful place and the people are most welcoming.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi there,

It's actually called Avon dry oil body spray, Woodland Fresh.As someone has already said,it makes men smell a bit feminine,but it definitely puts the midges off.The forestry workers also use it,and they are certainly butch !!If you don't know any Avon ladies,just go on line.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I used Avon skin so soft, but it didn't stop the little bu***rs having a meal out of me.

Most camping shops sell DEET which is quite effective. If you go to the local chemist as I did they might be able to offer advice etc.

I was close to having to go to hospital as I'd got over 400 bites on my arms and legs, even now a year later I still have the scars from those that went septic.

It didn't spoil my holiday though as Scotland is a beautiful place and the people are most welcoming.
Always remember,the midge season is from end of May to end of August,so take your Scottish holidays outwith these times and you will be ok.Did you know that it is only the females who bite?????

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Interestingly enough in this weekend's Telegraph holiday supplement was this item:

'I am going with my family, whose ages range from five to 64, to the west coast of Scotland near Oban. Can you recommend a good midge repellent for sensitive skin? If not, I fear that my family may be put off holidays in Scotland for life.

Gill's response:

I know a team of Scottish foresters that swears by a long-established Avon product called Soft and Fresh Dry Oil Body Spray (

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
received my Avon skin so soft dry oil body spray last week, I haven't used it in anger yet so I dont know how effective it is but it doesn't smell that strong I've just got to keep reminding myself that the SAS use it. On the down side and bearing in mind I'm a single divorced bloke I'm now on their mailing list and have received a few flyer's from them reminding me about their "fabulous range of skincare products and contemporary fashion and lingerie" which I could do without as the postman is now blowing me kisses.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

Try jungle formula, used and approved by the forestry commision (well the last time I read lable) We have used it for years and very effective even though it does not smell great. I take part in a lot of field sports and being on damp land and not moving to much, insect repellent is a must and this is very good indeed, but it can taint the port a little when choosing a peg.

Rob

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

We have just spent three fantastic weeks in Scotland, I wasn't looking forward to going at this time of year, as we had always been early and late, due to the midges. However, I have found and excellent insect repellent, which you wear around your wrist and ankle, in the form of a band called "Dry Mosi-Band" They do of course contain DEET, but for somebody like myself who has a ghastly allergy towards the little blighters, I found these to be the best, when used with Jungle Formula as well. I think I only got bitten about a dozen times which is pretty good in my case. I bought them on the internet, which came via an article in the CC&C mag. If anybody is interested I will dig up the mag and give them the address.

Wendy.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts