Mobile Caravan Service req'd - Merseyside

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
Hello

Can anybody recommend a mobile caravan service engineer in the merseyside area?

We used to have it serviced at Discover in Chorley but it's now out of warranty and they have sadly closed I believe. I just need a general service on the 'van. Only one thing wrong is that I can't get the gas heater or gas water heater to work. Never have been from new to be honest. Maybe theres a gas valve I'm not opening?

Regards

Ian

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi Ian
I would highly John McKay who trades as Caravan Care. He is a mobile engineer based in Warrington and is a member of the AWS scheme.
He serviced our 'van last year and this is the review I wrote soon after.

I would like to strongly recommend, without reserve, a mobile service engineer; John who trades as Caravancare Ltd, Warrington.

www.caravancarecheshire.co.uk

We used him, for the first time, for our annual service last week. He serviced the 'van on our drive so there was no need to tow it to and from the dealers' workshop, with the time and inconvenience that had previously involved.

John was pleasant, knowledgable and helpful and did a very thorough service - he was happy for me to watch him working. It was great to have the opportunity of discussing a number of caravan issues with him. He is registered with the NCC Approved Workshops Scheme and so was able to stamp our van's service book and ensure continuity of its warranty. He has a 99% customer rating on the NCC website. John charged £160 for the service (single axle) itself and a very reasonable £30 for the following additional work:

(1) Fitting (not supplying) an Alko 3004 hitch

(2) Fitting and wiring in(not supplying)a fridge vent fan

(3) Repairing the battery box lock

(4) SUPPLYING and fitting a new Alko towbar to our towcar.

I had, also, arranged for him to supply and fit a replacement jockey wheel. This had not been delivered to him and so he returned the following week to fit it. As I was out at the time he fitted the jockey wheel and left the invoice for me to pay at a later date, very trusting as I had I had never met him before!

Unfortunately, he had misunderstood what I wanted and fitted a standard jockey wheel rather than the Alko Premium type I wanted. When I pointed this out to John on the phone, without any complaint whatsoever, he instantly agreed to obtain the correct jockey wheel and return and change them over in the near future.

John returned again yesterday and, as I was again out, changed the jockey wheel for the Alko Premium one and posted the invoice for £95 through our letterbox for me to pay at my convenience. As John takes credit card, another convenience, I was able to pay over the phone.

I will definitely being using John again next year for the 'van's service. I recommend him without reservation.
Subsequently to this I had a concern with our Powrtouch motor mover the day before we were leaving for the eurotunnel and our summer hols in France last July. Powrtouch were unable to send an engineer before we were due to leave so in desperation I contacted John. He came the same morning and checked over the motor mover. When he couldn't find any problem he refused to accept any payment and would not even allow me to pay him for his time.
I would recommend John with reservation and he will be certainly be booked for our 'van's service this year.
Feel free to mention my name, Tim from St Helens.
Regards
Tim

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
I forgot to mention that last year I had, also, booked John to give our 'van's fridge. He had agreed to do this at a reduced price as he was coming anyway for the service. However when John removed the outside fridge vent he found the outlet to be so clean, as it had been used exclusively on electricity, that he said that the fridge did not need servicing.
A less scrupulous person would have gone ahead and carried out the fridge service unnecessary.
A truly honest and reliable trader.
I'm NOT on commission by the way. (Unfortunately)
Regards
Tim

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
A good comprehensive independent review with a recommendation is worth it's weight in gold Tim, thanks for that.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts