MONDEO 163 HP TDCi

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi - Anyone towed with this model.I am aware how good the 140hp but thought for the extra £450 the 163hp and with it's extra torque this might be the way to go. Just out of interest Ford and Whatcar show it in the same insurance group and the same mpg as the 140hp.Your views and comments would be welcomed. Zackie

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
The site I used put the 140 as a group 19 and the 163 as a group 22.Probably easier to consult your current insurance provider to quote for the two models.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
zackie said:
Hi - Anyone towed with this model.I am aware how good the 140hp but thought for the extra £450 the 163hp and with it's extra torque this might be the way to go. Just out of interest Ford and Whatcar show it in the same insurance group and the same mpg as the 140hp.Your views and comments would be welcomed. Zackie
The manual should be ok, but avoid the so called automatic like the plague!

Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
We've got on the mag - as a manual. It's quicker and it pulls 6th gear towing a van more easily than the 140, but unless you have a very big van, I would not worry about upgrading if it is going to be a lot of money. If the money is sensible however, it does make for a more relaxing time on the motorway.

The new PowerShift gearbox is completely new and tows brilliantly BTW. I know some owners (Surfer included?) had problems with the old, conventional autobox. There is a link to the Towcar Awards 2011 test of the car here. The tests are completed by WhatCar?, C&CC and Practical Caravan

Any other questions, we've got it in the car park so ask away...

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Nigel Donnelly said:
We've got on the mag - as a manual. It's quicker and it pulls 6th gear towing a van more easily than the 140, but unless you have a very big van, I would not worry about upgrading if it is going to be a lot of money. If the money is sensible however, it does make for a more relaxing time on the motorway.

The new PowerShift gearbox is completely new and tows brilliantly BTW. I know some owners (Surfer included?) had problems with the old, conventional autobox. There is a link to the Towcar Awards 2011 test of the car here. The tests are completed by WhatCar?, C&CC and Practical Caravan

Any other questions, we've got it in the car park so ask away...

My Mondeo was a 2010 140bhp auto so cannot comment on the new boxes, but my understanding is that they are not a torque convertor box. We loved the car as it was great for towing, but using the box was frightening at times and Ford were no prepared to update the software. Perhaps you could comment on the type of box.
We were given a full refund as we were able to demonstrate the fault. We later bought another tow vehicle and a 2011 Ford Fiesta as we thought otherwise the cars were excellent value.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
That is the same gearbox that we had and yes it does all those things with one fundamental flaw. If slowing down using the engine and the brake, to about 20 - 15 mph and then accelerating, the car hesistates as it cannot decide whether to remain in the selected gear or whether to change down. This is very worrying especially if you have judged that it is safe to proceed, but the the car can't make up its mind what to do and effectviely the car goes into neutral.
Ford admitted that this was a trait of the car which is why I was able to cancel my lease and get a full rfefund and also a refund for the towbar that was fitted. The CC motoring journalist also mentions this in his review of the car. Except for this very dangerous trait, it is an excellent car but not one I would trust with the lives of my family!
If I was able to drive a manual comfortably, I would without doubt opt for the Mondeo manual to lease or buy.

Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
Surfer, can you tell me what model year, engine and trim your Mondeo was please? I've driven the car and didn't notice this trait but I'd like to look into it further to see if we should be drawing buyer's attention to this. Many thanks

Nigel@practicalcaravan.com

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts