Mondeo Hatch or Estate

Mar 21, 2007
Visit site
We are about to purchase a new towcar to pull our Abbey 520 with a MTPLW of 1415kg. We have decided on a Mondeo mainly because of value for money although we realise it will depreciate faster than most especially with the new model about to be introduced. Our question is, should we get a hatchback or estate? My wife would prefer a hatch for everday driving but I suspect the estate would be better suited to caravanning. The weight ratio for the hatch is 93% and estate 90% so we know we are near the limit. Is this 3% worth considering especially as all the heavy stuff like gas bottles, spare wheel, awning, food etc will be stored in the car. Your thoughts on this would be much appreciated. Sorry, initially posted this in new members forum. Thanks Rich

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Richard,

A few things:

1. Don't travel with gas bottles in the car - the safe place for these is in the caravan gas locker.

Let alone the danger of a metal keg rolling around the car after an accident (either to you or any emergency services), there is the danger of the gas valve releasing LPG gas into the car. Not a good idea.

2. The Mondeo and it's ilk will depreciate - are you going to buy new or almost new - when someone else will have eaten a good part of the depreciation already.

3. I'd go for the estate - especially for those versions with self-levelling suspension (not? available for the hatchback) - as this will help with towing, ride height, and traction on slippery surfaces.

Robert

Mar 21, 2007
Visit site
Hi Richard,

A few things:

1. Don't travel with gas bottles in the car - the safe place for these is in the caravan gas locker.

Let alone the danger of a metal keg rolling around the car after an accident (either to you or any emergency services), there is the danger of the gas valve releasing LPG gas into the car. Not a good idea.

2. The Mondeo and it's ilk will depreciate - are you going to buy new or almost new - when someone else will have eaten a good part of the depreciation already.

3. I'd go for the estate - especially for those versions with self-levelling suspension (not? available for the hatchback) - as this will help with towing, ride height, and traction on slippery surfaces.

Robert
Thanks Robert, our present van is a Ranger 460/2 towed with a Primera 2.0 petrol. The gas bottles and spare wheel are stored in the front locker. When I got it home from the dealer the noseweight was 137kg. So as there is nowhere else in the van to stow them I resorted to the well behind the front seat and towels between as the best I could come up with. Even then the noseweight was still 87kg. But point taken. Will buy a nearly new car so someone else will take the initial depreciation. Would have to purchase a Ghia to get self leveling suspension which is too much. I noticed on another part of this site someone used a suspension upgrade so I may well look at that. Rich

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Richard i have just picked up my 2005 Mondeo 2.0 TDCI GHIA X today, mine is a 5 door hatch.So far i have only driven it home some 30 miles or so, but if its first trip out is anything to go by wow what a car.I have had a tow bar fitted and can`t wait to put my 1400 kg caravan on the back and get going this easter.Good luck with your choice and keep us posted.

Regards

Andy

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Richard, I bought a nearly new 2.0 litre tdci 130 hatch a few months ago. I am really chuffed with it and can't wait to tow. In the past I have had estates but was impressed with the cavernous boot on this car. It has certainly dealt with all the boxes from IKEA with the back seats folded down. Having just completed a shopping trip to France I achieved over 50 to the gallon with 3 people and a fair bootfull of liquid refreshments. Just one word of caution, watch the speedo! best wishes George T.

G

There is an interesting artcle on the Mondeo in the latest issue of Which Caravan. It confirms it is an excellent towcar, but does highlight some areas of concern, especially after a bit of mileage has been done. So as the prices are relatively cheap then use, and trade on to get value from them.

Dec 7, 2005
Visit site
Richard, I couldn't decide on a Mondeo hatch or estate to pull our 1350kg van. Spent weeks and weeks looking at all the data and asking questions, I thought self levelling on the estate was the must have, however the wife did not want to drive an estate every day. Finally purchased a 2.2st tdci hatch and it tows like a dream. Great stability due to slightly stiffer suspension and power....... it just pulls and pulls. Obviously because I have one I would recommed the 2.2tdci, but each to their own. The decision Hatch or Estate without being able to try towing with them was a difficult one though.

Best of luck, Whatever you choose I'm certain the Mondeo won't disappoint.

TRENDING THREADS