midlands to bunree in one day!!

Apr 3, 2005
Visit site
Hi all, we have booked to go to bunree in the summer, my question is, would you drive all the way in one day or have a stop over?

door to door is 400 miles, we have all day to do it in, but do you think its too far in a day?

thank you for your replys.

Andrew.

Apr 15, 2009
Visit site
hi

we travelled from the scottish borders to newquay in 1 day ( 500 miles), but without the caravan. it was ok, but we were all shattered when we got there. last year though, with the caravan we had a couple of days stopover in wales. you should make the most of the freedom of having a caravan & see some other parts of scotland before you get to bunree. stop off in the scottish borders lol.....

we are actually going to bunree this summer, it looks great. after doing 2 years down south, we thought our kids should see some of their homeland.

have fun whatever you decide

carole

ed1

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
hello andrew,

we did wakefield, west yorks to bunree in approx 6/7 hours. this was with a couple of stops including time for lunch. we set off at around 6 am and arrived approx 1.30. it rained most of the way from penrith. this route was m1 , a1, a66, m6 and then the stirling route instead of loch lomond route. we thought the route from stirling was better for us , if you look on skye part 2 i think you will get comments on the roads, it was further down the list. sorry forgot to say the total mileage was approx 350, we are in fact doing it again in april on our way to skye.hope this helpS. regards ED

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Andrew,

We have done Gloucestershire to Glencoe in one day. We left at 6.00am and arrived at 3.00pm having stopped. The boss also shares the towing. Using the "Stirling / Callender" route.

That was with a smaller caravan and estate car. Now we have a ta and 4x4 we tend to stop off overnight or two. Last two years we have used the CC at Troutbeck Head . Coming back we use Hoddom Castle Lockerbie.

So yes , it is possible but why rush? Also achieving the one stop goal makes no allowance for problems, eg motorway holdups or breakdowns etc.

You'll enjoy Bunree and the restaurants nearby , eg The Four Seasons, and for fine dining the Ballchulish Hotel .

Cheers

Alan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
its a fair old run admittedly motorway most of the way now - we have travelled from Lancashire to Bunree but I would not do it again in a single journey - we tend to stopover part way, in our case usually at the Caravan Club affiliated site at Blair Drummond, near Stirling - the Camping and Caravanning Club at Moffat is another option just off the A74M

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I don't think there is definitive answer to this question its what suits the individual. I tend to cover a 800/1000 miles each week business mileage so would not see a problem with a 400 mile tow. We do like to arrive on site when going away for a long break by mid afternoon which allows us to get the awning up and settled in before tea time. We would also look to leave early and plan to avoid traffic hotspots during the morning rush hour.

Nov 14, 2006
Visit site
Hi were going to Bunree this summer too!! Travelling from the Isle of Wight. We are stopping for 1 night, at cc site in Carlise going up, and 4 nights in Yorkshire coming back.

Never been to Scotland before, really looking forward to it.

Tigger

Apr 3, 2005
Visit site
Hi were going to Bunree this summer too!! Travelling from the Isle of Wight. We are stopping for 1 night, at cc site in Carlise going up, and 4 nights in Yorkshire coming back.

Never been to Scotland before, really looking forward to it.

Tigger
Hi all, thank you for your replies, particularly the ones regarding the route, i dont personally like the route along loch lomond with a twin axle, so will try another!

many thanks, happy holidays!!

Andrew.

Nov 19, 2007
Visit site
Andrew

My wife and I have just done a trip of exactly 600 miles in thirteen hours - towing a 2 tonne trailer. I won't say it was pleasant but it does show what is possible if you time it right for traffic. We have regularly done Fort William in Scotland to East Anglia - 500 miles - without thinking about it. Being an ex lorry driver probably helps but I think you should manage 400 miles provided you are well rested before your journey. By the way our worst journey was 10 hours for what is usually a 4.5 hour drive from Cheddar to Thetford in Norfolk - a nightmare.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts