Mobile Broadband in a caravan

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I don’t know for sure, but I think transmitter licences is to do with radio frequencies.

John
Obviously a mobile phone will transmit to the mast as well as receiving transmissions.

All communications systems using mobile phone technology require two-way transmissions - which only require user licences if there's amplified relays involved.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Obviously a mobile phone will transmit to the mast as well as receiving transmissions.

All communications systems using mobile phone technology require two-way transmissions - which only require user licences if there's amplified relays involved.
You are paying for the user licence when paying your monthly subscription and it is the operator that pays the licence for that phone frequency. However the unit refer to does not seem to be associated with any cell phone provider as it is amplifying a signal and then transmitting it to a receiver.
I am not sure if they have a sim card, but reading up on specs for some a sim card is noit required. It is a weird one as the unit is not licenced to transmit to a mast etc if no sim card.
I am only going on information that I read a couple of months ago. It is not illegal to sell the unit, but it may be illegal to use them? There was quite ba debate about it even though the authorities are ignoring the issue at present. Probably because a digital signal is hard to track.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
The Falcon router has a SIM in it and is effectively the mobile phone as far as the system is concerned. Inside the caravan it radiates a wi-fi field which allows you to access the web etc etc. In terms of phone use it operates the same as if your home is in a not-spot and your SP provides you with a unit that accesses the phone system through your broadband connection. You just set your phone to 'wi-fi calling' and it will route your calls over the wi-fi inside the van for the router to feed to the external aerial. Note that the Falcon unit only operates 3G and 4G (and presumably 2G for speech and texts) but whilst it partly covers the 5G frequency band it doesn't appear to be able to use the 5G coding.

The other option as mentioned is to get a mi-fi unit that accepts an external aerial connection and get a suitable (passive) external aerial from the likes of Solwise. Go have a look in your local branch of Computer Exchange (uk.webuy.com) as they often have mi-fi units at sill cheap prices. I can't speak for other but most of the Huawei E5xxx series do seem to have external aerial connectors type TS9. (mi-fi = mobile wi-fi)

Feb 12, 2022
Visit site
We also use a TP link, we added on another sim to our mobile package for around £8.00 per month. My package has unlimited data so I can 'gift' data to the sim in the TP link.
Internet is very important to us with teenagers and we have successfully ran all the usuals and a PS5 with no issue so far.
Wouldn't go anywhere without it!!

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I have just been impressed with a TP-link home extender I bought last week, £20, some are £50 plus. Dual band, easy to set up and got rid of the dead spots at home. Different kit (though similar), I know. But this extender is streets ahead of my old one.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have just been impressed with a TP-link home extender I bought last week, £20, some are £50 plus. Dual band, easy to set up and got rid of the dead spots at home. Different kit (though similar), I know. But this extender is streets ahead of my old one.

John
My son is giving me one as the MAC is as far away from the router hub as it can be. Also being a Mac Mini it seems to be shadowed by furniture. So when I’m on Facetime with my son using the MAC I frequently have the call frozen. Yet using it for streaming and web browsing it’s fine. As I’ve got a two hour meeting on Teams in March which involves three parties I thought I would try the TP extender. My fall back is using Teams on the IPad propped up on a table. That worked fine for the last long meeting.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
My son is giving me one as the MAC is as far away from the router hub as it can be. Also being a Mac Mini it seems to be shadowed by furniture. So when I’m on Facetime with my son using the MAC I frequently have the call frozen. Yet using it for streaming and web browsing it’s fine. As I’ve got a two hour meeting on Teams in March which involves three parties I thought I would try the TP extender. My fall back is using Teams on the IPad propped up on a table. That worked fine for the last long meeting.

This is the one I just got.

Strange as no aerials but quite neat looking. And it works a treat.

The only strange thing is it gives a couple of options of how to set it up. They did not work immediately. I then found it had a WPS button which was not mentioned in the instructions. Simply pressed that and the one on my router. Job done.

John

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site

The only strange thing is it gives a couple of options of how to set it up. They did not work immediately. I then found it had a WPS button which was not mentioned in the instructions. Simply pressed that and the one on my router. Job done.

John
Might give that item a go with my laptop (y)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

John
Looks to be a useful piece of kit and quite unobtrusive. The one my son is giving me is very similar in appearance but not certain of the model number. Was hoping to get over to Wales yesterday and pick it up and to enjoy the atmosphere in Cardiff for the match but domestics prevailed. So going for three days this week. Gardening or decorating services then get me a very nice meal in his local. Don’t get such treats at home.

Feb 6, 2022
Visit site
Some really helpful advice here thank you all.
Seems plenty of people with experience of mifi and mobile phone hotspots, but limited experience as to whether external aerials make any significant difference.
I would have expected that any router would benefit from an aerial since it takes the receiver from inside the caravan and puts it out in the open. I agree this won't improve a weak signal, but surely it would make the difference between the weak signal penetrating the caravan shell and it not needing to.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Bear in mind that if you use the TP-L device (I too have one) you will need to find a location where it can get a good signal from your ISP router and provide a good signal in your poorly covered area - not as easy as you might first think!
TP-L also do a pair that use your mains wiring. You plug the unit <into the wall socket> adjacent to your router and use an ethernet cable to connect the unit to your router. You plug the other end <into a wall socket> elsewhere in the house and it will both provide you with an ethernet port for wired connection and radiate a wi-fi signal to give you the missing coverage.

They MUST be plugged into a wall socket and not an extension block otherwise you will suffer significantly degraded range, both wired and wi-fi.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Bear in mind that if you use the TP-L device (I too have one) you will need to find a location where it can get a good signal from your ISP router and provide a good signal in your poorly covered area - not as easy as you might first think!
TP-L also do a pair that use your mains wiring. You plug the unit <into the wall socket> adjacent to your router and use an ethernet cable to connect the unit to your router. You plug the other end <into a wall socket> elsewhere in the house and it will both provide you with an ethernet port for wired connection and radiate a wi-fi signal to give you the missing coverage.

They MUST be plugged into a wall socket and not an extension block otherwise you will suffer significantly degraded range, both wired and wi-fi.
Thanks. My son is also “ donating” a pair of similar extenders from BT.

Feb 6, 2022
Visit site
This looks like the right kit to have and the price looks very competitive considering it comes with an external aerial and the router can handle two sims to cover multiple networks.
The only drawback I can see is that the aerial boasts 5g, but it looks like the router is 4g only.

I wonder if anyone has any thoughts:

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
This looks like the right kit to have and the price looks very competitive considering it comes with an external aerial and the router can handle two sims to cover multiple networks.
The only drawback I can see is that the aerial boasts 5g, but it looks like the router is 4g only.

I wonder if anyone has any thoughts:

It's also the cost to fit. Like it says on the page, a dealer would need to fit to maintain the warranty.

I put the hotspot on my phone and then leave it between the skylight and the blind!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It's also the cost to fit. Like it says on the page, a dealer would need to fit to maintain the warranty.

I put the hotspot on my phone and then leave it between the skylight and the blind!
No need for a dealer to fit it. If fitted by a third party there is no issue with warranty except in the area where the work was done to fit the unit.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
No need for a dealer to fit it. If fitted by a third party there is no issue with warranty except in the area where the work was done to fit the unit.

Perhaps. But with a nearly new caravan and its warranty to consider, i would rather pay more and have a dealer to it, rather than arguing it with Swift later if an issue arises.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

John
The TP unit my son gave me worked but cluttered up a drawer top. Similarly my daughter gave me a recent Sky extender but being flat that too was in the way. So I bought one of the plug in TP 300 from Argos vat £17.99. Not dissimilar to yours, thanks for the heads up. Setting it up was a doddle. It sits neatly on the landing in a power socket and the TP Tether app lets me turn off or turn on its LEDs at a specified times. Also the app allows me to power it on or off to a flexible daily schedule. Overall a really useful and inexpensive piece of kit. The signal in the garden is much stronger so wifi calls are possible, given that our mobile signals aren’t good.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1286627?istCompanyId=a74d8886-5df9-4baa-b776-166b3bf9111c&istFeedId=ec80e37c-7084-4de4-acaa-75978d50b2af&istItemId=ixilqwxxx&istBid=t&_$ja=tsid:72556|acid:B008ZAH6|cid:273141549|agid:1199567223953833|tid:pla-4578572625934786|crid:74972956823102|nw:search|dvc:m|st:argos wifi booster|mt:be|loc:&cmpid=BPLA01&utm_source=Microsoft_Ads&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=273141549&utm_term=default&utm_content=shopping&utm_custom1=1199567223953833&utm_custom2=B008ZAH6&msclkid=de8a40d9e1fd1788401c22c7e8534048&gclid=de8a40d9e1fd1788401c22c7e8534048&gclsrc=3p.ds

Last edited:
Reactions: Jcloughie
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Perhaps. But with a nearly new caravan and its warranty to consider, i would rather pay more and have a dealer to it, rather than arguing it with Swift later if an issue arises.
Whether a dealer does it or not the same thing applies with the warranty. Either way you are covered by the CRA 2015 for the work done by the third party who may be a professional at fitting the unit.
Highly unlikely the dealer as the expertise or can do the work and they will farm it out to a third party anyway.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The TP unit my son gave me worked but cluttered up a drawer top. Similarly my daughter gave me a recent Sky extender but being flat that too was in the way. So I bought one of the plug in TP 300 from Argos vat £17.99. Not dissimilar to yours, thanks for the heads up. Setting it up was a doddle. It sits neatly on the landing in a power socket and the TP Tether app lets me turn off or turn on its LEDs at a specified times. Also the app allows me to power it on or off to a flexible daily schedule. Overall a really useful and inexpensive piece of kit. The signal in the garden is much stronger so wifi calls are possible, given that our mobile signals aren’t good.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1286627?istCompanyId=a74d8886-5df9-4baa-b776-166b3bf9111c&istFeedId=ec80e37c-7084-4de4-acaa-75978d50b2af&istItemId=ixilqwxxx&istBid=t&_$ja=tsid:72556|acid:B008ZAH6|cid:273141549|agid:1199567223953833|tid:pla-4578572625934786|crid:74972956823102|nw:search|dvc:m|st:argos wifi booster|mt:be|loc:&cmpid=BPLA01&utm_source=Microsoft_Ads&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=273141549&utm_term=default&utm_content=shopping&utm_custom1=1199567223953833&utm_custom2=B008ZAH6&msclkid=de8a40d9e1fd1788401c22c7e8534048&gclid=de8a40d9e1fd1788401c22c7e8534048&gclsrc=3p.ds

Thanks for the heads up. Strangely enough we have no issue with wifi signal in the conservatory at the back of the home and furtherst away from the router, but the two bedrooms oppposite the room where the router is located struggle with signal. I suspect it is because the room has brick walls?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

I put mine on the landing also, it was only the front bedroom where I had problems. Mine has dual band. Not sure if this is a big advantage or not.

It’s interesting what you say about the tether app. I downloaded it as that was how my instructions told me to pair it. That actually didn’t work, so I used the WPS buttons which was very simple. I just leave mine on 24/7, but I was not aware of the scheduling. I will give it a go.

re TP link. yes the extender is good. But I have two of their security cameras. They seem fine but I could think of how they and their app could be improved. TP link are poor at responding to questions and don’t have a chat option.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I put mine on the landing also, it was only the front bedroom where I had problems. Mine has dual band. Not sure if this is a big advantage or not.

It’s interesting what you say about the tether app. I downloaded it as that was how my instructions told me to pair it. That actually didn’t work, so I used the WPS buttons which was very simple. I just leave mine on 24/7, but I was not aware of the scheduling. I will give it a go.

re TP link. yes the extender is good. But I have two of their security cameras. They seem fine but I could think of how they and their app could be improved. TP link are poor at responding to questions and don’t have a chat option.

John
The lights can dual up as a landing nightlight if required. But we have movement sensitive ones any way.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
OC could I respectfully suggest you find out how to use Tinyurl or bit.ly when you are inserting a link. On long addresses like that it is often difficult to see where on ends and another starts especially if the text wraps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts