Mobile Madness

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yesterday we were returning from Incleboro Fields CC Site in Norfolk back to Essex. I had just entered Essex heading towards Colchester on the A12. The cruise control was set at bang on 60. I noticed I was very slowly gaining on a small car up ahead. I like to leave a good distance between me and the car infront espeacially when I am towing, a good job I did. For no aparent reason he suddenly slowed from just under 60 down to about 40 mph. My choice was to slam on the brakes and risk a rear end smash, or swerve out into the next lane to go past. Fortunatley nothing was coming so I over took. As I went past I glanced accross to see this idiot with his head stuck in his mobile phone, obviously reading or writing a text. Had I been one of the tail gateing variatey such a sudden deceleration could've caused a serious accident. With all the publicity about the ban on mobiles when driving. this incident really made me appreaciate how right the ban is. It's a pity there arn't a few more police about to inforce it.

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
Agree with you totally Julian. If our 4 year old sees someone driving whilst using a mobile he shouts "Get off your phone, you idiot!" Not that the offender can hear him but even he knows it's wrong (we admit he's picked it up off us!!) Even before the ban, we never, ever used our phones when driving. This law really does need enforcing, more so than people going slightly over the speed limit. Really feel that using a mobile phone when driving is far more likely to cause an accident than someone doing 34 in a 30 zone.

If you had been involved in an accident at the weekend, you can bet your life that you'd have got the blame as you would have gone into the back of him. He'd have probably blamed your caravan on the back of your vehicle for pushing you forward and caused a longer braking distance.

Glad you were able to avoid a mishap.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
The best I've seen was while driving down the M5 between Brum and Worcester (not towing). All the traffic was slowing down and braking and back where I was it was coming to a crawl due to people jockeying for position to get into the outside lane.

When I eventually was able to pull out and overtake I was gobsmacked to see no other traffic in the middle lane apart from this one car and those who had already overtaken. Looking alongside as I passed this female was holding the steering wheel with her left hand while looking downwards. She must have had her phone held on by velco to the steering wheel because she was texting with her right hand. I know it takes some believing but only wish there was someway I could have filmed it. She was totally oblivious to the mayhem behind.

Aug 1, 2007
Visit site
I think all new cars should have a chip to stop mobile phone from being used when the engine is running, And all other cars have it fitted at the next service/mot,

Nov 26, 2006
Visit site
The first time I tried to use a mobile whilst driving, I rapidly concluded it was a stupid idea, and have never tried it since. The phone in question was about the size of a breeze block, so you can tell how long ago that was!

One problem is that the gov., as usual, backed down in the face of cemmercial interests, and permitted the use of hands-free mobiles and radios (as per taxis etc.). Unfortunately, the real problem is not having a hand occupied, but the distraction that occurs when speaking to someone NOT IN THE CAR. This is was the research showed, but the various interests made so much noise about losing money that it was watered down.

The only people allowed to use any form of radio communications device whilst driving should be the emergency services, and then only in an emergency and if there is no passenger to handle it.

Problem with the calling preventing device; why should my passenger not be able to make a call?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Approaching a roundabout, slowed to let the car in the roundabout go round. The driver held a phone to his ear with his left hand, whilst steering with his right, which also held a sandwich! Not a good example, as the car was a marked police car, and the driver in full uniform.

One law for them, another for us.

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
I believe it is to late to stop drivers using mobile phones. Sadly as a lady driver I have to say that the majority of drivers I see using hand held mobiles are ladies. And to often with children on board.

It would not solve the problem, but all mobiles should be sold with car mounts. And all car drivers should be forced to declare that they have car kits for mobile their use.

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
Had occasion to visit Beverly Hills earlier this year. Nearly every driver there has a mobile phone in his/her ear. What I don't understand is why do drivers of expensive cars not have car kits fitted - it can't be because of cost, and they all have dealer fit options for phones anyway?

Keith

KnL

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Approaching a roundabout, slowed to let the car in the roundabout go round. The driver held a phone to his ear with his left hand, whilst steering with his right, which also held a sandwich! Not a good example, as the car was a marked police car, and the driver in full uniform.

One law for them, another for us.
Emmerson, You should have jotted down his reg no and grassed him to his bosses.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts