Milenco Super Heavy or AL-KO Premium Safety

Jul 16, 2018
Visit site
So it’s that time when I need to decide what hitch lock.
Van is parked in my garden nose in and hitched on to a ball postl, plus nemesis clamp and steady locks on the rear.
So Im looking for a good hitch look as it will need to be broken if they want to take my van. Yes I know if they want it they will take it, but I’m in a residential area and the more noise the better.
I’m still undecided between the Milenco Super Heavy Duty or AL-KO Premium Safety. Both are super heavy in construction but I can’t find any definitive first hand reviews etc. I’m leaning towards the milenco as the key lock looks more secure and pick proof
Milenco
Any first hand experience would be greatly apreaciated. Insurance etc isn’t a factor here as as I’m in Germany there are no preconditions or discounts regarding what you use to secure your van. I just want to make it as hard as possible.
Ian

Jun 20, 2017
Visit site
They are both very good items but I went for the Alko product as I got 50% discount along with the Alko wheel lock.
All fits well.

Kevin

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
We have the milenco one that is in your link for the last 5 year , takes about 3o seconds to get on and off but that's with the key !! Hopefully a lot longer without it ! Either one are good deterrents .

Jul 16, 2018
Visit site
Thanks Kevin
My new van insurance is €380 fully comp with or without locks so I’m focusing purely on security, it’s star anger that I find reviews on everything apart from these two products.
I’ve had both in my hands and both are very heavy duty.
The lock on the Milenco looks more secure.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Hello Newdur ,
I've never had no problem with the lock at all, straight in , turn straight off easy . It's just what you want when you want to get away quick when going away .

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
I have the same Hitch Lock. Also have had no issues. Is easy to fit and much cheaper than AL-KO equivalent! Its also good to put the lock on if you park at a service area and leave the car/caravan unattended. Lots of caravan thefts reported in the UK from Motorway Services where they have been left unsecured.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
CustardAvenger said:
....Is easy to fit and much cheaper than AL-KO equivalent! Its also good to put the lock on if you park at a service area and leave the car/caravan unattended.....

Paul , or anyone can I pick your brain , caravan is back at storage at the minute so I can't go out and check ; are you saying that the lock that we have we can travel with it locked in position whilst on the car whilst towing ?

Hitched on as normal then replaced back on

Jun 20, 2017
Visit site
Craig

looking at your picture it appears that the stabilizer is not fully engaged with the hitch lock fitted (that is exactly the same as how the Alko version sits too).
so my answer would be no, you cant travel like that?

Kevin

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi Craig,
I believe that you should only use the hitch lock whilst the van is stationary.
If you were to be involved in a major accident on the road, it would hinder the emergency services, should they need to unhitch the unit from the car.
Regards,

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
CustardAvenger said:
....Is easy to fit and much cheaper than AL-KO equivalent! Its also good to put the lock on if you park at a service area and leave the car/caravan unattended.....

Paul , or anyone can I pick your brain , caravan is back at storage at the minute so I can't go out and check ; are you saying that the lock that we have we can travel with it locked in position whilst on the car whilst towing ?

Hitched on as normal then replaced back on

Craig,

Kevin & Lappy are right... The hitch lock does prevent the full engagement of the stabiliser and it would prevent unhitching in an emergency. I have only applied the lock while hitched at the services when the car was left unattended. I obviously had to disenage the stabiliser and just left it up.

It was after doing this I read about caravan thefts from services in broad daylight!!

Jul 16, 2018
Visit site
Over here on mainland it’s toatally legal to drive with the lock on, and in certain parts of the South of France you would be silly not too. The key has to be on your car ignition key loop. But that being said it would only be the Alko version as the milenco is not form shaped and the up stability arm can’t be Ingauged. I was under the impression that driving with locked hitch in the UK was illegal.

Anyway back to topic, I’ll go with the millennial super heavy and as a bonus it’s 75€ cheaper. Thanks for the comments

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Newdur said:
Over here on mainland it’s toatally legal to drive with the lock on, and in certain parts of the South of France you would be silly not too...

Sounds dodgy!... Will thieves nick the caravan when you are still in the car?

Jul 16, 2018
Visit site
Kevin2306 said:
The Alko version also prevents the stabilise from engaging fully.

Kevn
Do you mean the handel dosnt fully go down? It’s Stange because over here that’s the USP for an Alko lock on alko hitch that you can drive with it locked.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Just popped out to see what mine does. The hitch clicked down over the red plastic ball. The Alko lock in place and stabiliser handle closes right down. However I wouldn’t tow with it in place and locked. We never leave van unattended at services anyway.

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
Just as Newdur and Clive say, by design, the Alko one allows the stabiliser to be fully engaged. I would never tow with it on, primarily because of the significant effect it would have on the noseweight, but I always put it on whenever we stop at Services, or even if we have the outfit parked up in a holding area on site on the last day if ever we stay to use the facilities after vacating the pitch ...

2gt1d6t.jpg

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
As others have said the Alko Premium Safety does allow you to fully depress the stabiliser handle & Tow with it on,

There is no law in the UK to stop you towing with a hitch lock it’s purely down to personal preference,

My feelings are it would just be more hassle in the event of an accident or breakdown so I don’t bother & having had a caravan clipped by something in the services I never leave it unattended anymore

May 24, 2014
Visit site
in the services I never leave it unattended anymore

Same here, one of us usually stays with the van whilst the other heads for the ammenities. I have never towed with the hitch lock on but I always keep it close at hand and if I ever had to leave the van even for five minutes I would take the trouble to fit it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts