Mirrors, Do You fit them? Be Honest,

Dec 6, 2007
Visit site
Thorny issue this,

I'm not having a pop at anyone, just interested,

I'm always amazed by how many caravaners i see with no extra mirrors. I drive buses in north wales so i see my share of caravans.

There seems to be no pattern to it, I'll see £50K outfits without them then an old tatty outfit with them! There's no pattern to car width against caravan width either. wide cars with / narrow cars without.

They are a legal requrement in most cases,

So be honest, do you use them?

Gareth

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Usually.

I do have a wide people carrier but also a wide van.

If I'm on a very short journey say from storage to home, sometime I don't, but on proper journeys, always.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I don't need to but I always fit them as it increases my field of view. Left is set to optimise seeing the van wheel.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
"I don't need to but I always fit them as it increases my field of view."

WRONG - if they increase your field of view you do NEED to fit them, your rearward view would be inadequate without them.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
No, but I'll plead a special case - we tow an Eriba Triton behind my E-class. And in the standard mirrors I have a clear view down both sides of the Eriba - and a view through the Eriba too...

Robert

Dec 6, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for that guys, i wasn't sure if you'd all tell me to b***** off!

I always fit mine too, i can't belive that so many people get away with not having them. [On holidays too!] I'm sure you've all noticed that a vehicle thats overtaking you is learly visible in the extra mirror but disapears when you look in the car mirror!

Whilst we're on the 'what i see' i can't belive some of the mis-matched outfits i see!

Keep the replies comming!

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Wrong Roger!

"WRONG - if they increase your field of view you do NEED to fit them, your rearward view would be inadequate without them."

The vehicles mirrors are mono planar. With the towing mirrors I have not one but two planes on view.

Even better than the the vehicle is sold with, you might be right in if you said use them when solo, but then in my case it would be illegal.

Dec 6, 2007
Visit site
Hi JTQ, Not sure what you mean about Mono Planar,

I agree that if you leave the mirrors on its illegal as they protrude more than a set distance from the vehicle [i think its 200mm]i know my other half had to learn all about it when she did her B+E test last year,

there's also a formula to work out if you need mirrors, its something like if the caravan is more than 200mm wider than the car [excluding mirrors] you need them.

gareth

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Hi JTQ, Not sure what you mean about Mono Planar,

I agree that if you leave the mirrors on its illegal as they protrude more than a set distance from the vehicle [i think its 200mm]i know my other half had to learn all about it when she did her B+E test last year,

there's also a formula to work out if you need mirrors, its something like if the caravan is more than 200mm wider than the car [excluding mirrors] you need them.

gareth
The driver's door mirror is a single flat sheet of glass. Not curved or split as with some vehicles to expand the field of view.

With the two mirrors I have two separate images set to a wider field of view . as I can set the angle between them, I can optimise that field of view.

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
Yes, always use them.

But unfortunately the chances of getting stopped for not having them when needed are so remote it seems many just don`t bother.

Maybe its just like a lot of people driving solo - don`t use them then so why change the habit of a lifetime?

Dec 6, 2007
Visit site
The driver's door mirror is a single flat sheet of glass. Not curved or split as with some vehicles to expand the field of view.

With the two mirrors I have two separate images set to a wider field of view . as I can set the angle between them, I can optimise that field of view.
Right, i see what you mean now.

Dec 6, 2007
Visit site
Yes, always use them.

But unfortunately the chances of getting stopped for not having them when needed are so remote it seems many just don`t bother.

Maybe its just like a lot of people driving solo - don`t use them then so why change the habit of a lifetime?

LOL Angus!

don't get me started on front fog lights..............!

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
We always fit them - thought it was a legal requirement on the driver's side anyway. Must say though that we really struggle with the nearside one (magnifying) and can actually see better in the car mirror - we have a zafira so it's already got quite big mirrors. We like to fit towing mirrors to both sides anyway as we find the extra width helps us to judge gaps better as we're both new to towing and still getting the hang of it.

Jul 18, 2006
Visit site
I use extra mirrors on EVERY trip without fail, and extra visibility is a bonus.

I also have blind-spot mirrors on my car mirrors (look like the back of a spoon - convex) and they really help when you are going round roundabouts or on sharp bends to make sure you don't bump up kerbs with the caravan.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I splashed out at the NEC and got a pair of Repusel ones. I used them over Easter and thought they were very good with fantastic view both sides. Not cheap at

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I always use towing mirrors on both left and right of the car.

By law you nee done on the right anyway.

The added benifit of four rear view mirrors is a bonus when reversing.

You could " get away with" the standard car door mirror on the left, but missing a safe view of the left side when pulling out of junctions is worth the extra

TRENDING THREADS