Mondeo tdci 130 estate.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi all just changed my car to the new mondeo... Has anybody got any tips or advice about its towing ability. We have a new Bailey ranger 550/6. The two make a dead on 85% match, but any comment would be much welcome.

Regards

Tony

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A thought has just occurred to me ( why does this happen just before I go to sleep!! - I will be thinking of this problem all bl**dy night now!) With the known problem of 2wd Front WD cars being pretty useless on wet grass mud etc when towing especially, due to the load being at the other end of where the drive is. Has anyone produced a kit that can place a tow hitch on the front of one of those vehicles.

Many 4x4's used as recovery vehicles have a towhitch mounted on the front - especially those used to recover boats on trailers from slipways - manouvrability is far better and easier but with a Front Wheel Drive car you would have the added benefit of the load being closer to the drive wheels.

Any one know of such a device - would be worth making one and having a play?

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
There is such an animal Clive, a company called Watling Engineers LTD make them, they are detachable too.

See this months mag's classifieds under towing.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi loftboy

I've got the Zetec 2L tdci (130) 52 reg with low profiles. It's an absolutely brilliant towing vehicle, the torque is superb, nothing's too much trouble for it. It returns well on diesel both solo and towing.

Wheel spin is a problem but I've managed to overcome this by going gently on the gas. I've only been bogged down on a field once and thought I'd have a problem pulling away but it was fine.

I think you'll be really pleased with it, insurance is dirt cheap too. If you put your foot down solo, it goes like a rocket!

Have you got the six speed version?

Lisa

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
does this model have self levelling on the back and if not what spec Mondy do you have to get to get self levelling.

Im looking for a tdci 130 prefer the estate.

Aug 1, 2005
Visit site
Had one until a few weeks ago. It towed like a dream, was very stable with a 1400kg caravan behind it. We had the ghia x which had the self levelling suspension. The only thing is she didn't like wet grass, I also went through a set of front tyres every 12 months because of the wheel spinning [with the caravan on]. I have now got a 4x4 as we are getting a bigger caravan. Miss the fuel consumption. Mark

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
I have a tdci 130 LX, and it tows my Avondale Argente (1400kgs) no problems at a match of about 93%. Really pleased with car, cheap to run and insure too!

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
I bought a brand new 6 speed estate TDCI last year ,and it tows my Senator Indiana a treat ,where i live in Swansea South Wales there is quite a few steep hills and there and theres no trouble pulling up them ,i average 29MPG towing and 37 around town solo , and sometimes i travel to Farnborough in Hampshire to work which is 165 miles away so i leave at 4,30 AM and when i start the journey i zero the MPG meter and as soon as i get on the M4 Motorway i keep in 6th gear as much as possible traveling at no more than 70 ,the best economy i have had is 64.8 MPG , i have tried to beat that figure since but the nearest i have come is 62

Oct 12, 2005
Visit site
Hi Loftyboy!

Have you used your Mondeo yet to tow and if so are you happy with it? We too are thinking of changing to a 2litre TDCi 130 Ghia Estate to tow our Avondale Rialto 550/4 with a gross weight of 1300 kgs.

Any comments would be welcome.

Thanks

Carol

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Carol

yes we used it to tour france four five weeks. Nothing but praise for the handling and ability of the car. Excellent MPG and it seems to have no problems with the Ranger (1325 MPLW) in tow, even in 6th gear. make sure you go for the self leveling rear suspension.

let me know if you need any more info.

loftyboy

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
We had a 52 plate lx estate tdci it was a fantastic tow car. got a freelander now which is also great. I would def buy another mondeo tdci. If you do get one get the later tdci not the tdi, that was a bit sluggish

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
driven both a tdci 130 and tddi 115 and not much difference in reality.

however, there are known reliability problems with the newer tdci engines , flatspots,cut-outs, misfires and dodgy EGR valves.heard of someone who was hammering down the outer lane of the M1 when it cut-out totally.

this aint an isolated case either.

look here. www.fordmondeo.org/forum

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts