Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Alan, went to Luss and Bellingham in June last year and it were real bad, even my partner who is Scottish said if its as bad as that we are going somewhere else lol thanks again

ed1

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
hello rick,

we went to luss in july/august, and my hubby was eaten to death, by midges of course, and last year we were in bunree in june, it wasnt as bad, as luss, but still used the spray we got from the supermarket in fort william. thats why we are going up in april this year.regards. ED

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi Rick

Wewent to Inverness via Bunree last year in June and were supposed to have a week there on the way back. In the 15 minutes we were hitching up my husband had 35 bites and they drove us mad. Never again at thaat time of year. There was no problem on the east coast.

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
We live in Scotland and the midge season is from end of May until the end of August.The west coast is always affected but the east coast is better.

Bunree shouldn't be too bad if you are at the front of the site.The pitches at the back are near bushes so be warned !

If you can come in early may or sept.you will not be so bothered.

Glencoe I have never stopped there but imagine it will be as bad.

Apr 15, 2009
Visit site
hi, i will probably get a row from the moderator for this.....lol.... ( free advertsing ) avon skin so soft is supposedly good as a midgie repellant. i have some in the caravan, but never needed it yet.

good luck

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Dippy27 is right about avons skin so soft, but it has to be original fragrance, because the others don't work, we always use it when have been abroad, and never been bit. Cheers, Roy

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Jo-anne

It's not as bad as it seems. Wind , temperature, sun etc all play a part. I've never had a holiday where the nidges were a real problem. Well only once in 1974 at Loch Sween. I've done Bunree loads and must say they haven't spoilt my holiday. There are loads of things you can do to protect yourself. Don't panic!

Cheers

Alan

ed1

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
hello jo-anne

we went in june last year and 3 days out of 4 were bad on the site,( for hubby) i dont tend to get bit as bad as hubby, as i said earlier, we are choosing to go late april this year, as we head up to skye, we are stopping off at bunree. do you have to go july. scotland is beautiful whatever time of year. we live in yorkshire and i would go every week if i could. when we have been in the summer months we have had four seasons in one day, but dont be put off. if youve never been just go with the knowledge you now have and prepare for it. regards ED

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Jo-anne

Only the last two weeks of July and that was at Loch Linnhe Caravan park Corpach, the other side of Fort William. Three years ago I heard a few of them at Ardmair Point Ullapool but otherwise I was ok.

Ed's post is good advice. Just go prepared with the Avon stuff already suggested and enjoy yourself.

Do what Maureen says and don't pitch by the bushes.

Alternatively if you really are that worried go to the Pitlochry area, Blair Castle Caravan Park.

Cheers

Alan

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Midges can't fly if the wind is over 7 mph, or so I was told. Choose a breezy site !

As for Avon Skin So Soft, it didn't work for me, well not against the midges anyway. I smelt very nice if slightly unmanly !

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Got the skin so soft 9 bottles of itlol we were even spraying the dog, The wardens at Luss lovely people must have made a fortune selling the nets that go over your head

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts