Mondeo TDCI Faults ?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Great towcars by the looks of posts , I have the chance of getting one but are there any faults to look for , has anyone experienced problems . the one I am looking at is a 52 plate 130ps with 45K on clock .

Thanks Pip

May 20, 2006
Visit site
The car is a mighty fine tow car, however there are some faults.

The clutch is a pig, very snappy, its either up or down but no inbetween, my mates with tdci's also complain of this so i know its not just me. The clutch is also mega expensive to replace, my mate just paid 580 quid to replace his after 20,000 miles.

Check the rear doors inside at the bottom, very prone to rapid rusting down there, most seem to suffer with this as the rain ponds on top of the seal. really, check this before you buy.

Apart from those two faults it tows like theres no van connected, dont let me put you off the car, its fantastic and super reliable. good luck

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The car is a mighty fine tow car, however there are some faults.

The clutch is a pig, very snappy, its either up or down but no inbetween, my mates with tdci's also complain of this so i know its not just me. The clutch is also mega expensive to replace, my mate just paid 580 quid to replace his after 20,000 miles.

Check the rear doors inside at the bottom, very prone to rapid rusting down there, most seem to suffer with this as the rain ponds on top of the seal. really, check this before you buy.

Apart from those two faults it tows like theres no van connected, dont let me put you off the car, its fantastic and super reliable. good luck
Mike , many thanks , i will look into what you`ve said when i give it a second viewing . Pip

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a 53 plate TDCi hatch six-speed, and the clutch is probably the best I've ever had - light, smooth and feels very robust. It has done 35,000 miles to date, about 8,000 of which is towing, mostly in Europe, averaging 36mpg towing, and 51 solo in a mixture of town and rural. On a long m-way run, where you can use 6th gear to the full, it does 64. It is an excellent towcar.

I do wonder if Ford changed the clutch between the 52 and 53 model years.

Graham

Jun 2, 2005
Visit site
I have a TDCI 130 Mondeo estate, on an 04 plate, and have now done 32,000 miles, without any fault whatsoever. The car is now coming up for its 3rd service, and 1st MOT, and has been a pleasure to own.

I tow a Bailey Pageant, and it really is effortless,my only criticisms of the car are

1.The clutch is very fierce,but I have never had any trouble with clutch slip.

2.Traction on wet grass, with the van on the back, is very poor,due in my opinion to too much power.

Handling is great, and economy is fantastic. The on-board computer shows my diesel consumption averaging 51 mpg since new !!!

The best car I have ever owned, in 45 years of driving.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
agree torally with above,mines is a 53 plate tdci 130 bhp hatchback,tows effortlessly,have recently purchased new caravan 1515 kg,loaded sterling eccles,will try it out and believe me would be reluctant to swop mondeo but may have to if its to light

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jeffrey,

When towing off the wet grass you mention wheel spin, have you tried not using the throttle just use the tick over revs only,

I have a vectra 2.2 dti which when using the trottle does the same , just using the tick over revs has alowed me to pull off the grass onto hard tarmac.

Royston

Jun 2, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jeffrey,

When towing off the wet grass you mention wheel spin, have you tried not using the throttle just use the tick over revs only,

I have a vectra 2.2 dti which when using the trottle does the same , just using the tick over revs has alowed me to pull off the grass onto hard tarmac.

Royston
Hi Royston,

Yes, using tick over revs only, is the only way I have been able to get off a site in wet weather, but from stand-still it is difficult with a fierce clutch.

I now try to position the van, so we can leave site, in a downhill direction, wherever possible, - in case it is wet when we leave. But this is a very small price to pay, for a superb tow car. Cheers, Jeff

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a TDCI 130 Mondeo estate, on an 04 plate, and have now done 32,000 miles, without any fault whatsoever. The car is now coming up for its 3rd service, and 1st MOT, and has been a pleasure to own.

I tow a Bailey Pageant, and it really is effortless,my only criticisms of the car are

1.The clutch is very fierce,but I have never had any trouble with clutch slip.

2.Traction on wet grass, with the van on the back, is very poor,due in my opinion to too much power.

Handling is great, and economy is fantastic. The on-board computer shows my diesel consumption averaging 51 mpg since new !!!

The best car I have ever owned, in 45 years of driving.
Thanks for all the feedbacks , I too have a Pageant so should do the job nicely

Jul 23, 2005
Visit site
hi a few problems i have come across being a mechanic is they suffer from injector problems and are not cheap to replace and the bottom crankshaft pulley is a common fault on idle there is a sort of grumbling noise

also the rear cross member bushes go you get a knocking over bumps i had this on a 51 plate and as far as i am aware they have not changed them but powerflex make the bushes for these at a fraction of the cost of a new cross member

the tddi is more reliable

hope this helps

dan

Jun 28, 2006
Visit site
My friend also owns tdci Zetec estate and tows a swift challenger with no probs. But his clutch is a beast very sharp on a 04 plate. He also has no traction on wet grass.Someone thought that the problem was too much power but i own a saab 95 30tdi on a 02 plate and dont have same wheel spin as he.So i would rather have thought there is a traction problem with the mondeo.Where my buddy does but me hands down is the fuel he can return 35+ when towing to mine 26. For the money you wont find better.

Feb 23, 2007
Visit site
Hi all

My first post on here so here goes.

I have just sold my 53 plate tdci mondeo after 2 years and the faults i had are as follows.

1/ 40.000 miles the fuel pump gave up taking with it all the injectors and all the fuel lines.

May 20, 2006
Visit site
Hi, seeing as this thread has been resurected i thought i would comment on the mondeo's ability in the snow.

I was coming home from work the other week in the thick snow and as i drove up the hill to our estate there were abandoned cars stuck in the snow on both sides of the road.

The mondeo simply powered up the hill and not for a second did i think she would get stuck, brilliant.

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
somebody mentioned clutch.

be aware that the mondeo like so many modern high torque diesels

has what is known as a dual mass flywheel.

If you are considering buying one that has done a fair few miles

for towing or that has already been used for towing, this

dual mass flywheel is a wearing part and costly to replace

ie, with a new clutch it could easierly exceed

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
I have a 130 TDCI estate 04 plate ,and i tow senator indiana 1500 KG ,i have done 35000 miles so its due for its 3rd service ,i also tow a trailor with my job ,plus i also own a Nissan Terrano 2.7 ,7 seater and i cant see any difference with the clutch on the 2 vehicles ,the clutch on the Mondeo is still as good as new ,on a long run down the M4 at 430 AM keeping in 6th gear as much as possible and staying around 60 MPH ,i have had 64.2 MPG ,allthough its only around 40 MPG normally ,and i get 29 MPG towing ,the only fault i have had is a split hose on the turbo ,most clutch wear is down to the driver riding the clutch and not using the hand brake ,and most wheel spins are down to the drivers lack of clutch control ,allthough in the winter i normally use the Terrano depending on the weather forecast

Jun 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

my son hasa TDCI 130ps with about 35k on the c;ock and it has been totally trouble free. Try Warranty Direct website or Parkers for used car reliabilty information.

Mar 23, 2005
Visit site
Hi

We had a 02 plate mondeo estate 130.

I liked the car untill an injector blew taking out the injector control unit (ICU). After having to wait for 5 weeks for the ICU & fighting with Ford to help with the bill got the car back.

The car was definatly better after but I never had the confidence in the car after.

Cheers for now

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Do not want to sound rude, but 35k trouble free.

Id expect that of even the worse modern diesel.

With so many company cars doing that in a year and hitting 100k

in 3 years, i'd say that the goalpost have been moved way past

that mark, when talking about reliability.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Isn't this the same engine in the new Freelander, if so theres going to be some disatisfied owners out there, unless Ford have sorted the problems out. Bazz.

Jul 9, 2006
Visit site
On the clutch note, we have ST220's at work and the clutch is much sharper on the 03 with a 5 speed box. Ford must have changed something when they went to 6 speed boxes as the clutch is much more forgiving. As far as I'm aware, the diesels and the ST's use the same clutch (might be wrong though!)

Jul 9, 2006
Visit site
On the clutch note, we have ST220's at work and the clutch is much sharper on the 03 with a 5 speed box than the 04 on with 6 speeds. Ford must have changed something when they went to 6 speed boxes as the clutch is much more forgiving. As far as I'm aware, the diesels and the ST's use the same clutch (might be wrong though!)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just bought a 130 before Christmas and I am really looking forward to towing with it. My old car was a 51 plate 2.2 Vectra petrol estate. That did 30 to the gallon. Now I am getting 50. When towing with the Vectra I reckon I was getting 3 and a half miles to the litre. Expensive just getting to Cornwall last August when petrol was over a

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just bought a 130 before Christmas and I am really looking forward to towing with it. My old car was a 51 plate 2.2 Vectra petrol estate. That did 30 to the gallon. Now I am getting 50. When towing with the Vectra I reckon I was getting 3 and a half miles to the litre. Expensive just getting to Cornwall last August when petrol was over a

Apr 23, 2005
Visit site
Pip, Have been towing with the Mondeo for 4 years (Graphite 03 manual 2.00 tdi) and on the road it towed my Compass (1300 kg) like a dream with motorway speed exceeding 70mph if you did not watch the speedo. I had a 5 gear model which cruised effortlessly at 60mph in 5th at 2000 revs. Can't give you the tow fuel as I never took the trouble to monitor this but solo average was high forties in fact my wife has a new Fiesta 1.4 which is far less economical even for local trips. Solo it was fantastic, on a trip across France we were cruising at 100 mph like a dream. Also boot space with or without the rear seat folded is huge.

Now the (for caravanners) bad news....

Clutch (as you will see in other posts) can be a problem, early on I cooked mine a couple of times reversing my outfit in my storage depot. I cured this by buying a motor mover!

First gear is a little high which means you can stall if not putting enough revs on. Only problem then is you can spin the front wheels if you are on an incline or road surface is loose, wet or whatever. Nose weight is of course a factor here and like most saloon cars of this type is only 75 kilos.

As we have just exchanged or van for a 1500 kilo Bailey we have had to reluctantly part company and it was exchanged last week for a Freelander 2. Only hope this gives us similar service.

In summary, if you can cope with a few negatives which I am sure will be present in most cars you will find it hard to beat the Mondeo both as a tow car and a comfortable solo.

May 20, 2006
Visit site
After all my positive comments it looks like i have just suffered the dreaded injector problem, its going into the garage this afternoon to see what the problem is, i did some nosing online and found that the flashing glow plug light and running on emergency mode does seem to be a common issue. hopefully its just one injector (about

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts