Mobile Broadband in a caravan

Feb 6, 2022
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm looking at spending quite a bit of time caravanning and had some questions about internet that I'm sure your collective genius will make short work of:
1. Does anyone have any experience of using mobile broadband from a caravan? I'd be looking to hold work video meetings and possibly even use an Xbox. I'm sure it would be signal-dependent, but I'm curious how practical this would be.
2. Does anyone have any recommendations for sim solutions? I'm struggling to find a cost-effective way of managing a phone and router sim without just paying for two completely separate accounts for 2 years! Surely it should be possible to share data etc.
3. Is there anything in particular I should be considering hardware/configuration-wise. I'd be looking at a router with omni-directional antenna.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Your choice of caravan site will be crucial.

I use a Three Network dongle when on sites without free wifi - it works well enough for surfing, emails, banking, etc but your use is likely to be much heavier.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Hi, and welcome to the forum.

In my opinion. Simply tethering to a phone works extremely well. I can watch Netflix while she uses the iPad.

But obviously it is completely signal dependant. This used to be a real problem. But for around 3 years now I have always managed to get a signal.

I increase our chances by making sure both phones are on different networks. (Remember, Lots like Smarty, are not networks).

Prices are now massively lower than ever. One of our phones is on Virgin. But Virgin are in the process of moving from Vodafone to O2, So had to make sure mine was different. I am with Smarty which uses ‘3’. Great service easy to use and switch plans monthly. They are now adding a data only sim.

I just try to improve my options to avoid disappointment.

I can see that boosters may help. But they can be costly and so far I have been OK. But then I don't use mine for business.

If you are moving around you can check signal first either with the site or on line.

I think that the ability to watch movies is as much as you may need. But you need to think that you will need a good upload signal as well. Not sure how you can check that.

John

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
I use a TP-Link 7650 device with a Smarty SIM.

The Smarty unlimited data SIM uses the Three network and costs me £16 per month on a special deal.

Works well for all my WiFi and streaming needs with Amazon and ROKU streaming devices up to 4K.

Tethering is a solution but some networks don't allow it.
Also, you can't use your phone to make and answer calls if you a streaming.

However, it is important that you check network coverage on the site you are staying on to make sure you get the best SIM for that area.

Cheers :)

Reactions: Malx
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We use a Three sim with unlimited data costing us £20 a month and tether to the phone. Use it for Prime and Netflix and we have only had an issue on one site which was in a dip so selection of site is crucial.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Three tends to have problems as they, as a company, do not tend install 4G sites unless they can see a good return on them.
IME O2 - or its subsidiary GiffGaff - has much the best rural cover. With GG you operate your account from their web page. and they have a very helpful community. You can get 80Gb for £20/month, or 'always on' for £25/m but it slows down once you exceed 80Gb. (Yes, it doesn't make sense to me either!) A golden goodybag (as they call them) is £35/m but totally unlimited. Both of these include unlimited calls and unlimited texts. O2/GG are also ATM the only SP that allows you to use your home credit in Europe without additional charges (they are owned by the Spanish PTT operator Telefonica after all!)

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
When we are away I use a EE network dongle pay as you go so far it has work well i like checking emails and anything else .

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Ah, but the OP said in his quiet time he may want to watch videos or play (presumably interractive games) on his XBox - which is a very different usage pattern from checking emails!

In about four years (should have been this year which should have been 2018) the Emergency Services Network (replacement for Airwave) will come on line which <may> significantly affect system availability.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Well there is a 12month Xbox game pass ultimate available to EE pay monthly mobile customers, when taking a new Samsung Galaxy S21 5G

Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
I use my phone as a hotspot and can tether other computers to it. If it’s a 4G signal it works very well. The advantage of a dedicated device is that it’s likely to work better in areas of weak signal strength.

look at the Offcom site, you can see which suppliers have the best signal. Some operators have a really poor performance away from populated areas. You could look at likely reception and choose a site based on that.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I use my phone as a hotspot and can tether other computers to it. If it’s a 4G signal it works very well. The advantage of a dedicated device is that it’s likely to work better in areas of weak signal strength.

look at the Offcom site, you can see which suppliers have the best signal. Some operators have a really poor performance away from populated areas. You could look at likely reception and choose a site based on that.
We had a dedicated unit and it made no difference. If the signal is weak unless you use an amplifier nothing is going to change.

Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
Here is the Offcom signal checker. First enter a postcode. Once you have entered a location you can find a button that links to a map, then you can zoom our to see a wider area, or the whole country, switch between the 4 providers, and select voice or data.

A relative of mine has worked from a caravan during most of lockdown. He had an unlimited data SIM, but was near a Motorway. Had no problems, apart from Zoom calls in heavy rain. The noise was distracting and he didn’t want clients to know where he was working.

F08C2753-3048-415C-9CCF-A5D432F46B2B.jpeg

Apr 13, 2021
Visit site

The Smarty unlimited data SIM uses the Three network and costs me £16 per month on a special deal.

Works well for all my WiFi and streaming needs with Amazon and ROKU streaming devices up to 4K.

However, it is important that you check network coverage on the site you are staying on to make sure you get the best SIM for that area.

Does your device have an external aerial?

Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
Totally agree that amplifying a weak signal is pointless, however of you have a device with a better aerial, sited outside the caravan, shouldn’t this help?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Totally agree that amplifying a weak signal is pointless, however of you have a device with a better aerial, sited outside the caravan, shouldn’t this help?
Signal outside the caravan will always be slightly stronger as you are no longer in a Faraday cage. However if no awning and it is raining are you prepared to leave the unit outside the caravan? What if you go out and forget the unit is still outside the caravan? If you knew where the 3G / 4G mast was located it would help. Not sure if you get a digital signal finder for mobile phones?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Here is the Offcom signal checker. First enter a postcode. Once you have entered a location you can find a button that links to a map, then you can zoom our to see a wider area, or the whole country, switch between the 4 providers, and select voice or data.
Using that it shows no signal in our area or most of the village from any operator. I assume that all operators use the same mast.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
O2 and VF now often use the same mast as they share their distribution; EE and 3 do the same. However it does not mean that they all share the same mast unless that mast is owned by an outside organisation such as Arqiva. You need to do a bit of local research - the users of the boxes/streetcabs/cabins are almost always clearly marked. The only one that may not be is Airwave which are usually recognisable as they have a large external fan duct on the door.

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
Does your device have an external aerial?

No it doesn't nor does it have the facillity to attach them but it still works very well. If you think about it, mobile phones don't have external aerials anymore. I know there are mobile WiFi devices available with aerials but I don't know if they are any better than those without.

Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
This is a solution designed for motor homes / caravans. not cheap at £300, and you need to install it (hole in the roof). I see Falcon technology sell a range of solutions that can include installation, but are more expensive.

Give it a few years and caravan 4g /5G Wi-Fi be standard equipment on caravans as the price drops.I read an article that the government are looking at 5g as a solution to provide fast internet to rural homes. Much cheaper than cable installation.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
This is a solution designed for motor homes / caravans. not cheap at £300, and you need to install it (hole in the roof). I see Falcon technology sell a range of solutions that can include installation, but are more expensive.

Give it a few years and caravan 4g /5G Wi-Fi be standard equipment on caravans as the price drops.I read an article that the government are looking at 5g as a solution to provide fast internet to rural homes. Much cheaper than cable installation.

However if the cell phone signal is weak, it still will not work properly. If it amplifies the signal then it is probably a transmitter and if it is a transmitter then you probably need a licence?

Reactions: RogerL
Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
the device the device I put a link to has an aerial external to the caravan. So that should improve reception. With a good aerial you can get reception from a mast that’s further away. The device will need to transmit to the mast. It will have a caravan battery as a power supply, so will be designed to transmit with greater power than a phone, but stay within the regulated limits.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
the device the device I put a link to has an aerial external to the caravan. So that should improve reception. With a good aerial you can get reception from a mast that’s further away. The device will need to transmit to the mast. It will have a caravan battery as a power supply, so will be designed to transmit with greater power than a phone, but stay within the regulated limits.
Why would it need to transmit to the mast? If it is a transmitter then by law I am fairly sure you would need an operator's licence? Sorry if I have misunderstood.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Why would it need to transmit to the mast? If it is a transmitter then by law I am fairly sure you would need an operator's licence? Sorry if I have misunderstood.

I don’t know for sure, but I think transmitter licences is to do with radio frequencies.

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts