Mitsubishi L200 Barbarian as a tug

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Hi

Does anyone tow with the 2.5TDImanual version of this? How does it perform asa tug and what is the fuel economy like when towing?

Thanks

Dave

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
my father has a shogun sport which is almost identical but a car rather than a pick up, he likes it BUT he only does around 4000 miles per year in it due to horendous fuel consumption and very poor ride dynamics.
it is a good car for pulling you out of trouble and will tow almost anything however its very very noisy inside its tiring on the motorway due to only having 5 gears and the ride is pretty awfull, seating position is truly un comfortable as your legs are almost flat to the floor.
the only reason my father still has the car is its such a low mileage vehicle and he has another smaller car to use when not towing so the fuel economy is not a huge problem to him and the car is virtually worthless due to no body wanting them.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Hi Dave, funny how peoples's opinion defer, suppose thats what makes the world go around.
I have the Shogun Sport albeit a 3.0lt Auto. It is also the petrol version and my opinion is completly the reverse of icemakers dad, but like him I also do less than 4000 miles per year thats why the fuel consumption does'nt bother me, never have I checked or indeed wanted to work out the MPG. This is due to it being an excellent, comfortable (I am quite short though) drive/tow car, I do not have any of the noise problems that is discribed above. I tow a 1700kg single axle van. The only thing I wish I had was the cruise control
I previously had the high top, 7 seater, 2.8 diesel Pjero (grey import) now that to me was a disaster and got rid as fast as possible.

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Hi Kev
Thanks also for your views which are much appreciated. I've since been thinking of trying an automatic rather than manual for towing but still sticking to a diesel for the fuel economy. I can live with a little extra engine noise.

I've posponed a decision until the new year but I also want the pickup for the business. I'm told there's a new Toyota HiLux out any time so I may have a good look at that also before making a final decision.

Thanks again

Dave

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Hi Kev
Thanks also for your views which are much appreciated. I've since been thinking of trying an automatic rather than manual for towing but still sticking to a diesel for the fuel economy. I can live with a little extra engine noise.

I've posponed a decision until the new year but I also want the pickup for the business. I'm told there's a new Toyota HiLux out any time so I may have a good look at that also before making a final decision.

Thanks again

Dave

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
I tested one towing a caravan, and must be honest and say that it had the slowest witted steering that I've ever encountered on any vehicle (including old HGV's, PSV's etc, etc). It was almost as if everything was connected by elastic. Turn the steering wheel - wait a while - ah, we are turning. As they're based on commercial type vehicles, they are really bouncy without any load, and very crude (noisy, tinny etc, etc). I'm sure there are better vehicles of this type.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts